Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga NG underpowered?  (Read 1466 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Is Amiga NG underpowered?
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »
Is Amiga NG underpowered and that is why I don't want to buy one?
I hate to troll, but the new PowerPC systems are getting old or seriously old.
Any chance of us moving to an ARM platform?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline xboxOwn

• Show only replies by xboxOwn
Re: Is Amiga NG underpowered?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;788991

I have one suggestion. Lay down on your bed or couch, close your eyes until you sleep. Then in your dreams you can have all your wishes come to true. Downsize of it though, you will have to wake up. But ONLY there will you have your Amiga NG in an ARM platform.

You could do that as a solution OOOOoorrr skip OS 4.1 and use either AROS/MorphOS.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:39:43 PM »
Quote from: xboxOwn;788992
I have one suggestion. Lay down on your bed or couch, close your eyes until you sleep. Then in your dreams you can have all your wishes come to true. Downsize of it though, you will have to wake up. But ONLY there will you have your Amiga NG in an ARM platform.

You could do that as a solution OOOOoorrr skip OS 4.1 and use either AROS/MorphOS.

+1

That would be my advice too :)

If you want ARM (and use something on Raspberry) you have the option to use AROS (2 devs are right now working on a native version with full hardware seupport). Or use MorphOS on one of the many cheap options.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »
RasPi support is being added to Aros on a daily basis.  $35 mobo anyone?  But before you shout for joy, remember that a PPC is about 2x as fast per clock cycle and Intel is about 4x as fast per clock cycle versus an ARM CPU.

Since code density affects the efficiency of the caches, RISC processors have poor performance.  My suggestion is wait for the next-generation of 68k compatible FPGA cores.  They may not be as fast as PPC native code on PPC but can probably beat some emulators.  Likewise ARM CPUs are sloooow per clock cycle.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:46:24 PM by SamuraiCrow »

Offline broadblues

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
Is Amiga NG underpowered

Depnds what you want to do, *all* computers are underpowered as the demands of the user expand to twice the available processing power....

and that is why I don't want to buy one?

How should we know why you don't want to buy one?

I hate to troll,

So don;t :-)
but the new PowerPC systems are getting old or seriously old.

There are new systems in the works and my X1k and SAM are still giving me great service

I wouldn't hold my breath, and if were started tomorrow, by the time you got it all fully working the worl would be using the LEG processor faimilly and we'd start this conversation again.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 07:03:02 PM »
Well as it runs on a PC now...the answer is no!

;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

I personaly think that AmigaOS should be ported to X86 hardware and only then would NG Amiga's have a chance of becoming mainstream.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;788998
I personaly think that AmigaOS should be ported to X86 hardware and only then would NG Amiga's have a chance of becoming mainstream.

There's going to be a mandatory ROM lockout of non-approved (hobby) OSs on all new Windows 10 systems.  NG Amigas have no chance of becoming mainstream.   I'm going back to the classics using FPGA technology.  Classics have a better chance by sheer virtue of having more software.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
i don't consider that question trolling at all. it really depends on what you want to do. for me, the next-gen amigas have plenty of power. but then again i'm not using blender to do HD video editing on a regular basis. i have a company-provided PC for all work-related computing. on my next-gen amigas i watch my video collection, do my taxes and home accounting, participate in IRC, browse the web, manage my personal email accounts, figure out my nightly star-gazing, play around with tons of classic amiga apps and games, do digital sketching....

with the possible exception of web browsing, i've never thought, "man, i really need more grunt." but that's just my own use-case. was there something in particular you wanted to do on these machines? maybe that way we could figure out if the next-gen amigas have enough power or not. they make sense for some people (like me) and no sense for others. it just depends.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »
@above
With a good graphics card raw CPU power would not be as important. I should make a list of any difficult programs that I might use.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:27 PM »

Yes, it is astonishingly underpowered.

But there is one notable exception: AROS x86

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »
I'm happily chugging along at 33MHz on my classic system, able to do everything I need it to do including browse the web, play mp3's, gaming, etc.  These kind of questions really drive me nuts; what's underpowered for one person might be fantastic for someone else, ya know?  :griping:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline xboxOwn

• Show only replies by xboxOwn
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;789007
I'm happily chugging along at 33MHz on my classic system, able to do everything I need it to do including browse the web, play mp3's, gaming, etc.  These kind of questions really drive me nuts; what's underpowered for one person might be fantastic for someone else, ya know?  :griping:

Yeah, like take my pc for example. 8 core processor with windows 7 and 8 GB ram. What I use it fo?  Movies, browse net, Netflix, youtube, watch online movies and play xbox 360 qualities on my pc. Do I ever intend to upgrade ib future? Never! Until I am dead. To others my pc is junk to me it is a rocket

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »

What has been your experience with the Amiga NG computers?  The ARM chip based devices? Have you found specific OS4.1 programs that you believe would benefit from a more "powerful" ARM CPU?  Have you considered porting them to an ARM based device?

If you have not asked yourself these questions, then I think that would be the first step in any inquiry of this nature.