Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 600 vs 1200  (Read 2871 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: 600 vs 1200
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 23, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »
Edited my last post just now without logging out. I can now NOT modify even the last post after that "modify".   :o

I suggest a re-partition, re-format and re-installation of your OS.   ;D

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 09:05:32 PM »
Good thinking Paul!!!!!!   :) ;) :D ;D 8)

A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline spudmiga

• A chip off the old block
    • Show only replies by spudmiga
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »
I will always have a soft spot for the 600 as it was the first Amiga model I owned, and if bread and butter floppy gaming is your thing then you can't go wrong.. it is widely compatible with most well-known Amiga games and programs from the height of its commercial success.
Workbench 2 and 1Mb RAM as standard are all nice improvements over the A500 it replaced as well as a slightly better graphics chipset and improved Paula chip.

The Amiga 1200 is a much nicer all around home computer though, I love it. It's just an absolute joy and pleasure to use. The 2 megabytes chip RAM as standard really help things like running productivity applications such as paint and image manipulation packages, word processors, etc. There are a wealth of nice expansions you can get for it too, and so many more things you can do with it. The AGA graphics gives you access to higher resolutions, interlace modes, HighGFX which makes Workbench even nicer to use. The drawback is games compatibility, many games that were designed with the A500 that may have worked on the 600 suddenly don't run on the A1200. There are ways around it, software like ReloKick can help, disabling CPU caches on user startup, changing the graphics mode to original chipset in early startup, and WHDLoad. On the upside there are some nice A1200-specific titles that appeared from 1992 onwards with much prettier graphics than the older games. Workbench 3 has some nice improvements over version 2 you get with the A600, though you can upgrade it.

A600 Pros:
Small form factor design may be beneficial for people where desk space is at a premium.
The lack of expandability may not be such a big issue with new accelerators and the Vampire on the market.
More compatible with earlier games.
Upgrading to OS 3 is relatively straightforward.
Cheaper to buy.

A600 Cons:
No numeric keypad can mean limitations with certain games and applications.
Only 1Mb of chip RAM as standard - certain productivity applications will struggle.
Later games designed for the AGA chipset will not run.

A1200 Pros:
A numeric keypad removes any of the issues with applications you may experience with an A600.
OS 3 has some nice improvements over OS 2.
AGA chipset has some nice display modes which make using Workbench a nicer experience and 2 Mb chip RAM helps a bundle with productivity applications.
Access to enhanced games designed specifically to take advantage of the AGA chipset and extra memory.
Extremely wide expansion possibilities.

A1200 Cons:
Some earlier games for the A500/600 may not work without third party utilities, changing the startup or WHDLoad.
People limited on desk space may find the A600 a better solution.
A nice example is getting expensive to buy with some machines selling for more than they were new.

I hope this helps.
Spud  8)
Founder of NWAG - North West Amiga Group (UK)

Night Operations

A1200, ACA 1233/50Mhz, 130Mb + 4Gb CF + OS 3.2
A500 Plus, 2Mb, OS 2.05

The following users thanked this post: Jamesplease