Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shipping rip-off from these UK guys  (Read 4226 times)

Description:

Offline da9000Topic starter

• Show only replies by da9000
Shipping rip-off from these UK guys
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290033840103

Simply ridiculous... the shipping to the US is almost twice the buy-now price of the unit !!!!!! Jesus

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: Shipping rip-off from these UK guys
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:50:02 AM »
Holy crap!  I think I spent $200 total on a MIB shipped (supposedly) from the original factory in China!

[EDIT: Come to think of it, I am almost positive that I actually paid about $150 for it.]

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:53:39 AM »
LOL!

It was only $200 because it hadn't "aged" enough. I think that's what these guys are trying to "prove" with the outrageous 100pounds (about $200) shipping charges to the US! :)

Offline dr_no

• Show only replies by dr_no
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 06:24:50 AM »
Let me tell you about the shipping ripoff.

A couple of years or so ago I have ordered AmigaOS 3.9 CD from AnythingAmiga (in Australia). They charged express post fees, so I thought ok, at least I'll get it here in a day or two (I'm in Australia too). Nothing happened for a week or two. I sent e-mail, and they told me that Vesalia is out of stock  :oops:  Hello, anybody home? WTF this guy is thinking I am?  :madashell:

Ok, I say to myself, I'll get over it - wait. After numerous e-mails and promises, I never got the goods I paid for + a very expensive postage.

Eventually I bought an original but used CD from eBay for less than half the price.

I have NOTHING nice to say about AnythingAmiga.  :pissed:
Dell Precision M20 / Pentium M @2GHz / 1GB DDR2 / 60GB @7200rpm / SXGA+ 64MB FireGL V3100 PCIe
AmiKit 1.2.9 + AmigaOS 3.9 + BB 1+2 / WinAROS

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:42:20 AM »
Wow, that sucks ballz! (you know, the red/white checkered ones!) Imagine if you were on another continent!!! How much is that "express post" fee?

I must say: I'm really getting pissed off at hearing of people selling items they DON'T have, or "mislaid" or "can't find" (Centsisoft seems to do this often according to user feedback). WTF? Don't have it, don't freagging sell it. Some people really need to have their asses kicked..

These aren't the same blokes as the ones on the eBay link, are they?

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
Sheesh.  I've seen a few of these on ebay myself.  I remember almost bidding on a Cybervision64 card for $60, when I suddently realized the shipping was (more than) $150.

It's the most common way to minimize your fees on ebay.  IIRC, ebay collects a fee based on a certain percentage of your selling amount, not including P&P.

Speaking of ebay, another thing that annoys me are the pyramid schemes out there.  Try searching for "macbook pro", and you'll only end up with lots of "This is not an auction, all bids will be deleted, click here to get your free macbook!" with an affid URL.  Does not belong on a auction site, if you ask me.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:29:36 AM »
@skurk:

Heh, you're right about the fees, and I can partially understand it, but the problem is when it goes overboard: for example, the CD32 at $300 is a rip-off, because if you see the prices it sells at, they are about half that and below! (I've even seen some for high $80s in the past!) So if the dorks said, look, most of these CD32s sell for around $150, so that's more or less what I'll get. Then make the shipping around $100 and let the rest be bidded or buy-now at $50. But $200 shipping + $100 buy-now. Hell no.

This is much more reasonable for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Amiga-CD32-Console-System-Mint-NIB_W0QQitemZ320071652826QQihZ011QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem

As for the pyramid schemes, I had no idea! I guess because I already got a Macbook :) Good luck in finding a nice one for yourself! Hint: Apple employees get 15% discount ;-) Start searching your network of friends (ahemmm) :-D

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »
Woa, get a load of this:

"Postage via Parcel Force global priority for 6KG, dimensions: H=26cm W=45cm L=58cm is £95.95. That leaves £4.05 which coveres the packaging. I do not appreciate abusive messages sent to via ebay
Thank You"

There was nothing abusive in my email to this freak, unless the word "freagging" is considered abuse these days... All I wrote was:

"No offense, but your shipping price is a compelte RIP OFF! 100 freagging pounds for sending to the US? That's more than the "buy now" price of the box, and believe me the CD32 does NOT weight a ton!"

And can someone explain to me WHY sending a CD32 would require a box of dimensions big enough to fit a human being inside?? He quoted: H=26cm W=45cm L=58cm

Also, can someone just weigh a freagging CD32? There's no way in hell it's 6kg in weight, is there? If it's built like an A2000 it might be :) But I think it's more like an A500. Actually, let's weight my A500: 3.5-4kg and this is on a body-scale (and missing a couple trap-doors and stuff... :-D )

Offline dbrads

• Show only replies by dbrads
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:52:07 AM »
Hey guys,

Try shipping anything from the UK, it is expensive, why do you think we call it "ripoff Britain".
Dont flame the seller, it is probably not his fault!!  It is more to do with the size and weight of the item not the value. :-)
A2000:-
KS sharer3.1/1.3, A2630+4MB, A2091+2MB & 234MB HD.

Offline dbrads

• Show only replies by dbrads
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:03:14 AM »

And can someone explain to me WHY sending a CD32 would require a box of dimensions big enough to fit a human being inside?? He quoted: H=26cm W=45cm L=58cm

Small human? must be a kid. Do you have centimeters on your tape measures in the US, maybe you were looking at inches
 :lol:
A2000:-
KS sharer3.1/1.3, A2630+4MB, A2091+2MB & 234MB HD.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »
@dbrads:

Hahahaha, ok ok, you had to make me say it: I'M A MIDGET! OK??????? Why do the big people always assume we're all the same size? HUH????? Are you satisfied now?

As for the costs, sure England is a rip-off (why does the pound get to be twice the value of a euro or $??), but seriouls mate, I've seen other people ship stuff from the UK and it's certainly not this high. You CANNOT possibly expect me to believe that a CD32 shipped from the UK to the US costs 200, yes that's two HUNDRED, freagging dollars (95 pounds the guy said). And to look at it another way: why are plane rides from the UK to the US the cheapest of all the countries of europe? Shouldn't parcel post be similar? Most parcels also fly across the ocean, no?

Cheers

PS. I don't think I flamed the guy. Not yet anyhow.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »
The price looks right if you dont have a Parcelforce Business Account (if you are sending a one off parcel) - verify here: http://www.parcelforce.com/ (click on 'price a delivery').  Prices are based on volumetric weight.

However, there is an International Economy service (not trackable/uninsured) that is less cost again.

However the service the seller is using is a priorty insured service.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
"why do you think we call it "ripoff Britain"

The CD32 and especially the brick power supply is quite heavy. However to get some idea of costs from here, last year I sent a CD32 to Italy, another European country so you might think postage would be reasonable? Well not exactly, postage for the CD32 and 4 jewel cased games came to over £40! I remember the lady at the post office joking that I could probably buy a cheap flight there myself for same money, she was probably right too!

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 09:42:43 AM »
@Amigakit:

That's scary if it's indeed so... Maybe it's because of the priority insured service and all the rest. But still, I remember you told me that the shipping cost wouldn't be so much from the UK, so I could order stuff online from your shop.

Will FexEx, DHL, etc have better rates or the same, you think? Which service do you use?

PS. Good idea to add the new products link in your sig! Got my attention quickly :)

@Akiko:
Man, from what you Brits are saying, that lady most likely was right! It's still rather hard to believe... I've seen other products shipped and it wasn't this ridiculous. Maybe they were using some other courier service or not global priority or whatnot...

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »

Ermm, have you seen the size of the PS3 or Xbox 360 box, I would say thats about right size wise, I know my CDTV Pro Pack box is massive (CDTV with keyboard, floppy etc), probably more like 75cm by 50 by 50.

As for the cost itself check out ParcelForces website and use the online calculator, you should get this:

International Datapost    From 2 days    Tracked    £103.35    
Global Priority    From 3 days    Tracked    £95.95    
International Standard    From 5 days    Not Tracked    £95.10    
International Economy    From 28 days    Not Tracked    £74.90

So he was right, And its not just Parcelforce, Heres UPS:

UPS Worldwide Express PlusSM  162.24 GBP*
UPS Worldwide ExpressSM       124.09 GBP*
UPS Express Saver             121.75 GBP*

I really dont think you should be so rude to the guy, how about you find a cheaper way to get it delivered (Say, use http://www.parcel2go.com/) and see if he would ship by that.

Or you could ask just the CD32 to be posted, not the box and padding, which would save postage but is probably not what you would want.
(PS: This unit will be PAL)