Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 29227 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;766365
Trevor & Matthew cannot control what gets posted to any forum threads by you, the members of Amiga.org, or how much fighting occurs, but they can provide direction for the moderators on how they want members who violate the Terms of Service for posting to these forums handled in the future.

Surely the owners of the site could even sack the moderators and do whatever they wanted. I'm not saying they would, but you're saying they cannot.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
Quote from: Duce;766558
It's a company asset, no different in how I can write my internet, hosting expenses off on the company I operate.

Your internet bill or hosting expenses is not an asset, it's a normal business expense so it can be offset against your tax bill.

Anything with a resale value however is an asset and they fall under different rules (at least in the uk). You can only offset the difference between what you paid and what the item is now worth & you do that over multiple years. If the item increases in value then next year you'll have to pay tax on the increase.

Quote from: Duce;766558
I can write down such expenses at tax time and basically come out even on them.

What do you mean come out even? You've still had to pay the money, you just won't be taxed on it (as you don't have the money anymore). With an asset it's different as you still have it, so you're taxed as if you still have the money that you earned. A lot of companies lease instead of buying assets because it can have tax advantages http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/blmmanual/blm00705.htm
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:36:46 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
Quote from: Duce;766622
As I said, your tax laws may vary. Mine allow me to write off operating expenses on assets and materials.

Yes you can write off operating expenses, but only on the business expenses like the hosting & not the purchasing. And you still have to pay them, you just don't have to pay the 20% corporation tax on the money that you earned to pay the bills. If you're VAT registered then you can claim the 20% VAT back on the hosting, so you save a bit there.

If you work from home and your company pays for your internet bill then you can save the income tax on that too.