Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Retronaut Youtube channel, with Amiga content channel launched  (Read 11311 times)

Description:

Offline RetronautTopic starter

RetronautTech is a new Retro Computing channel on Youtube (but of course!)

https://www.youtube.com/@RetronautTech

Although not exclusively Amiga centric, it IS destined to have a LOT of Amiga content as its content creator, Chris Thomas, was an Amiga nut back in the 80s and 90s

So far videos have covered the Amiga 500, Amiga 1500/2000, and the Amiga 4000.

Upcoming videos will show the repair/restoration of an Amiga 1000, repair/restoration of an Amiga 2000 and Amiga 4000.

Please check out the channel, watch some videos, LIKE them, post comments please! and Subscribe if you like what you see!

Thanks

Chris Thomas
RetronautTech
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:57:37 PM by Retronaut »

The following users thanked this post: Boing-ball

Offline Boing-ball

Re: New Retronaut Youtube channel, with Amiga content channel launched
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 01:17:16 AM »
RetronautTech is a new Retro Computing channel on Youtube (but of course!)

https://www.youtube.com/@RetronautTech

Although not exclusively Amiga centric, it IS destined to have a LOT of Amiga content as its content creator, Chris Thomas, was an Amiga nut back in the 80s and 90s

So far videos have covered the Amiga 500, Amiga 1500/2000, and the Amiga 4000.

Upcoming videos will show the repair/restoration of an Amiga 1000, repair/restoration of an Amiga 2000 and Amiga 4000.

Please check out the channel, watch some videos, LIKE them, post comments please! and Subscribe if you like what you see!

Thanks

Chris Thomas
RetronautTech

Just subscribed and left a comment for you 👍🏻 Very professional opening and end credit sequences. Very 2001 esq… 😉

To add to what I’ve seen on your video of the A4000 board..

You have a Buster rev 09 which can cause you issue with the bugs it has. You may want to look at upgrading that chip to a REV 11.
Or wait to see if the new Rev 13 comes out from Icomp, which Dave Haynie (one of the original Commodore A4000 engineers) is working on.

You don’t need to use 4 x 4MB simms for the 16MB FastRAM. You can use 2 x 8MB simms in banks 1 & 3.

Zorro-III RAM is slower than the onboard fast simms. Roughly 95% the speed.

A lot of the updated CPU cards can accommodate up to 128MB RAM which is faster than the FastRAM Simms.

A CD or DVD IDE drive comes in handy if you want to install some Amiga OS versions. Such as OS3.9 (CD only with a boot floppy) or the latest from Hyperion which is version 3.2 (Now upto 3.2.2.1)

Good luck with the Channel.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 01:24:51 AM by Boing-ball »

Offline RetronautTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 12:02:35 PM »

Yes, I wanted to make a representation of a journey through tech, and this tunnel of neon Retro computing logos. I think the Hyperspace sequence in 2001 MUST have popped up in my subconscious as inspiration. It was fun to make, as I don't really do much 3D anymore, had to dredge up old skills...

I know about the Buster, in fact, during its repair, I inadvertently put my Buster in 90 degrees rotated  ::) yeah, you can imagine....
The machine was not working at this point, so had I blown the chip or was it something else
Anyway, I got it fixed and the Buster survived (it seems so far...)

I find 11's are only really available from Analogic, and for £137. That's a LOT of £££ for a chip that works, and I've not noticed any bugs so far

I do plan on getting a ZZ9000 graphics card, and THAT requires an 11 I think. I'll make that jump when I need/can afford to...

I have it working now, using 4x 4bm simms, giving me 16bm and I'm fine with that. Good to know the Zorro III Ram is a tidge slower, makes the repair of the fast RAM slots worth it (for that 5%...)

Not sure I would get a CD-Rom just to install an OS once. Its a lot of faff for that.

I prefer to use WinUAE and do it all there, where I have all the mod-cons.

Thanks about the channel, its been fun so far

Cheers

Chris

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »
Yes, I wanted to make a representation of a journey through tech, and this tunnel of neon Retro computing logos. I think the Hyperspace sequence in 2001 MUST have popped up in my subconscious as inspiration. It was fun to make, as I don't really do much 3D anymore, had to dredge up old skills...

I know about the Buster, in fact, during its repair, I inadvertently put my Buster in 90 degrees rotated  ::) yeah, you can imagine....
The machine was not working at this point, so had I blown the chip or was it something else
Anyway, I got it fixed and the Buster survived (it seems so far...)

I find 11's are only really available from Analogic, and for £137. That's a LOT of £££ for a chip that works, and I've not noticed any bugs so far

I do plan on getting a ZZ9000 graphics card, and THAT requires an 11 I think. I'll make that jump when I need/can afford to...

I have it working now, using 4x 4bm simms, giving me 16bm and I'm fine with that. Good to know the Zorro III Ram is a tidge slower, makes the repair of the fast RAM slots worth it (for that 5%...)

Not sure I would get a CD-Rom just to install an OS once. Its a lot of faff for that.

I prefer to use WinUAE and do it all there, where I have all the mod-cons.

Thanks about the channel, its been fun so far

Cheers

Chris

Good to know 👍🏻

The Buster Rev 11 is also recommended for Zorro III RAM cards according to the blurb you read before buying one.
Each to their own on the CD/DVD drive in a Amiga. Personally I have found them useful. A lot of upgrades from the likes of Elbox provide drivers on CD disc. Where you have to use those discs. Plus there are things like Old Amiga Cover CD’s and the like out there. 😉

Yeah Analogic seem to be the only place now for Buster 11 Chips. They were half the price a couple of years back. But demand seems to have driven up the prices. Especially with the new ACILL reproduction A4000D and the AA3000++ Motherboards being produced.