Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga NG underpowered?  (Read 1450 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Is Amiga NG underpowered?
« Reply #104 from previous page: May 14, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »
Quote from: agami;789260
I'd have to run into it pretty hard :p
Just kidding. I've found that despite their opinions on certain matters most people are good drinking company. That said, any of you see me in Mountain View for Amiga 30, I'll buy you a drink.

Wow, did I totally type that wrong or what?  :lol:

Cheers!  :pint:  :pint:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »
Quote from: whabang;789214
PPC is dead from a consumer perspective. While there's nothing stopping it from being a hobbyist platform, it's expensive as hell and there's not a lot of hardware to choose from.

PPC Macs are cheap and powerful :)

X86 is well-supported and cheap, though there's a zillion different hardware configs. Getting it to run on everyone's PC's can be tricky because of this.

ARM is cheap as hell, and there's plenty of real cheap hardware available (the omnipresent Pi and boards like it). The hardware is a bit more uniform, but performance is lower than X86. Still, it's cheap as hell.

From those two x86 (x64) is more powerful. So if performance is your goal you choose x86 platform. If you want to go mobile then ARM. Or both. Dump idea of having native code and compile everything to 68k target and have 68k emulator built-in.

I'd prefer a Pi port, but that's subjective.

Actually RPi is one of the worst ARM offerings. There are cheaper and faster ARM based boards available but they are less famous and people always think there is only RPi...
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »
Quote from: whabang;789214
PPC is dead from a consumer perspective. While there's nothing stopping it from being a hobbyist platform, it's expensive as hell and there's not a lot of hardware to choose from.

X86 is well-supported and cheap, though there's a zillion different hardware configs. Getting it to run on everyone's PC's can be tricky because of this.

ARM is cheap as hell, and there's plenty of real cheap hardware available (the omnipresent Pi and boards like it). The hardware is a bit more uniform, but performance is lower than X86. Still, it's cheap as hell.

I'd prefer a Pi port, but that's subjective.
curious  ..are  020/030/040  or  060   chips  used  for anything  these days ?? apart  from our aging amiga
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;789272
curious  ..are  020/030/040  or  060   chips  used  for anything  these days ?? apart  from our aging amiga

I know the 040 was used in the JAS 39 Gripen Swedish fighter jet. I don't know if they have upgraded it to something else recently though, but it wouldn't surprice me if they didn't. Military usually buys a LOT of spare parts.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »
Quote from: itix;78926

Actually RPi is one of the worst ARM offerings. There are cheaper and faster ARM based boards available but they are less famous and people always think there is only RPi...

Glad I didn't have to point that out myself.
I frequently get faulted (fairly enough) for my negativity.

Personally, I'm not interested in downgrading my hardware that far.
However, MorphOS is a better target for that platform than Linux.

So it is really a matter of where your prorities lay, with the hardware or the software.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;789272

Not really, '030s can still be obtained, but finding good '040s or '060s can be difficult.
When it comes to 68K family processors, its eaisier to implement an fpga.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2015, 11:25:55 AM »
Quote from: itix;789263
PPC Macs are cheap and powerful :)

From those two x86 (x64) is more powerful. So if performance is your goal you choose x86 platform. If you want to go mobile then ARM. Or both. Dump idea of having native code and compile everything to 68k target and have 68k emulator built-in.

PPC Macs are definitely available, but they're not being produced anymore. If we'd base everything on them then we'd actually be planning to use a dying platform (which is irellevant, because we're discussing Amiga, but anyway).

I'd prefer the Pi because of it's popularity and not because it's performance. AmigaOS is designed with even weaker hardware in mind so I doubt it would pose a problem.

Mind you, I wouldn't have anything against support for multiple ARM platforms. It would still be easier than trying to support x86.

As for using emulation to achieve everything, well, we can allways make an OS using an emulator running on Linux, or use some kind of universal binary that will run under any OS that has a VM for it... ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:28:53 AM by whabang »
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
Underpowered is a pretty broad term.  I've never had a single gripe about the performance of my SAM 440, but then again, I never bought the thing with any intentions of trying to encode video or do rendering or something on it.

It does everything I ask of it, which admittedly are "Amiga only" type things.  I don't expect it to stream video in 4k like the dual 980 GTX, 6 core, 64 GB RAM PC I'm typing this on, so I've never had much to complain about with it.

It's a niche/hobby system, one that was fairly pricey, I'll admit, but it's been a good experience for me, just like my MOS machines have been.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Is Amiga NG underpowered?

It really depends on what you want to do.

My Amiga NG system is not a racehorse, but it works well and runs my favourite programs.  I have a choice of six web browsers, some 68K programs and some PPC programs. I use Final Writer 97, TVPaint, and PPaint. I use E-UAE to provide a compatible base for AmigaOS 3.1 for some very old games and programs that like to see the Amiga Classic hardware.

However, I find that I am using my Samsung tablet more often for web browsing, only because it is convenient.  I don't have to get up off the sofa to go to my workstation. ;)

---
redfox

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;789274

Personally, I'm not interested in downgrading my hardware that far.
However, MorphOS is a better target for that platform than Linux.

By the time anything ARM based is as polished as MorphOS is now on PPC, you'll be able to by a 6th generation rPI several rimes faster than a QuadG5 or even one of the (current) Power8 systems.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline biggun

• Show only replies by biggun
    • http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;789500
By the time anything ARM based is as polished as MorphOS is now on PPC, you'll be able to by a 6th generation rPI several rimes faster than a QuadG5 or even one of the (current) Power8 systems.

you mean by the time OS is ported to ARM, most AMIGA fans will spend their last days in a nursery home?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »
Quote from: biggun;789504
you mean by the time OS is ported to ARM, most AMIGA fans will spend their last days in a nursery home?

That is a pretty accurate statement Gunnar.
AND fpga accelerators will have advanced far enough to actual place legacy hardware in real contention.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2015, 02:35:33 AM »

Sure you meant nursing home.
I tell you though, if I had the choice I'd rather go out in a nursery. Nursing homes are too depressing.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »

Not sure how old you are, but I expect ARM (or more precise cheap ARM like used in rPI) to reach that level of power in a few years.

As to porting/polishing the OS..... *shrug* AROS sure has the resources to do it in <5 years, but those resources are spread thin into 2486 directions, MorphOS hasn't really started, real development on AmigaOS68k is hampered in red tape and don't even get me started on OS4.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
7. Blame someone else

guest11527

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:08 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;789528
Not sure how old you are, but I expect ARM (or more precise cheap ARM like used in rPI) to reach that level of power in a few years.

As to porting/polishing the OS..... *shrug* AROS sure has the resources to do it in <5 years, but those resources are spread thin into 2486 directions, MorphOS hasn't really started, real development on AmigaOS68k is hampered in red tape and don't even get me started on OS4.

What would be the end result? Another "wanna-be" AmigaOs, which is in fact years behind any Linux system on the same hardware? You still don't get all the 68K applications to run on it natively, so you need an emulator for them. So if that's acceptable, what is exactly wrong with x86?

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2015, 07:38:40 AM »
Did I ever say anything was wrong with x86 ??

I was just pointing out that "ARM is to slow" wasn't a valid argument.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
7. Blame someone else