Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shipping rip-off from these UK guys  (Read 4260 times)

Description:

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
Re: Shipping rip-off from these UK guys
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
And can someone explain to me WHY sending a CD32 would require a box of dimensions big enough to fit a human being inside?? He quoted: H=26cm W=45cm L=58cm

Ermm, have you seen the size of the PS3 or Xbox 360 box, I would say thats about right size wise, I know my CDTV Pro Pack box is massive (CDTV with keyboard, floppy etc), probably more like 75cm by 50 by 50.

As for the cost itself check out ParcelForces website and use the online calculator, you should get this:

International Datapost    From 2 days    Tracked    £103.35    
Global Priority    From 3 days    Tracked    £95.95    
International Standard    From 5 days    Not Tracked    £95.10    
International Economy    From 28 days    Not Tracked    £74.90

So he was right, And its not just Parcelforce, Heres UPS:

UPS Worldwide Express PlusSM  162.24 GBP*
UPS Worldwide ExpressSM       124.09 GBP*
UPS Express Saver             121.75 GBP*

I really dont think you should be so rude to the guy, how about you find a cheaper way to get it delivered (Say, use http://www.parcel2go.com/) and see if he would ship by that.

Or you could ask just the CD32 to be posted, not the box and padding, which would save postage but is probably not what you would want.
(PS: This unit will be PAL)

Offline amigakit

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 09:54:35 AM »
@da9000

We have a business account with a couple of couriers so  costs are reduced because we ship regularly Stateside.

However this seller is sending a one-off parcel so he will pay regular joe-public pricing.

We have found FedEx to be expensive- DHL is the same as Parcel2Go and they are only cost effective if you ship volume with them.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline da9000Topic starter

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 09:58:35 AM »
@Oli_hd:

The dimensions are certainly not small, but so large? I bet an A1200 box is less than 58cm. And my understanding is that CD32 is certainly not as big as an A1200. But I never had one so what do I know?

Yeah, after the other guys mentioned the insanity with British parcel, I can see those prices match... Crazy, still.

Anyways, I don't know if it's worth it with any method. There are other CD32 deals that seem more approachable. I also don't think I was 'so rude' to him because the matter of fact remains that the given shipping rate _is_ a ripoff no matter how you spin it. It's just not his fault, that's the difference. I guess it'd be nice to have that explained in the post, so people don't get shocked by the sheer stupidity of parcel shipping costing almost as much as a flight to the UK and back (sorta like the trip-to-Italy-guy before)

Yes, you're right, it'd be suicidal to have such an expensive package shipped without box/padding/etc. I'm aware of it being PAL, but thank you for making sure ;-)

@Amigakit:
Gotcha. Well, I'm glad you're selling in volume. I'll be helping to keep that going :-) Maybe you wanna buy them CD32s from these guys? :-) And drop that ez-vga price about half-way :-)

Cheers guys and thanks for the "Being a Brit" lessons :-)
Now I'll be more able to make fun of my friends over in the UK (and also avoid coming to, or rather, leaving your country by parcel post :-D)

Offline dbrads

• Show only replies by dbrads
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 10:04:43 AM »
Also, how many CDs will be included and are they in jewel cases?? could be up to 100!!! how much space/weight would that be :idea:

And, there was a thread recently about stuff arriving damaged due to poor packaging, so maybe this guy is planning to box it up with extra padding for safety... :crazy:
A2000:-
KS sharer3.1/1.3, A2630+4MB, A2091+2MB & 234MB HD.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »
@da9000

Thanks.

We have a couple of pallets of unboxed CD32 units here from Eyetech so we dont need anymore ATM.

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 10:10:07 AM »
We have a couple of pallets of unboxed CD32 units here from Eyetech so we dont need anymore ATM.

Hehe, it always puts a smile on my face when I here things like that (And the Cybergraphics card Softhut found)..
No chance of it being next to a pallet of A4000't's or the Amiga's second coming is there?  :lol:

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »
@dbrads:

2 CD boxes. I'd hope he'd pack it well!

BTW, I'm not a midget so no offense taken :-)

@Amigakit:

It's good to hear that! Why don't I see them on the site? :-(

@Oli_hd:
Does the second coming consist of an AGA invasion? :-D

Offline amigakit

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 10:19:25 AM »
Only one A4000T - but keeping that to be used for back office work.

Just need to find time to unpack/test each CD32 and make them available on the web store.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 10:23:38 AM »
Aha, coolness!

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Scrooge McDuckness!  :-P   :-)

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 10:35:40 AM »
LOL!

Matthew's nothing like Scrouge. Very nice guy indeed!

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 10:55:30 AM »

amigakit wrote:
Only one A4000T - but keeping that to be used for back office work.

Just need to find time to unpack/test each CD32 and make them available on the web store.

if they were in the near vicinity of one o' them nice SX units (1, 32 not fussy) I'd be there like a shot! err... as long as the funds were available of course!

oh - any A1200 accelerators on the horizon ?
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 02:40:42 PM »
I sold a couple of these and the shipping was between $40(US) and $70(to europe). That is quite a handling fee. haha
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »
I've sent an entire PC setup to the USA for less than that via Parcel2go ... Blatent rip-off from that guy on Ebay!

To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 03:15:36 PM »
The UK has to be one of the MOST expensive places to ship from in the world. I needed to get a parcel to New York from the UK. It was over 2kg & couldnt be sent International Signed for so it had to be Data post costing £55. (yeah, right!!)
I also got FedEx to quote me. This meant they would pick it up & have it delivered Signed for in 2 days - Cost: £85.00. (ur havin` a f'kin Larf!!)
In the end, a m8 used his Business privelges & it cost me £20.00 & was delivered signed for in 2 days. (tfft!!)

Us Brits know Postage is heavy from the UK, so for all you guys West of the Big Pond, go look at the facts & you can select ANY destination by putting a few lines of data in.

UK Postage Price Finder

Here in the UK, Royal Mail & Parcel Force are better known as "Royal Fail" & "Parcel Farce".  :roll:

Recently, the Royal Mail & Parcel Force both re-structured their Postage rates. Some services are now actually cheaper but our International Rates Still Suck! Another thing you guys West of the Pond need to understand is this!
You guys can get a parcel from the West Coast of USA to the UK in 3 days.....& yet once here in the UK, it took 4 days to travel less than 200 miles to my home. Sure, there was a weekend in-between but ffs!  :lol:
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 16, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »
All I wrote was:

"No offense, but your shipping price is a compelte RIP OFF! 100 freagging pounds for sending to the US? That's more than the "buy now" price of the box, and believe me the CD32 does NOT weight a ton!"

I'd take that offensively, but then I do business honestly (I have no idea whether this guy does), and I wouldn't take it particularly well if someone claimed that I was doing business dishonestly.

£100 for a 5kg item (let's say for argument) does seem excessive though.  Perhaps he sent it via some expensive post system?  Through normal post here (insurance comes with parcels worth up to £32 with the post office in the UK), I would guess it would cost half that, to the US, but I don't send much to the US, so I can't make any more than an approximate guess.