Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally Ordered FastATA 1200 MK-IV IDE  (Read 3828 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Finally Ordered FastATA 1200 MK-IV IDE
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 20, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »
Quote from: gizmo350;748462
Nope, dont' install software 1st. I just checked and you have to hold down JUST the left mouse button at startup. It brings up the Elbox menu.

Holding down BOTH mouse buttons probably will show NO HDD 'cause you're going thru a new controller - you MUST get the PIO mode set - probably 3.

One time I set my PIO mode too high and could no longer boot from HDD so I just kept holding the left mouse button at startup and after about 15 times I got to the Elbox menu. If all is good with the install, be persistent with the left mouse button! :)

OK, I tried JUST the left mouse button.

Brings me to the screen asking for my WB3.1 disk.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Retrofan

• Show only replies by Retrofan
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
I've been working with a Fast ATA MKII for about two years. It was liking to give me from time to time messages the kind of "Read attempt outside partition" or Wrong dirblock ID", when not just showing me the insert disk screen (this last is just when your connection with the kickstarts isn't good). What I've done, but only from two days ago, so I can't tell for sure it's a good solution is to disable the s-s call for the Fast Ata. Instead I've made an script that I've put with the same commands on the WBStartup. So, the Amiga boots without Fast Ata (when booting was when it was liking to give me the problematic messages), and when charging the WBStartup it starts the Fast Ata prefs. I believe to remember someone -or just the instructions- saying their commands should be at the beginning of the s-s, but all I can tell is that it works from the WBStartup, as I can see it working with SysInfo.

But there is another problem; at least with my MKII drivers. They will show the Fast ATA prefs as "Split", no matter that you use and save them as "Non Split".

I bought an MKIV this week -that's why I'm also interesed on this thread-. I want to try the new drivers and hardware.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:28:55 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;748463

Hmmm, then something's not right. :(  I guess recheck everything. Mine worked first time when holding down the left mouse button after install.
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Retrofan

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;748463

Simple: Bad connection with your kickstart sockets. I'm also using an Indi and using angled cutted risers. Press them more to make better contact.

Edit: You don't need to press the left mice button for anything; it will start working if the connections are ok. Later you can install the drivers and set the PIO mode and so. In fact with my MKII drivers the left button while booting does nothing (but dunno with the latest).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:35:57 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 12:22:35 AM »
Quote from: Retrofan;748468
Simple: Bad connection with your kickstart sockets. I'm also using an Indi and using angled cutted risers. Press them more to make better contact.

Edit: You don't need to press the left mice button for anything; it will start working if the connections are ok. Later you can install the drivers and set the PIO mode and so. In fact with my MKII drivers the left button while booting does nothing (but dunno with the latest).

If I push any harder I'm going to break something.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:50 AM »
Quote from: xdelusion;748470
if i push any harder i'm going to break something.

twss.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Retrofan

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;748470
If I push any harder I'm going to break something.

First be sure your risers have the pin lenght all the same. If not, put a sand paper on your table and file the pins over it. Then put a table under your miggy (under the kickstarts) and use another piece of wood to press the fast ata over the kickstarts.

Offline Retrofan

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
Well. Now I've changed the kickstart sockets to round pin ones.  I have to say that it wasn't letting close the keyboard, so I've filed the lowest kickstart chip side, so now it fits.

But it doesn't boot with ACATune. I can not boot with my ACA1230/56 and my new Fast ATA MKIV having under the ACATune commands the usual
; $VER: Startup-Sequence_AmiKit OS3.9 BB2
; Startup-Sequence for AmigaOS 3.9 + AmiKit (by Jan Zahurancik ©2005-2008)
; Modified to work with real Amiga by Retrofan
;===ACATune=== . Install first ACATune 1.7 version on C using MorpheuZ.
C:ACATune -maprom * >NIL: ;For ACA1230/56.
;C:ACATune -maprom * >NIL: ;For ACA1231/42.
;===ACATune End=== . After uncommenting any, edit the User-Startup at the end too.
C:ATA3.driver QUIET
C:stack 8192
It doesn't boot. An now look the same s-s adding BB4: it boots with the Fast Ata. Incredibly it was even booting with the fast ata (well, the dvd doesn't show) using an script to launch it so late as from the WBStartup with the fastata commands there instead of here -I was using that, trying-.

Code: [Select]
; $VER: Startup-Sequence_AmiKit OS3.9 BB2
; Startup-Sequence for AmigaOS 3.9 + AmiKit (by Jan Zahurancik ©2005-2008)
; Modified to work with real Amiga by Retrofan
;===ACATune=== . Install first ACATune 1.7 version on C using MorpheuZ.
C:ACATune -maprom * >NIL: ;For ACA1230/56.
;C:ACATune -maprom * >NIL: ;For ACA1231/42.  
;===ACATune End=== . After uncommenting any, edit the User-Startup at the end too.

C:Safe RENRAM OWNOUT MOUNTSIZE=6684     ;Checks for viruses

C:morelibspace

;BB4
Version >NIL: exec.library 45 REVISION 20
IF WARN
;FailAt 21
SYS:C/LoadResident >NIL: DEVS:card.resource DEVS:trackdisk.device L:KingCON-Handler
;FailAt 20
EndIf
SYS:C/LoadModule >NIL: L:RAM-Handler DEVS:battmem.resource DEVS:FileSystem.resource DEVS:misc.resource DEVS:potgo.resource DEVS:scsi.device L:FastFileSystem L:Shell-Seg LIBS:dos.library REVERSE NOREBOOT
SYS:C/SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES console.device,ram-handler,FileSystem.resource,filesystem,scsi.device,shell QUIET
;End BB4 MOD

C:ATA3.driver QUIET
C:stack 8192

What command of BB4 do you think changes the booting to let it start the Fast Ata? Has any the Fast ATA MKIV working with ACATune?

Edit: @XDeluxion try the miggy without the Fast Ata. I guess you will have the same problems, not booting and that you've got to change the kickstarts. Static electricity must have fried them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:33:32 PM by Retrofan »