Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 hangs when transferring via PCMCIA-ethernet  (Read 662 times)

Description:

Offline lauri_tTopic starter

• Show only replies by lauri_t
A1200 hangs when transferring via PCMCIA-ethernet
« on: September 08, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »
I have this problem with my A1200 system (020@28mhz 6MB RAM) totally freezing when downloading something from the net. It doesn't matter if I download a package with wget or browse the web with any browser, still the system completely freezes after a couple of minutes. I can still transfer small packages with wget, but it is annoying to reboot the system after each file.

I have a 3com Megahertz 3CXE589DT card and Miami. According to the 589-driver docs the card without the T at the end is supported. I have had this problem for quite a while but haven't bothered to write here for some reason. I recall that during the first weeks I used the card it worked fine and I could browse the net and transfer files with no freezing.
I have both cardpatch and cardreset in Startup-sequence but they seem to do nothing. Hangs still without them too.
I've tried to search the forums but it seems that nobody has the same problem.
I have Kick 3.0 and use ClassicWB Lite. I've thought about reformatting and installing from scratch but I decided to try here first. I really hope somebody could help me with this problem.

Offline fx

• Show only replies by fx
    • UHC Tools
Re: A1200 hangs when transferring via PCMCIA-ethernet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:51:53 PM »
Does the machine unfreeze if you remove the card?
Slightly bored and severly confused..

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 08:09:55 PM »
What RAM or accelerator board do you use? They might interfere.

Offline lauri_tTopic starter

• Show only replies by lauri_t
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:33:44 PM »
Unplugging the card did not unfreeze the system. :(

My board is Apollo 1220. But it has only 4MB so it shouldn't interfere with the PCMCIA slot?

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:26:20 AM »
hmm, Not sure!
It sounds like a driver issue or it wouldn't work at all.
there should be no difference in browsing data as opposed to data being sent over a network. Does the card function ok downloading larger files via a network? eg sound files or movies? what about large graphics intensive web sites or streaming content. does it lock up then?
To me it smells like Voyager. Are yoou using that browser? I get lockups too using that thing and only after d/l mind u Ibrowse V1 and 2 did the same.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 12:46:10 AM »
hmm, Not sure!
It sounds like a driver issue or it wouldn't work at all.
there should be no difference in browsing data as opposed to data being sent over a network. Does the card function ok downloading larger files via a network? eg sound files or movies? what about large graphics intensive web sites or streaming content. does it lock up then?
To me it smells like Voyager. Are yoou using that browser? I get lockups too using that thing and only after d/l mind u Ibrowse V1 and 2 did the same. Mind you they fixed that issue with an update.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.