Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 29101 times)

Description:

Online amigakitTopic starter

A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
A-EON Techology Ltd is pleased to announce that is the new custodian of Amiga.org, the world's oldest and longest running English language Amiga community web forum.

A-EON acquired from the previous custodian, Bill Panagouleas of DiscreetFX, in an agreement which saw the transfer of the website and contents, the domain name together with all of the brands and rights including the official Facebook and Twitter accounts.

A-EON would like to thank Bill for his stewardship of Amiga.org over the past few years. Matthew Leaman, A-EON Managing Director, said of the purchase, "our acquistion of is part of our long term strategy to help support and expand the Amiga community. We are really excited by this development".

Outgoing custodian Bill Panagouleas added, "I enjoyed my experience and am pleased to place the stewardship in the excellent hands of true Amiga enthusiasts. Amiga.org is safe and secure with A-EON Technology Limited."

Trevor Dickinson, A-EON’s co-founder also commented, "speaking as an Amiga enthusiast, I am extremely proud to be associated with this great piece of Amiga history.  Amiga.org is oldest Amiga web portal, serving the Amiga community since 1994. This year marks the 20th anniversary of its founding and with the help of the Amiga community, whether it be Classic, Next-Generation, Emulation or new Retro hardware we hope to make an essential resource for all Amiga related news and information. Here’s to the next 20 years!"

Full Press Release: http://a-eon.biz/PDF/News_Release_Amiga.org.pdf
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:16:23 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
@nicholas

Please refer to the Press Release:

our acquistion of is part of our long term strategy to help support and expand the Amiga community

Amiga.org is regarded as having the potential to be developed as the premier hub of Amiga support knowledge and community discussion.  It could be a wonderful resource to all Amiga users whatever "flavour" they prefer.  I have already stated this in the other thread, so I am not sure if you read my comments.

@Trev

Welcome back: its good to see you here.

I hope we can encourage many other members to return to Amiga.org.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:53:16 AM »
@Rudei

Welcome back :) Good to see people returning again to Amiga.org!

@Persia
Presumably the "amiga community" are users of the classic Amiga systems, plus the next gen Amiga replacements like aOS 4.x, Morphos, AROS, plus the emulators (both soft like UAE and hard like fpga arcade)

Yes that is how I view it too.  However you enjoy "Amiga", its your choice and your hobby.  Personally speaking, I have fun using my Amiga A1200T and also AmigaOS 4.1 machines.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:58:33 AM by amigakit »

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »
@haywirepc

We want a great forum where you can tell everyone how much you enjoy using your AROS / MorphOS / AmigaOS / Classic system.

However, we do not want a forum where you make comments off-topic designed to simply insight a reaction from other users who have made different choices to you.  Your comments in post # 47 were not constructive and off-topic.   The moderators have a job to do here to raise the standards of this forum, lets make their task easier and have quality discussions regarding all "Amiga" flavours and not firing off comments simply to denigrate other user's choices of OS or hardware.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:27:53 PM by amigakit »

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
@Gizmo350
IMHO, I would really like to see a whole new landing page with small sections of cool new products, pics, Trevor's blog sampling, new news blurbs, Amiga peeps in action, that sort of thing!

Yes this maybe a good idea, something definately to consider.  We would have to ask the Amiga.org regulars what they would prefer in terms of layout.

I myself would prefer tutorials contributed on how to install Classic hardware or software, reviews and support pages. We need to open a thread to canvas ideas.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:46:50 PM by amigakit »

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
A-EON Technology is a Limited Company with lots of costs so far and products still in production but these are not yet available and not yet generating revenue. So yes any donations towards Amiga.org running costs are gratefully received.  However in return A-EON will invest in the website and work to make Amiga.org the premier Amiga community site.

@itix
Something is missing. A site for Amiga users who favor AmigaOS 3 with RTG.
My A1200 has a Radeon 9250 and 3.9.  I find here the best forum to talk about RTG and similar upgrades.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
@itix

And of course, I enjoy my hobby :)

@olafs3

amiga.org is a longstanding part of the Amiga community so ultimately it's the users that decide.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:55:37 AM by amigakit »

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
Seriously guys, we are open to suggestions on the forums structure. We want to encourage a wide range of "Amiga" interests.  Personally I would like to have a developer forum with users sharing coding tips and helping each other with problems. I don't see that much on here.  The German forum A1K.org is a good template for the forums on this site.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:50 AM »
Yes of course.  We are reviewing this right now, so any suggestions users have please feed them back to us during this review.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
@Olafs3

Everybody has the right to their opinion and preference.  So tolerance to other posters views is very important IMHO.

On the other side of the argument, there should be no critical or abusive discussion of another persons choices of "Amiga" variant that they prefer as that is their choice.  99% of users here just want to enjoy discussing all things Amiga. Let's make this the premier Amiga forum for those users.

Feel free to PMail me with specific suggestions and any problems you encounter in future.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »
@AmigaJoker

Welcome to Amiga.org.  I hope you have fun here.

Thank you for joining the site.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
@Duce

I would like to upgrade the Amiga.org web hosting in the nearer future, probably bringing it in house.  I have been really busy recently with development of AMIStore and setting up the associated servers, so once AMIStore is out and finished I will turn my attention to Amiga.org.  I just don't have many hours left in the day at the moment :)

@Olafs3 @duce

There is a place for general discussion and Amiga.org has had a lot of off-topic subjects over the last few years, but it will be nice to encourage more in-depth Amiga specific topics- maybe with tutorials and series of articles around themes of topics throughout the year.

I view Amiga.org as the potential for becoming a modern digital magazine for the Amiga community.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
We try to be as transparent as possible as long as there is no commercial disadvantage.  A few years ago we discussed the concept of Trevor's Blog and since it's inception he has used it to keep everyone informed of our ongoing projects as well as his own personal activities.  I am sure now Amiga.org will feature in it far more prominently going forward.

As far as tax is concerned, Amiga.org is regarded as a Company Asset and the purchase cost is not written off against tax unfortunately.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
@Olafs3

Yes it is a Limited Company, so running costs can be put against tax but the purchase costs are an asset, so different tax rules apply to them.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »
@Olafs3

We are in the process of talking to all the moderators.

My personal opinion is that on the rare occasion that a moderator has to step in and edit a post, they should reference the section of the Amiga.org Rules to clearly explain publically what part of the post has broken the rules.

Most people want to have fun discussing the computer platform that they have enjoyment from without having to get into conflicts with other users.

We all know that this has not been the case at Amiga.org recently and there are a *very* *small* minority of users who want to push their ideas, promote their "Amiga" platform by making statements not backed up by fact and also they will re-iterate inflamatory statements which are likely to get a reaction from other users, essentially to create friction on the thread (stir up trouble).  A moderator will then need to step in an diffuse the situation and point the thread back on track.  In extreme cases, maybe even close the thread or take other formal actions.

So I see it as consistent but fair moderation.

BTW: in future, if a moderator needs to apply the rules to one of my posts, I will welcome that and apologise for my infringement of the rules.  We are all human and can make mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:54:58 AM by amigakit »