Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay  (Read 10307 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay
« Reply #89 from previous page: January 20, 2008, 05:13:28 PM »

anivichano wrote:
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:
@anivichano

Does DvD still do video work?  I presume if he does he's switched to Final Cut.

Sorry, but Dick has not jumped ship to Final Cut.  He has stayed very loyal to the company who started it all for him ;-)

Alex

The company that started it all for him died April 29, 1994.  No one should be expected to stay loyal to a company that has been dead for almost 14 years.

Besides one of the previous posts said that he used the current version of Lightwave and Daz Studio, so clearly he uses either a PC or Mac now...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline anivichano

• Show only replies by anivichano
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:

The company that started it all for him died April 29, 1994.  No one should be expected to stay loyal to a company that has been dead for almost 14 years.

Besides one of the previous posts said that he used the current version of Lightwave and Daz Studio, so clearly he uses either a PC or Mac now...

Only one of the companies died in 1994.  As you've pointed out, Lightwave is still around and that company makes other products, still.  The Toaster is far from dead and with all the hardware and software support, its quite impressive.

As for the MAC, in my opinion, Steve Jobs has killed it!  The last REAL MAC was the G5 and I'm greatly saddened at its demise.  :-(

Alex

Offline persia

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2008, 02:55:27 AM »
Leopard on a MacIntel is probably the quintessential Mac experience so far.

I bet DvD is using Lightwave 9.3 as we speak.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ami_junki

• Show only replies by ami_junki
    • http://www.cd32gamer.info
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »

anivichano wrote:
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:

Only one of the companies died in 1994.  As you've pointed out, Lightwave is still around and that company makes other products, still.  The Toaster is far from dead and with all the hardware and software support, its quite impressive.

As for the MAC, in my opinion, Steve Jobs has killed it!  The last REAL MAC was the G5 and I'm greatly saddened at its demise.  :-(

Alex

Exactly!  I got a MacBook but the experience somehow is just not the same anymore infact makes me wanna get a G5 again, getting well annoyed with the whole Mac scene ... well at least the Amiga scene is still great!
 :lol:  :lol:  Still can`t beat painting with Deluxe Paint 4 on an A1200 and listening to mods .... ahhhh the great memories

Offline anivichano

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »
Greetings persia,

persia wrote:
Leopard on a MacIntel is probably the quintessential Mac experience so far.

I bet DvD is using Lightwave 9.3 as we speak.

I'll take that bet :-)

The last version of Lightwave which would import Poser scenes is back in Lightwave 7.x ...

He does have version 9.3 and I'm guessing that he uses it ... but I spent a lot of time reverting his one system to Lightwave 7.x, since I'd mistakenly updated that one, too ... he was not happy.

He's much happier now :-)

Alex

Offline anivichano

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:24 AM »

ami_junki wrote:

Exactly!  I got a MacBook but the experience somehow is just not the same anymore infact makes me wanna get a G5 again, getting well annoyed with the whole Mac scene ... well at least the Amiga scene is still great!
 :lol:  :lol:  Still can`t beat painting with Deluxe Paint 4 on an A1200 and listening to mods .... ahhhh the great memories

People don't understand that the REAL magic of the MAC was that wonderful Motorola CPU. ... the same family as the Amiga ... by comparison, Intel is back in the stone age!!! ...  Anyone who trys to tell me otherwise doesn't appreciate the true beauty of the MAC!

So what does Jobs do????  He sells out to Intel!!! Sets the MAC back 20 years!!! (in my opinion, of course).

Next I'm expecting the traitor to sell out to M$ in a huge way ... I'm betting that the next MAC OS will be MacVista!!  :-P

Sorry ... didn't mean to get on a soapbox, but the traitorous practices of the computer community have really upset me .... don't get me started on the auto industry or our despicable leaders!!!

Alex

Offline persia

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2008, 05:06:21 AM »
It's nostalgia, that's why we're here.  I remember Amiga from my youth, playing the old games makes me young again and for that I am thankful, but even a duo core Mac runs rings around the Amiga for video and audio production.

The Amiga harkens back to an earlier age in technology, an age where they allowed white out in reports and papers, an age where things like simple video transitions would create a wow in friends and colleagues.

Such as it ever was.  Our kids will become nostalgic over a computer with only a couple of cores and barely 2 gigs of RAM.  Their kids will be nostalgic over things that are unimaginably complex to us.  That's life.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline motrucker

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
@ anivichano

I had read way back when, that Jobs didn't really want to switch to intel, but had no choice. He, and Apple had a practice of not taking all (most?) of the Motorola CPUs they ordered when ready, and then months later would try to get the rest at a discounted price. The article said Motorola told Jobs to get it together, or get out. Or maybe just to go...
  I can't find that article now, But I know the news came from   the NCAUG (National Capital Amiga User Group) web site.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline anivichano

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
Greetings motrucker,

Thanks for the info.

I know that there are many reasons why Jobs went away from Motorola.  Heck, for that matter Commodore tried to bring in Intel as the "new Amiga" and that failed.

In all, its very sad to see the magic go away, regardless of the technology or the excuses.  Woz was my hero ... on the MAC side. ... on the other side, Miner and Haynie are burned into my brain cells :-)

With the increasing popularity of Linux, there may finally be a chance for basic computer design to progress past the 1960's :-)

And cudos to AMD for their efforts!!!

Alex

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »

Quote: "In all, its very sad to see the magic go away, regardless of the technology or the excuses. Woz was my hero ... on the MAC side. ... on the other side, Miner and Haynie are burned into my brain cells "

What negatives, exactly, have resulted in the look and feel of Macs since they changed CPU's?  What is this "magic" you speak of that "has gone away"?

Quote:"With the increasing popularity of Linux, there may finally be a chance for basic computer design to progress past the 1960's "

I have been dabbling with Linux (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora) for about 1 year.  It has a LONG way to go before it will even remotely be as user-friendly as AmigaOS is, or OSX is or even Windows is.  Fully-functional Linux is a resource hog about as much as XP.  Its display system X is a pain and so are the two GUI systems Gnome and KDE which are SLOW.  And its multitasking is POOR.  Its directory structure is not intuitive: important system directories, which are consistent across distros, have vague names eg "etc"-WTF?  And there is so much fartsing around to do really simple things.  Fine if you want to spend ages learning how your system works.  Oh did I mention if you use a "meta" distro ie constant updating one like PCLinux OS then you HAVE to update your system continuously with whatever new version of whatever file happens to pop-up in the repo's. Otherwise your computer may not boot after you installed that 500k emulator because it needed 550 MB of "updates" to work which you ignored because you thought it ridiculous to install 550 MB just to run a 500k emulator..Linux IMHO at the moment has the look and feel of an amatuer production.  I think its sad that there have been some really good propriatory OS's eg AmigaOS,BeOS, OS/2 that have failed but Linux isn't the way forward yet

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
yes but it's free. :-)
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline anivichano

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2008, 10:08:57 AM »
Greetings stefcep2,

stefcep2 wrote:

Quote: "In all, its very sad to see the magic go away, regardless of the technology or the excuses. Woz was my hero ... on the MAC side. ... on the other side, Miner and Haynie are burned into my brain cells "

What negatives, exactly, have resulted in the look and feel of Macs since they changed CPU's?  What is this "magic" you speak of that "has gone away"?

In this particular case, the Amiga is still far superior to current systems in hardware.

Just the basics .... until the AMD64 systems came out, the Amiga user interface was, overall, faster than the PCs.

I could swap out hard drives, while the Amiga was running, without crashing ... just now, with eSATA, one can swap only those drives.

Not to mention that ridiculous alphabet system .. c drive, d drive ... ect. ... on Amy, you could name a drive, whatever you wanted (on MAC, too). ... as well as setting which partition you wanted to boot from.

Don't forget the wonderful assigns, so that you have shortcuts to your most often paths.

Now, with respect to MAC, the biggest issue (and its minor for most) is the way the memory and hard drives are accessed to give a "smother" and more responsive human interface ... a sign of quality, in my book.

Quote:"With the increasing popularity of Linux, there may finally be a chance for basic computer design to progress past the 1960's "

I have been dabbling with Linux

I think its sad that there have been some really good propriatory OS's eg AmigaOS,BeOS, OS/2 that have failed but Linux isn't the way forward yet

I agree with you on the quality of Linux, but that has nothing to do with my hopes.  I'm hoping that the widespread use of Linux allows different hardware configurations to come of age.  The current wintel monopoly does not allow for much deviation of the Intel hardware design, which is a dinosaur from the 60's (IMHO) and its time that hardware evolve to at least the level of the Amiga, if not to 1990's tech levels!

Trouble is, as long as M$ dictates the OS and supports Intel as the hardware platform of choice, there will be very little advancement.  As it was, AMD "strongarmed" M$ into releasing XP64 when AMD testified at M$ ant-trust hearings ... we might still be stuck with only 32bit systems, otherwise.

Chicken and the egg syndrome ... if you can't get better hardware, you won't get better software (OS) ... Linux may be the stepping stone to break that mold?

In all, I don't disagree with you at all.  I'm just hoping for better! :-)

Thanks,

Alex

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »

monami wrote:
yes but it's free. :-)

And you get what you pay for...

Offline stefcep2

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
Quote:

"The current wintel monopoly does not allow for much deviation of the Intel hardware design, which is a dinosaur from the 60's (IMHO) and its time that hardware evolve to at least the level of the Amiga, if not to 1990's tech levels!"

I could not agree more with you on the sad fact that computer hardware nowdays is made to accomodate the Windows-way of doing things. And no amount of arguing this point with supposed senior members on the Linux forums could make them see that.

Linux is seen as the hope for PC revolution but being on some of those forums made me see that many of these "gurus" are not interested in moving Linux forward as a unit, but rather on moving their chosen distro fdorward relative to other distro's.  They DO NOT take constructive end-user criticism at all well eg I stated my concern re:meta-updates in PCLinuxOS, and the guy behind that distro told me to go elsewhere if i didn't like it and locked the thread.  This despite the fact that 80% of support questions for this distro arise because users do not want to constantly update the OS, and only want to install what they want.  They have,what about 80 distro's of Linux?, wasting their time on re-inventing the wheel, and other trivial things.  And as long as this lack of co-operation exists, MS will feel quite comfortable.

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
One could always use ReactOS

:roflmao:

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
What does any of this have to do with the topic? These topics always end up as some platform debate. Lame.