Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where can I get one of the $299 cheap Pegasos boards in the UK?  (Read 2208 times)

Description:

Offline gary_c

• Show all replies
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
All that were sold were preorders so they would know how many to make and they went to the truely gullible and to developers.

There were no preorders. Genesi did not take any mony in advance for Pegasos I motherboards. Individual resellers may have, but that would be between them and their customers; actually, I haven't heard of this happening either, though. "The truely gullible"? Well, it's a PowerPC motherboard. The buyers are the same people, in many cases, buying AmigaOnes, so call them what you like. AFAIK the production numbers for the Pegasos I board were determined by technical factors on the supply side, not market ones. In any case, the number of buyers was not the determining factor. If it was, they'd still be selling, because there is still demand. You are correct that the initial market was/is developers.
i suppose i'm about to be the target of a character assasination now too, watch.

Nice illustration of why people would  want to flame you. I assume mdma will be in better control than this. :-)
He promised me a G4 Pegasos and tried to sell me a G3 alpha board.

Surely you realize this is the early stages of product development. The boards offered have been, all along, for developers and early adoptors. (Similarly, reading the AmigaOne list at Yahoo groups reveals the same pattern of glitches and solutions for that board.) Whether you want to call it an alpha or beta or whatever is up to you. This early in the product development cycle, specs change. Early adopters are expected to be ready for that. I can only say there are hundreds of apparently satisfied new owners of Pegasos I boards now. (I say "apparently" because I've only heard directly from several dozen so far.) Sorry your personal experience was so disappointing, but, looking at the overall situation, you seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

-- gary_c