Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay  (Read 10401 times)

Description:

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
Re: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 20, 2008, 03:22:32 AM »
Greetings ami-junki,

ami_junki wrote:
@anivichano

Hi Anivichano,

Welcome to Amiga.org,

Thanks! :-)

I had written to you early on, I am amiga.junkie on ebay, sorry to see that you have been have problems selling the machine and with ebay.

Thanks for your concern and good wishes.  It was never a problem with ebay and quite honestly, I've enjoyed the commotion this entire incident has caused :-)

Overall, its been no trouble at all ... if anything, I believe more people are now aware of the sale :-)

I guess the Amiga community is so jaded that it is tough for them to accept real deal sometimes. I wish you all the best for selling the machine and thank you for helping me out, I look forward to it greatly.

Good luck with the auction!

Its been a pleasure!

Many thanks,

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 03:25:27 AM »
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:
@anivichano

Does DvD still do video work?  I presume if he does he's switched to Final Cut.

Sorry, but Dick has not jumped ship to Final Cut.  He has stayed very loyal to the company who started it all for him ;-)

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:

The company that started it all for him died April 29, 1994.  No one should be expected to stay loyal to a company that has been dead for almost 14 years.

Besides one of the previous posts said that he used the current version of Lightwave and Daz Studio, so clearly he uses either a PC or Mac now...

Only one of the companies died in 1994.  As you've pointed out, Lightwave is still around and that company makes other products, still.  The Toaster is far from dead and with all the hardware and software support, its quite impressive.

As for the MAC, in my opinion, Steve Jobs has killed it!  The last REAL MAC was the G5 and I'm greatly saddened at its demise.  :-(

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:
Leopard on a MacIntel is probably the quintessential Mac experience so far.

I bet DvD is using Lightwave 9.3 as we speak.

I'll take that bet :-)

The last version of Lightwave which would import Poser scenes is back in Lightwave 7.x ...

He does have version 9.3 and I'm guessing that he uses it ... but I spent a lot of time reverting his one system to Lightwave 7.x, since I'd mistakenly updated that one, too ... he was not happy.

He's much happier now :-)

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:24 AM »

ami_junki wrote:

Exactly!  I got a MacBook but the experience somehow is just not the same anymore infact makes me wanna get a G5 again, getting well annoyed with the whole Mac scene ... well at least the Amiga scene is still great!
 :lol:  :lol:  Still can`t beat painting with Deluxe Paint 4 on an A1200 and listening to mods .... ahhhh the great memories

People don't understand that the REAL magic of the MAC was that wonderful Motorola CPU. ... the same family as the Amiga ... by comparison, Intel is back in the stone age!!! ...  Anyone who trys to tell me otherwise doesn't appreciate the true beauty of the MAC!

So what does Jobs do????  He sells out to Intel!!! Sets the MAC back 20 years!!! (in my opinion, of course).

Next I'm expecting the traitor to sell out to M$ in a huge way ... I'm betting that the next MAC OS will be MacVista!!  :-P

Sorry ... didn't mean to get on a soapbox, but the traitorous practices of the computer community have really upset me .... don't get me started on the auto industry or our despicable leaders!!!

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
Greetings motrucker,

Thanks for the info.

I know that there are many reasons why Jobs went away from Motorola.  Heck, for that matter Commodore tried to bring in Intel as the "new Amiga" and that failed.

In all, its very sad to see the magic go away, regardless of the technology or the excuses.  Woz was my hero ... on the MAC side. ... on the other side, Miner and Haynie are burned into my brain cells :-)

With the increasing popularity of Linux, there may finally be a chance for basic computer design to progress past the 1960's :-)

And cudos to AMD for their efforts!!!

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:08:57 AM »
Greetings stefcep2,

stefcep2 wrote:

Quote: "In all, its very sad to see the magic go away, regardless of the technology or the excuses. Woz was my hero ... on the MAC side. ... on the other side, Miner and Haynie are burned into my brain cells "

What negatives, exactly, have resulted in the look and feel of Macs since they changed CPU's?  What is this "magic" you speak of that "has gone away"?

In this particular case, the Amiga is still far superior to current systems in hardware.

Just the basics .... until the AMD64 systems came out, the Amiga user interface was, overall, faster than the PCs.

I could swap out hard drives, while the Amiga was running, without crashing ... just now, with eSATA, one can swap only those drives.

Not to mention that ridiculous alphabet system .. c drive, d drive ... ect. ... on Amy, you could name a drive, whatever you wanted (on MAC, too). ... as well as setting which partition you wanted to boot from.

Don't forget the wonderful assigns, so that you have shortcuts to your most often paths.

Now, with respect to MAC, the biggest issue (and its minor for most) is the way the memory and hard drives are accessed to give a "smother" and more responsive human interface ... a sign of quality, in my book.

Quote:"With the increasing popularity of Linux, there may finally be a chance for basic computer design to progress past the 1960's "

I have been dabbling with Linux

I think its sad that there have been some really good propriatory OS's eg AmigaOS,BeOS, OS/2 that have failed but Linux isn't the way forward yet

I agree with you on the quality of Linux, but that has nothing to do with my hopes.  I'm hoping that the widespread use of Linux allows different hardware configurations to come of age.  The current wintel monopoly does not allow for much deviation of the Intel hardware design, which is a dinosaur from the 60's (IMHO) and its time that hardware evolve to at least the level of the Amiga, if not to 1990's tech levels!

Trouble is, as long as M$ dictates the OS and supports Intel as the hardware platform of choice, there will be very little advancement.  As it was, AMD "strongarmed" M$ into releasing XP64 when AMD testified at M$ ant-trust hearings ... we might still be stuck with only 32bit systems, otherwise.

Chicken and the egg syndrome ... if you can't get better hardware, you won't get better software (OS) ... Linux may be the stepping stone to break that mold?

In all, I don't disagree with you at all.  I'm just hoping for better! :-)

Thanks,

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 07:49:27 AM »

DaBest wrote:

But the real question is???????????

How's the ownderfull Amiga sad invention of a BATTERY doing

In this case, very well.  This motherboard uses the button type batteries.

Help, please.  How would I go about to upload a photo for this group?

Many thanks,

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
Greetings Invisix,

Invisix wrote:

I don't care what anyone says... I still think this guy totally duped people into believing this was Dick Van Dykes A4000T.

Some people are very gullible.

You have a right to your opinion.

On the other hand, unsubstantiated opinions are just a lot of hot air.  Is it really more important for you to speak without doing ANY research, at all?  I find that very unkind.

Kindly view:
http://www.landas.com/Quick/PICT00013.JPG
http://www.landas.com/Quick/PICT00021.JPG
http://www.landas.com/Quick/PICT0003.JPG

Smaller 640X480 views -
http://www.landas.com/Quick/small_PICT00013.jpg
http://www.landas.com/Quick/small_PICT00021.jpg
http://www.landas.com/Quick/small_PICT0003.jpg

Thanks,

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »
Greetings Miked,

Miked wrote:
I can't help but think if those pictures were part of the ebay sale, the price might have been much higher!

It would have been nice, but it was not the objective.  Besides which, hindsight is 20/20 ... I didn't even think of that, when I picked up the machine, otherwise I would have taken some picks.  Of course, Dick's schedule did not allow me to get some picks, during the listing :-(

To me, personally, this was a success.  Dick is happy, the guy who bought it is ecstatic and I'm happy ... I really can't ask for more :-)

I hope all of my transactions are as successful (and entertaining) :-)

Its always a real pleasure to work on an A4000T or A3000 ... no matter how much people rave about their new machines, in my heart, the Amiga is still #1 !!!

Alex

Offline anivichano

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 04:23:20 AM »
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:
And check out the replacement computer in the background!  Looks like Dick continues his NewTek ways with a WIndows PC.

Actually, there are 3 PCs there ... however, that 42 inch monitor will work on MACs as well :-)

Westinghouse LVM-42

It doesn't have the high resolution that the MAC 30 inch monitor has, but the size is so that he doesn't need to wear glasses and that resolution is fine for video work.

And yes, I've been lusting after that monitor :-(

Alex