Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: USB not working on AmigaOneXE/G4 4.1U6  (Read 1689 times)

Description:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: USB not working on AmigaOneXE/G4 4.1U6
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 14, 2013, 03:27:32 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;754306
unfortunately, yeah. there were actually three main "issues" with the XE boards, the USB problem being one of them.
-- eliyahu

Dont use the quotes for "issues" This is well known and well documented in the developer world about the TERON boards (aka Amiga 1) its the lovely Articia S that all the fanboys defended so much.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline cehoferTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;754338
Dont use the quotes for "issues" This is well known and well documented in the developer world about the TERON boards (aka Amiga 1) its the lovely Articia S that all the fanboys defended so much.

That's nice of you to point out but do you have a link to theses "well known and well documented" I guess features since they are documented?

Offline number6

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
Quote from: cehofer;754353
That's nice of you to point out but do you have a link to theses "well known and well documented" I guess features since they are documented?

First, you've been given some good advice by eliyahu and should hopefully receive more on the support site.

Given that, however, you can read:

this thread for example

Given the choice ( I assume you inherited a machine from someone else? ), you are better off with an "unfixed" AmigaOneXE G4 and making the changes previously suggested.

Best of luck.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Quote from: cehofer;754353

I thought everyone knew that Articia was broken by design. However, your USB problem have nothing to do with Articia S so your problem must be software related.

Btw I have heard that you must solder some caps or something to get USB devices recognized properly on XE. Worth a shot, I think.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
I think it was the SE boards that had the more serious USB problems. Tony's thread, linked above, explains things very well, although when the issue was first discovered/solved, I remember reading that they had capacitors in place instead of resistors, or vice versa, on the USB lines. Can't quite recall. At any rate, the USB problem on the XE is theoretically fixable, whereas the SE's is probably not.

The impact of the XE USB fault is that devices are not hot pluggable. The workaround - before PCI USB drivers were available - was to use a hub. The hub would remain "permanently" attached to the motherboard, and then you could hot plug into that. I'm using one of these and it works well. If USB2 speed isn't important to you, this solution saves you a PCI slot (not that there are a whole lot of interesting cards you can use...).

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
Number 6

You guys always give good advise but there are also the very critical people here as well.  I thank you all for your good advise.  As far as what I am going to do  is i already ordered the boards recommended here for IDE/Sata/usb.

I didn't inherited this this AmigaOneXE/G4, I actually bought a collection of Amigas from a collector that passed away.  I had 18 Amigas of various models.  Since the collector had passed, the son was selling his collection.  He told me that he didn't know what this was and it wouldn't boot but he was throughing it in to get rid of it.  When I opened it up at home I was like I hit the motherload.  The reason it wouldn't boot was because of the CPU mounted at an angle.  So I reseated that and I was up and running on 4.0.  I then purchased 4.1.  This was summer of 2009.  4.1 was limited at that time so it collected dust for the past 4 years.

I was on youtube and saw how 4.1 was now at Upgrade 6 with autoupdates.  I watched the 4.1 video and was impressed how they have come along.  I am very excited that I finally have an Amiga that is an alternative to Linux and Windoze...again.  It is also nice that they and encompassed UAE into the OS so I can use and Amiga to run my Classic stuff instead of on Linux,droid, and Windoze.  that is a novel concept.

I have been a faithful amiga user since 1988 with my 2000HD then 4000.  Through all those years I have never seen any of the companies that housed Amiga ever listen to the community.  They always did what they thought was best and where has it gotten them.  There should be a partnership formed between the Cult Following and the companies that own rights and licenses.

I like this concept of the "bounty".   With the following Amiga still has if there were some way to create a membership with dues and those dues went toward R and D. Then you had a membership to Hyperion's website and I got to download updates, new OS and applications for my dues paid, I would do it.  Somebody has to pay for it.

My hat is off to Hyperion as they are the only ones that I see moving forward Amiga forward.  

Sorry I am a little off topic.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
Update:

I have fixed the following issues:

Mouse - dead on boot or suddenly dies.
USB - not working

The mouse issue got suddenly worse.  Then my keyboard started acting like it was possessed by gremlins.  Lights would flash and then freeze.  It seemed that when I reconnected it a couple times followed by a reboot.  I removed the mother board and performed continuity checks with my ohm meter.  I didn't find anything then I remembered I had a similar issue with my A4000D and checked the ferrite beads soldered to the board.  On my 4000 one was cracked in half.  I took a small screwdriver and gently flicked each bead.  The bead on top next to the edge of the board popped right off.  I soldered it back in place and touched up rest on top and bottom of the board.  So far no more issues with keyboard or mouse.

USB - I did as suggested.  I purchased and installed Startech 7port and plugged in the front ports to the board.  I also purchased a UltraATA 133 PCI SC-PE4B12-S4 IDE CONTROLLER.  

The USB was just plug and play.  The UltraATA required making the parallel SIIG as the first in the boot sequence.  I also disabled both onboard USB and IDE in UBoot.

A friend of mine gave me a 250M USB Zip drive.  I got that working in a snap.  I just had to change the device on the "zip" device driver in storage/dosdriver from the siiide.device to usbsys.device and unit to zero.  I got it to read my old amiga 100 zips and PC100 zips using the ZIC device driver making the same changes to it.