Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shipping rip-off from these UK guys  (Read 4246 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Shipping rip-off from these UK guys
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 16, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »
All I wrote was:

"No offense, but your shipping price is a compelte RIP OFF! 100 freagging pounds for sending to the US? That's more than the "buy now" price of the box, and believe me the CD32 does NOT weight a ton!"

I'd take that offensively, but then I do business honestly (I have no idea whether this guy does), and I wouldn't take it particularly well if someone claimed that I was doing business dishonestly.

£100 for a 5kg item (let's say for argument) does seem excessive though.  Perhaps he sent it via some expensive post system?  Through normal post here (insurance comes with parcels worth up to £32 with the post office in the UK), I would guess it would cost half that, to the US, but I don't send much to the US, so I can't make any more than an approximate guess.

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 03:27:31 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
All I wrote was:

"No offense, but your shipping price is a compelte RIP OFF! 100 freagging pounds for sending to the US? That's more than the "buy now" price of the box, and believe me the CD32 does NOT weight a ton!"

I'd take that offensively, but then I do business honestly (I have no idea whether this guy does), and I wouldn't take it particularly well if someone claimed that I was doing business dishonestly.

£100 for a 5kg item (let's say for argument) does seem excessive though.  Perhaps he sent it via some expensive post system?  Through normal post here (insurance comes with parcels worth up to £32 with the post office in the UK), I would guess it would cost half that, to the US, but I don't send much to the US, so I can't make any more than an approximate guess.

No need to guess after my post above yours!  :rtfm:
mikeymike also started his post with "No Offence, but...>"

So why take offence!?...he aint wrong really!  :lol:

*edit*
If you use the link I posted & select a 5Kg parcel to the USA, it's as good as £80.00 & then take into account someone packing it, blah blah blah. £100 isn`t far off tbh & the Price Checker I posted above allows you to fine tune the exact postage costs for amount of Insurance cover, signed for, etc, etc. By the time your package has its arse covered, 5Kg has become a definitive £100 reality.  :-x
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Online amigakit

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
The problem is that unless the parcel is non-literature (books/letters) then the limit that a Post Office can send is 2KG (4.4Ib).  Also there are size limitations which I think the CD32 box would exceed as well.

So a courier would have to be used.

If you dont have a business contract with a courier- the one-off parcel prices are accurate
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline NoFastMem

• Show only replies by NoFastMem
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 05:33:55 PM »

Kin-Hell wrote:
...started his post with "No Offence, but...>"

No offence, but f**k you.

(See?)
AKA that_punk_guy

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 06:22:54 PM »

da9000 wrote:

The dimensions are certainly not small, but so large? I bet an A1200 box is less than 58cm. And my understanding is that CD32 is certainly not as big as an A1200. But I never had one so what do I know?

An A1200 box is huge! Probably close to 100cm wide by 20 high by 50 long... Had one shipped from Northern Ireland (which is the UK) to myself in the Republic (which is not the UK but has a land border to N.I.) and the postage was fairly serious on that, possibly around £30. Bearing in mind that it only had to come 200 miles down the road in a truck it was quite serious. £100 doesn't seem so out-of-the-ordinary for UK shipping (which is ridiculous)...
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline sdyates

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »
Folks in the US must understand that the UK is not as reasonable as the US for many items. If you thinking shipping is expensive, try living there. Here are a few examples: 1 dozen eggs 1.85 to 2.00 pounds, loaf of break 1 to 2 pounds. Petrol (gas) about 1 pound per litre. Oh, and the pay odes not compensate for this either. Do the conversion and you will realise why shipping can be so much.
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline alenppc

• Show only replies by alenppc
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 01:03:32 AM »

sdyates wrote:
Folks in the US must understand that the UK is not as reasonable as the US for many items. If you thinking shipping is expensive, try living there. Here are a few examples: 1 dozen eggs 1.85 to 2.00 pounds, loaf of break 1 to 2 pounds. Petrol (gas) about 1 pound per litre. Oh, and the pay odes not compensate for this either. Do the conversion and you will realise why shipping can be so much.

That's what I was going to say. I bought an A600 from the UK (cause there are none available here) and I paid roughly £50 for the shipping alone. This was just an unboxed A600 with no power supply or any accessories. I don't recall how much I paid for the 600 alone, but I think it was less than the postage.
Anyway, the parcel took bloody ages to be delivered here! I had to wait more than two months! I was alredy getting upset with the seller, but at the end, when the parcel finally arrived I apologized, as it was proven that it wasn't his fault.
He did ship it at the indicated date, and the shipping was quoted correctly (as proven by the postage attached to the parcel). No one could ever explain why it took so long (especially considering it was shipped by airmail), but I was glad to get it at last.

Also, these prices might seem very high, but they are fairly normal to folks who live there as they earn much more money. I mean the minimum wage in the UK is £5.35 which is roughly CDN$12.30!! Wow!!! Over here the minimum wage is usually between $6.50 to $8. That's why the people who work in our UK office earn twice as much as we do, plus they have all sick days paid, lots more vacation time... I really DO envy them. 8-)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 01:37:43 AM »
It could be in the hundreds of dollars to ship a package from usa to uk if you wanted it there really fast.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline pedro7

• Show only replies by pedro7
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 03:00:41 AM »

sdyates wrote:

Yeah living here is expensive, but on the plus side the strong pound makes it easier to buy Amiga stuff from abroad  :-) Hmm I wonder what the import export gap is like for amiga stuff.

@alenppc
There are things not to envy too. House prices are ridiculous here. It's stupidly hard buying a first house here unless you earn mega-bucks.

Offline da9000Topic starter

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 03:57:12 AM »
@Kin-Hell:

Here in the UK, Royal Mail & Parcel Force are better known as "Royal Fail" & "Parcel Farce".  :roll:

LOL!!! :roflmao: Ingeniously constructed! I guess it's only natural with such terrible rates! If I only knew these terms to begin with! :)))))

@mikeymike:
You shouldn't take it offensively, because just like you "have to guess" at the rates, so did I. If the guy LIVES in the UK, just like all of you, then he SHOULD know that their shipping rates are ridiculous (assuming he's shipping worldwide, which he IS), and should have been ready to hear such things. I had no idea about the UK rates, so I didn't call him any names, all I said is that the price is a rip off. Which no matter what YOU guys say, it really is, because any sort of normalcy (meaning: when comparing with other "developed" nations) will tell you that such a price for shipping is ridiculous. And even if you don't accept that, then please tell me it's not ridiculous to be able to fly from NYC to London for $250 round trip (not in all seasons of course), while shipping a goddamned CD32 takes about the same price! Anyhow, what's done is done, and I didn't continue chastising the chap after that point

@Amigakit:
Interesting facts. Now that I think about it, part of the reason I thought the shipping was so ridiculous is that I have seen smaller packages (I guess now I know that means up to 2kg or 4.4lbs), which come off of the UK, that are quit reasonable in price!! So now I see why I thought this was ridiculous: I was assuming that the same normal rates of the "Post Office" (don't know the formal name for yours) would apply to larger/heavier packages. Obviously that was a bad assumption :-)

@Daedalus:
I just measured it: 23 x 17 x 7 inches or 58.42 x 43.18 x 17.78 cm. :rtfm: I was ON the mark, I said 58 and it's 58 and change. So Daedalus, your wings have melted... 100cm is a bit off. And once again, I don't have a CD32 but from photos I believe it's smaller than the A1200, and so I used this to guess about the shipping rates, before I complained to the guy. It certainly wasn't an impulse reaction.

Of course, little did I know about UK shipping rates...

@sdyates:
Folks in the US certainly to learn that and a whole lot more! (like where place are geographically, for example) :-) But at the same time, and this goes for all dealers on eBay, a good dealer will give as much info to the buyers, including warnings such as "hey, border-control might make this trip longer for X continent" (as pointed by alenppc for UK->Canada), or "hey, UK shipping is stupid, don't expect any less for outside the UK", etc

@alenppc:
Jesus! For a tiny A600?! Damn...
As for envy, I dunno, they might get higher wages, but if you can't go out coz it's rainy and gloomy, what's the point? :-p  Anyways, I'm half-joking here, because I'm in California, and because I know they also get sunny days too (I've seen some fantastic shots of UK scenery even at winter time), and I do want to visit my friends in the UK one day.

@pedro7:
It's not unlike California either... Prices here are absolutely horrendous. I can't find a house that's somewhat ok under < $500,000  It's really stupid :-(

Offline Kin-Hell

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 07:07:27 PM »

NoFastMem wrote:

Kin-Hell wrote:
...started his post with "No Offence, but...>"

No offence, but f**k you.

(See?)

Nice Reply!?

& I'm sure if the boot was on the other foot.....

There is always more than one way to see any persons idea of "what is", but I guess this can depend on how narrow one's mind is. ;-)

Offline alenppc

• Show only replies by alenppc
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 12:48:31 AM »

pedro7 wrote:

Yeah living here is expensive, but on the plus side the strong pound makes it easier to buy Amiga stuff from abroad  :-) Hmm I wonder what the import export gap is like for amiga stuff.

My point exactly... :-D

There are things not to envy too. House prices are ridiculous here. It's stupidly hard buying a first house here unless you earn mega-bucks.

Considering that I'll probably never be able to afford a house anyway (unless I buy an igloo close to the North Pole -- I suspect those might be quite cheap :lol:) I wouldn't really mind that... hehe.

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 03:49:17 AM »
Sending stuff from uk to America costs a fortune. I dunno why.

I just looked through my old pms cozI remembered sending an A.Org member a Roctec Chromakey.

He lives in Australia. I believe the Chromakey weighed about 8kg iirc.

Ok .. Chromakey has been mailed .

Cost me £39 airmail.

You should get it next week sometime.

Hi did get it and I believe he was happy with it too.

It was sent via Parcelforce.
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Kin-Hell

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 05:03:20 PM »
Further on & still RE: Shipping Rates from the UK, in particular to the USA ;-), Anyone wanting to Post FROM the UK should check these guys rates out.

Parcel2Go

I've had no personal experience with Parcel2Go other than Recieving a Sunroof for a German Sports car. Service was fast over UK mainland. However, I could not imagine it being anymore Farsicle than "Royal Fail" or "Parcel Farce" & by the looks of it, much cheaper too! :roll:

Offline da9000Topic starter

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 12:58:29 AM »
Further on and still RE:, as Kin-Hell says:

for small packages it seems that rates are much more understandable, or so I think. I actually took some time to look at Royal Fail and found this Airmail page:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=400347&catId=400036

It seems for "small packets" (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=3500027&catId=400036#1400039), it can be sent for under 20 pounds to the USA (Zone 1).

I'm assuming that an Amiga card (even full length), should comfortably fit in a packet that has a max girth of 90cm, with the longest side being 60m and under.

Could the Brits correct me if I made any false assumptions? Also if there's anything really wrong with Airmail, could you tell us? :)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 01:05:47 AM »
Depending on how fast you want it, it can be quite expensive to ship overseas. With USPS, to UK, it can easily be over a hundred dollars if you want it within about a week and the weight is over a few pounds. I usually suggest the 4-6 week method when I sell to overseas folks because it's much much cheaper. If you pay that 100 GBP shipping cost, you should expect to get it pretty fast, or else file a complaint or something.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.