Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: How many Amigas do you own?  (Read 6533 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pha_q

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »
PM:

Quote

Boot_WB wrote:
Hi pha_q

Which dump in Manchester did it go to - I may be able to get across tomorrow.

Thanks in advance



Rich


Try them all, you might get lucky.
 

Offline Boot_WB

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2007, 06:05:26 PM »
pha_q

I should be able to get across to Manchester tomorrow.
I've sent you a pm asking which dump it was sent to. Manchester is a big place, and that's an awful lot of rubbish without narrowing it down a bit.

I think I remember your postings on Amibench - you wanted £1000 minimum if I remember rightly. It has been quite a while since you last posted it on there though.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)
 

Offline motorollin

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »
Quote
pha_q wrote:
Let it go to a good home? It's a computer, not a dog, you moron.

Wow, you really are obnoxious.

Quote
pha_q wrote:
As I said above, I'm not willing to shell out thousands so that someone I don't know gets a bargain.

Are you actually telling me you would rather destroy it so nobody can ever benefit from this hardware, which will never be produced again, and not even make hundreds back from it, just because you don't want to give someone the satisfaction of buying it for less than you paid for it?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10
 

Offline pha_q

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
Quote

Boot_WB wrote:
pha_q

I should be able to get across to Manchester tomorrow.
I've sent you a pm asking which dump it was sent to. Manchester is a big place, and that's an awful lot of rubbish without narrowing it down a bit.


I know, that's why I haven't given the location. If I wanted someone to have it I could have put a post on here - "A4K, free to first person salivating at my front door".
 

Offline Boot_WB

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2007, 06:13:28 PM »
Quote

pha_q wrote:
PM:

Quote

Boot_WB wrote:
Hi pha_q

Which dump in Manchester did it go to - I may be able to get across tomorrow.

Thanks in advance



Rich


Try them all, you might get lucky.


Yeah right!
I DO remember you from your Amibench ads - same arrogant tone.
You're obviously a rather bitter individual, and I'm glad I don't know you. This small encounter has been unpleasant enough.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)
 

Offline BinoX

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
Quote

pha_q wrote:
I know, that's why I haven't given the location. If I wanted someone to have it I could have put a post on here - "A4K, free to first person salivating at my front door".


I guess at the end of the day it was yours to do what you wanted with... Personally I'd have given it away to someone, but it's all down to personal choice what we do with our stuff.
Some people will ebay it, some people will hide it away for year and some people will throw it away.

I guess most people are upset about it because it's a nice piece of hardware that lots of people want to have, but unfortunately not many people have that kinda money, so to see it be thrown out like that is a little distressing. (Especially to me, kind-of-collector that I am)
Back to action!
 

Offline pha_q

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2007, 06:21:43 PM »
Quote

motorollin wrote:
Quote
pha_q wrote:
Let it go to a good home? It's a computer, not a dog, you moron.

Wow, you really are obnoxious.


You bloody started it. Or is {bleeping} idiot a term of endearment where you come from?

Quote
pha_q wrote:
As I said above, I'm not willing to shell out thousands so that someone I don't know gets a bargain.

Quote
Are you actually telling me you would rather destroy it so nobody can ever benefit from this hardware, which will never be produced again, and not even make hundreds back from it, just because you don't want to give someone the satisfaction of buying it for less than you paid for it?

--
moto


Previous attempts at selling it have been too much bother. Now I want the space back. Same with the PCs I binned, along with countless books and videos. It's no use to me anymore, therefore it's junk. Sure, I could have sold it eventually, maybe split the system up, but that would mean it hanging around the house for god knows how long, and placing more adverts. Easier to drive to the tip.
 

Offline BinoX

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2007, 06:25:25 PM »
Quote

pha_q wrote:
Previous attempts at selling it have been too much bother. Now I want the space back. Same with the PCs I binned, along with countless books and videos. It's no use to me anymore, therefore it's junk. Sure, I could have sold it eventually, maybe split the system up, but that would mean it hanging around the house for god knows how long, and placing more adverts. Easier to drive to the tip.


I understand where you're coming from now.. That does make a lot of sense..
I'm sorry that you haven't had much luck with the Amiga scene, it does seem to mess people around like that, it does seem that you got a lot of the worst of it though.
I wish you the best for the future.
Back to action!
 

Offline pha_q

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
Quote

BinoX wrote:
I guess most people are upset about it because it's a nice piece of hardware that lots of people want to have, but unfortunately not many people have that kinda money, so to see it be thrown out like that is a little distressing. (Especially to me, kind-of-collector that I am)


It wasn't just a nice system, it was a top of the line, maxxed out, dogs bollocks of a system. Power tower, 3 scsi HDs, CDRW, CSPPC, CybervisionPPC, Mediator, Ariadne, tons of software. Total cost was somewhere near 3 thousand.

Unfortunately, the responses I got were all along the lines of "It's old, I'll give you £200", or "Good luck, you must think we're stupid to buy that old junk". So I decided not to bother trying to find a "good home", or even a bad one.

Edit: And if you thinks it's distressing for you, how do you think I feel? Sold or dumped, this was my dream machine, and I've lost it. It took years to put this together, but my Amiga dreams ended long ago.
 

Offline TrevorDick

  • Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2005
  • Posts: 243
  • Total likes: 2
Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2007, 06:31:51 PM »
IMHO you should have listed on eBay. If it was an A4000 with PPC and in reasonable condition you would have got at least £500+ for it.  Breaking it down into components you probably would have got £700-800+ depending on the other contents of the A4000. Trick is not to charge a large upfront price, just let the Amiga collectors bid or it.  You would have been very surprised what people (including myself) are willing to pay for quality Amiga components. I have found the vast majority of Amiga eBay seller very good to deal with.

However as you say it's your choice to do with as you wish.  Just a shame you dumped a piece of retro computer history.

TrevorDick

Supporting all Amiga flavours
 

Offline BinoX

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
Quote

pha_q wrote:
It wasn't just a nice system, it was a top of the line, maxxed out, dogs bollocks of a system. Power tower, 3 scsi HDs, CDRW, CSPPC, CybervisionPPC, Mediator, Ariadne, tons of software. Total cost was somewhere near 3 thousand.

Unfortunately, the responses I got were all along the lines of "It's old, I'll give you £200", or "Good luck, you must think we're stupid to buy that old junk". So I decided not to bother trying to find a "good home", or even a bad one.


That was an extremely nice setup, it's a shame that you got messed around so much :(
Back to action!
 

Offline pha_q

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »
Quote

TrevorDick wrote:
IMHO you should have listed on eBay. If it was an A4000 with PPC and in reasonable condition you would have got at least £500+ for it.  Breaking it down into components you probably would have got £700-800+ depending on the other contents of the A4000. Trick is not to charge a large upfront price, just let the Amiga collectors bid or it.  You would have been very surprised what people (including myself) are willing to pay for quality Amiga components. I have found the vast majority of Amiga eBay seller very good to deal with.

However as you say it's your choice to do with as you wish.  Just a shame you dumped a piece of retro computer history.

TrevorDick



I thought of that long ago, but the problem with that strategy is that some parts are guaranteed to sell, like the CSPPC. Once that's gone, if you can't sell the rest you're left with a computer with no processor. Bit of a double edged sword really.
 

Offline BinoX

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
A4000 motherboard alone go for quite a lot... (I know 'cause mine's just died :( )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180128171868&rd=1&rd=1 for example..

Then the cards would probably have gone for £50 - £100 each
Back to action!
 

Offline stopthegop

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2007, 06:51:42 PM »
Good lord..  I cannot freek'n believe what I am reading.  This MUST be the work of a troll.  I would have given you $1500 for that system today.  The CSPPC alone is worth $750.  No one, and I do mean NO ONE, is that stupid to simply throw something like this away.  
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....
 

Offline skurk

Re: How many Amigas do you own?
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »
Quote

pha_q wrote:
None. My A4000T/PPC went to the dump this weekend, along with all software, magazines and peripherals.


Liar, liar, pants on fire.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1