Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore's new portable  (Read 2897 times)

Description:

Offline boing

• Show only replies by boing
    • http://www.TribeOfHeart.org
Re: Commodore's new portable
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 16, 2005, 10:11:24 PM »
>"Stay tuned for more details as and when we receive them… "

They've got the darned thing... what more details do they need? Open the manual and look at the specifications.

I have an issue with this device aside from it's inability to handle .OGG Vorbis audio.

It makes $ for Microsoft.

Yes, in order for them to play .WMA and  WMV9 files, they have to play a licensing fee to MS.  It's just part of that creeping fascism/corporatism.

Now if it included a C64/C128 emulator, it might be fun.  If it had an Amiga emulator, it would be a must-buy.

Seriously people, since the CBM engineers are gone and "corporate culture" isn't even applicable, let's just consider that this might be a heathen gadget trying to get by on a familiar name and a logo.  

For $299 US after rebates, (HSN.com allows an additional 15% discount if you get their credit card) you can get this iPod Killer that also plays and RECORDS video and lets you play it back on other devices.  It plays music, lets you view photos, and has a 33% larger hard drive than the gadget from the company called Commodore.  You might think of it as the TiVO you can put in your poocket.  It's the

MusTek PVR-H140:

From HSN:  

Save and enjoy your favorite video entertainment wherever you go with this Personal Video Recorder by Mustek - now available at special savings with the $30 Mail-In Rebate! It's compact and stylish frame belies its versatility and ease of use. The SD/MMC, MP3, WMA and MPEG4 audio/video recorded program playback lets you enjoy your favorite digital videos and music along with photo slide shows straight from your digital camera.

Its one-touch recording lets you connect with any TV, cable, satellite or DVD player and record your favorite video right away. The 40 GB hard drive can hold over 500 CDs, over 40 hours of TV programs or thousands of digital photos, and it also works as a USB mass storage drive. Its programmable timer lets you record video from cable or satellite boxes while you're away.

The USB version 2.0 PC interface gives you fast file downloads and transfers to and from your computer. Plus, its built-in microphone and speaker lets you use your PVR as a voice recorder. Other details of this Portable Video Recorder include:

* $30 mail-in rebate on purchases between 5/20/05 and 8/30/05 from HSN, HSN.com, or America's Store. Requests must be postmarked within 30 days of the date on your HSN packing slip.  Please allow up to 8 weeks to receive your rebate check.
    * Model #: PVR-H140
    * Includes USB and AV cables, Lithium-ion battery, pouch, ear buds, AC adaptor, manual, installation, application software
    * 3.6" color TFT LCD screen
    * A/V input and output, plus earphone jack
    * SD/MMC memory card slot
    * Folding rear tilt stand
    * DPS support
    * PVR console with file converter, disk tools, calendar to go, personal style and MAX console
    * ULead VideoStudio SE, PhotoExpress SE and Adobe Acrobat Reader software included
    * Silver finish
    * Measures approx. 4-1/4"L x 3-1/4"W x 1-1/4"H
    * Comes with a manufacturer's limited 1 year warranty

HSN's page on the MusTek PVR-H140

There's a cheaper ($130 US), less-featured version
here

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 11:15:31 PM »
But it aint got the chicken-head on it!

:)

Overpriced or not, i like it.

It looks neet, simple, and impressive.

The MusTek PVR-H140 looks more like a digi cam with a large screen if you ask me ..
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 04:00:58 PM »
It makes $ for Microsoft.
Yes, in order for them to play .WMA and WMV9 files, they have to play a licensing fee to MS. It's just part of that creeping fascism/corporatism.

There's nothing abnormal here.  WMA and WMV9 are Microsoft plugins and specs.  It's no different than having to license Jpg to show them on a device nowaday.

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 09:24:51 AM »
Why would I buy this instead of a PSP? PSP can decode H.264

Oh nevermind...I have a laptop...

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »
They REALLY should have added Dual Analog along with a directional pad, and a few buttons. My Gameboy SP can play movies and MP3's...
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Will-i-am

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 04:25:51 PM »
I thought it curious that if is either touted as a video device or an MPEG3 device, apparently depending on if the review liked it or not. As to why you'd buy it and not another, well, why buy a 50 year old car when you can have a new one? Why buy the old VW bug when they have the New Beetle? Why does my computer room devote so much space to my Amiga collection when I could buy a new laptop with state-of-the-art OS? or why do I fire my ceramic sculpture using wood for fuel instead of an automatic electric kiln? Because I prefer the differences.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 07:48:17 PM »
I think we could port OS4 to this. :roflmao:
Falling into a dark and red rage.