Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: hgcsales on ebay.....  (Read 6134 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: hgcsales on ebay.....
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »
Off topic, but based on his post, I would say Jeff Minter is a cry-baby prick.

I just had this discussion not long ago with a friend who is about six years younger than me.  He is in a kind-of limbo between the "retro" and "modern" consoles, and made a generalized assertion about "retro" gaming and nostalgia.

It quickly hit me that I do not play "retro" games solely for nostalgia.  Instead, in most cases I play "retro" games because they are good games, timeless games with great programming, story line or flow, and so on.  Some games just were and are still good, period.

And if you cannot stomach that, then get the fsck out.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, that 4000's been listed more than once now.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:25:59 AM »
@Fook,

I cannot really agree with the idea that he as a seller is one of the ones that drives up prices.  I believe his $500 A4000 has been re-listed once, so obviously people are not falling for his crap.

Either that, or someone who would have agreed to his out-dated and dubious payment terms asked him an honest question and he struck back at them with the venom that is his standard.

The guy is full of fecal matter of the highest stench.  I have seen MUCH better A4000's than his sell for what he is asking for what appears to be a bog-standard setup, excepting for the second floppy -- which still does not merit the asking price.

He is a putz and trying to squeeze as much as he can from those who still carry the faith.  He seems to me to be the kind of guy who would put an Atari 2600 Pac-Man cartridge up, list it as "rare" and/or "vintage" and demand $40 or more for it because it is still in the box.  Even though the damned things are as common as boogers and as rare as Brittany Spears court documents.

Of course, I am preaching to the choir and echoing the sentiments of many before me.  Some may see my diatribe as a waste of time, effort, and bandwidth, but a body will continue to react to a cancer until it goes away.  As does my mind.

I just wish there was some way to publicly out him in a way that would actually affect his ability to sell and buy Amiga.  I heard he uses intimidation tactics on buyers and sellers alike.  Were doing so not a real waste of effort, I would enjoy getting into a row with him just so I could squash him.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:47:28 PM »
Actually, what he's doing is probably illegal in terms of licensing.  "Modern PC systems are done this way" indeed.

What he's doing is using the same single set of OS disks to install each different hard drive heading out the door.  Contrary to OEM system builders who purchase a license for every installation that leaves them, and from whom you can purchase or receive for free the original installation media.

He's not just a phuqtard, he's a thief and a pirate.  And those are my legally defensible opinions.  I hope someone at Amiga reads these threads.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:45:40 AM »
Good thing he doesn't play the stock market, because that Amiga that he KNOWS is worth $500 didn't sell for that much.  I haven't checked, but I wonder if it will sell for the $399 or whatever he's asking for it.

I wonder how much not accepting PayPal hurts his sales.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
I said it in the deleted thread, and I'll say it here.

Anyone who feels they got ripped off by Doomy/HGC/whothefrakever, file a small claims suit.  Have a solid case and you can win a judgment against him.  Spend an hour with a lawyer to make sure you have everything straight.  You'll probably front a couple of hundred dollars or so, but you can get all that back in your mediation settlement or judgment.

Might be a moot point now that his eBay account is gone... unless he pops back up again, who knows.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »
Methuselas wrote:
Hi Arikel,

dan08 is lying about me.  Yes, he did email me wanting to buy my Amiga 4000, but, I never emailed him back.  I decided to just keep my Amiga 4000.  I do not know why that jerk is spreading lies about me.  I just picked up a whole van load full of Amiga stuff.  In all of that stuff there was a Cybervision 64/3D graphics card and a CyberStorm MKII 68060 board.  I plan to install these boards into my Amiga 4000.

Interesting.  Is he changing his stance on the A4000?  Is this blasphemy before the Great God A2000?

Last year, about this time, there were an average of 29 to 34 pages of Amiga auctions on eBay every day.  Now, there are only about 6 to 7 pages of Amiga auctions on eBay at any given time.  This is because jerks, like the people who are spreading lies about me, have pissed off many of the eBay sellers that were selling Amiga items.

This is a bold claim, not only historically but speculative as well.  I'd liken this to someone who says "I can't remember a December this hot!" but digging through weather history back 60 years shows that just about every December 11 in Tallahassee was 75 - 85 degrees (that happened to be the day someone made said challenge.)

To be fair, anyone who makes a claim against ANY Amiga seller, be it Doomy or otherwise, should provide evidence to back it up.  For instance, I had nothing but good experiences with Boogiegail, but many other people said otherwise -- I will not say they were lying, just that my experience is otherwise.

Pretty much all I recall seeing about Doomy is his outrageous and difficult to swallow claims of product quality (I know OCDs that don't wash their hands before using a computer, but we'll never truly know) and his abusive emails to customers and potential customers.  Frankly, those are enough to push someone like me away from dealing with him, aside from the fact that he won't accept a convenient and protective form of payment.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: no trolls allowed
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »
dan08 wrote:
Me.

After I posted the message, I received some very nasty E-Mails, that was why took the message back.  When people start to defend his seller, remember why he is not here.  What is most scary is, he is here, he got his point across earlier in the thread.  I am not going to mess this this fellow.  Not at all.

So if this is real at all, you man up and fight to get your money back, at the same time making him think twice about future scams.  Or you pussy out and just shut up.  Or you were embellishing from the start.

Which is it?

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: jeez freakin louise
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 03:05:49 PM »
Part of the problem with "six to eight weeks for shipping" is that you have no recourse with eBay in the event of a problem.  IIRC, they used to only give 30 days, which was BARELY enough time in most situations, but I think they now give 60 days.

I only accept PayPal on my auctions, period.  PayPal is fast and offers buyers protection in more ways than one.  If I as a buyer get screwed on a deal or don't receive the item within a reasonable period of time (you know, pay immediately after winning and no item at 28 days) then I can file a complaint.  I have had my money returned on a few occasions like this.

As a seller, it allows me a method for quick resolution.  Case in point, I sold a BaseBoard that had a missing pin which I didn't notice until the buyer pointed it out to me.  I looked back at the photos I took and, sure enough, there it was plain as day.  I knew the board worked none-the-less, but I felt obligated as this guy was going to have to get that pin repaired to ensure 100% stability.  With PayPal I was able to refund part of his money right away.

Try that with a money order.  I have purchased some items with MOs but only if the seller has a lot of good feedback.  I would use USPS or ones from Publix, depending upon what was convenient for me and if the seller was in the same country (USPS MOs work better for international.)

I agree that the Amiga community should do something against known scammers.  At the same time, I don't like being lumped into the group of resurrectionists: I *was* 10 when the Amiga came out, but I maintain no illusions of the Amiga rising again... unless I hit the MegaMillions jackpot  :crazy:

And I won't contest this: he'll be back with his same attitude, his same payment and shipping requirements, and the same outrageous claims and behavior.  The user name won't make a difference.  People who get ripped off need to realize that leaving him bad feedback won't hurt them even if he retaliates now that eBay has a feedback mediation process.  And if they REALLY think they got ripped off, sue his ass.  The legal system exists for a purpose, so put it to good use.

I'm tired of people who won't stand up to this guy in a way that would injure his ability to buy and sell Amiga.  "If you're not ready to act, give me a break and shut up!"

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »
AMIBY wrote:
>"If you're not ready to act, give me a break and shut up!"
Why don't you buy something from Doomy then? So you can file your own law suits?

That has to be one of the most asinine things I have read in a long time.  Isn't that a lot like walking in front of the bus so I can sue the driver?  Or perhaps a newly-awarded black belt strolling down a dark alley hoping to get mugged?  What would staging my own sting operation really accomplish?

My point is clear: there is a lot of talk from people screwed by Hans, a lot of sabre-rattling, and a lot of puffed out chests over the issue.  Pray tell, how many people with a genuine beef against him have done anything about it?  You can trade childish emails, you can post eloquent rants about him, but unless you actually take advantage of a system which avails itself to protecting people from bad apples like Hans, nothing will change and the rape will continue.

I honestly bet he laughs every time someone cries about what he has done to them, knowing full well there is little chance he will suffer repercussions from his actions.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 04:14:15 PM »
amiga92570 wrote:
Another thing, I have had a lot of fun on this board. I do believe lately however it has become very negative and seems there are too many users with multiple identities. seems its much less fun and informative then it used to be. So I as one will be logging off. Its been fun. Good luck to all of you in the New Year. :-)

I really hate to see someone who has been here as long as I have (at least as a registered user) and just as active leave because of the childishness of other users.  It should be people like us chasing THEM out, not the other way around.  Amiga.org is one of the last bastions of Amigadom, and I am disturbed that there are jack asses out there actively ruining it.  This really applies to the scene as a whole: we lose contributors, developers, and the like because there are a few {bleep}y, whiny ingrates out there.  Just ignore them.  Like most minorities, they will be the most mouthy and at times the loudest voice in the crowd, but they are weak in will and mind and it does not take much to push them out.

I, for one, am the one and only me here.  And those be damned who have to hide behind multiple identities because they are too cowardly to man up and own up to their own words.  These people surely live a trite and despicable existence, and lying to themselves about how cool they are because they pwn3d you in a forum is not going to change their miserable lives.