Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PiStorm Full and Lite Discussion  (Read 5694 times)

Description:

Offline klx300rTopic starter

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
PiStorm Full and Lite Discussion
« on: January 11, 2023, 08:23:31 PM »
looks crazy good but just wondering why is it a "Lite" model ???
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: PiStorm Full and Lite Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
looks crazy good but just wondering why is it a "Lite" model ???

Because of the PI shortage. This version allows normal PI's to be used.
Full version, only allows PI4 Compute module. If I read it correctly.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »
Not just the Pi shortage, they can't source the original FPGA used in the design! The CM4 will still work with the 'lite' model but will require an adapter board that is being custom made! In the meantime the other RPis are compatible though air flow will be better with the CM4.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 05:51:32 PM »
Not just the Pi shortage, they can't source the original FPGA used in the design! The CM4 will still work with the 'lite' model but will require an adapter board that is being custom made! In the meantime the other RPis are compatible though air flow will be better with the CM4.

Huh?

You replying to me or just ignored what I said?
Not sure why you mention FPGA, when there are no PI's available unless you want to pay over £100. So what I said is correct.
Full version uses CM4 as you put it. Why on earth would you want an adapter for the lite to add a CM4 compute module, when you can buy a PI4 which will not need adapter.
Makes no sense and confuses things completely.

Full is for CM4 only, Lite reworked to allow PI's with 40pin GPIO headers to be used.
Besides CM4 version isnt even up and running properly yet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 05:55:46 PM by F0LLETT »
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:29:49 PM »
Because they're making more CM4s but not necessarily full PiStorm32s due to continuing issues with the supply chain! If the lite is all they can make then that with an adapter board makes sense!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 08:22:45 PM »
@F0LLETT

Also, it is stupid having your HDMI, ethernet and USB ports stuck inside the A1200 trap door! The CM4 will allow better air flow as the board will be almost flush and a mounting kit will be provided to take the ports to the expansion slot at the back of the case! The CM4 is still the best option even for the 'lite' Pistorm32 IMHO!

Offline kolla

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 11:49:18 PM »
@FOLLETT

Both “full” and “lite” have FPGAs, the “full” uses Lattice LFE5U-12F-6BG256C and the “lite” uses Efinix Trion T8Q144C4…

Which one is available for cheap in large quantities, and which is not, do you think?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 10:56:56 AM »
@FOLLETT

Both “full” and “lite” have FPGAs, the “full” uses Lattice LFE5U-12F-6BG256C and the “lite” uses Efinix Trion T8Q144C4…

Which one is available for cheap in large quantities, and which is not, do you think?

Not what we were talking about at all. What you said is pointless, if there are no Pi's to use with them.
As there are no CM4's, it doesnt matter, its just a way to let people use Pi's they may already have. Do you think?

Because they're making more CM4s but not necessarily full PiStorm32s due to continuing issues with the supply chain! If the lite is all they can make then that with an adapter board makes sense!

Show me one place, I can buy a CM4. No Pi's are available unless you pay rip off merchants who are charging over £100+ for Pi3 A and B.
So, your going to pay for PiStorm32 lite then another adapter, just to connect a CM4. Sorry doesnt sound logical at all. More pointless connections means more problems.

@F0LLETT

Also, it is stupid having your HDMI, ethernet and USB ports stuck inside the A1200 trap door! The CM4 will allow better air flow as the board will be almost flush and a mounting kit will be provided to take the ports to the expansion slot at the back of the case! The CM4 is still the best option even for the 'lite' Pistorm32 IMHO!

Have you actually looked at the Lite????? it fits in a certain way to allow Heatsink to be attached. Plus they dont get that hot. My ACA1221 overclocked to 50MHz runs at 60 degs every day, 8 hours a day for last 5 or 6 years without one issue in a fully enclosed case. Seriously doubt a Pi will get any were near that hot.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:39:54 PM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 08:03:40 PM »
@F0LLET

Not everyone has a RPi in their sock drawer! Given the choice between a full RPi4 and CM4 for PiStorm32 duties, the CM4 makes the most sense. Yes, there's a kludge adapter due to the full PiStorm32 FPGA being impossible to source ATM. It still is a more elegant cable management/port solution compared to the full size RPi boards! If you want a CM4 for a reasonable price by July, buy one on back order from CPC Farnell like me. Sorry this is not up to your standards but kudos for them amending the design in the face of the ongoing parts shortage!

8)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:05:52 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline kolla

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 10:44:31 PM »
This discussion is bordering to silly. What I recall from discussions on discord was that there indeed was a “chip shortage” problem, the “full” board, as it was originally designed was a challenge (in particular the FPGA). So a redisign was almost needed anyhow. Yes, raspberry pis have been close to impossible to buy at all - BUT - CM4 was the one mostly available all through the troubled times (as I’m sure one can ser from rpilocator.com via archive.org). However, a pistorm board that can accept just about any old raspberry pi is a huge advantage, as many of us indeed have them lying around. So why not.

With the adapter board, it may even be possible to install CM4 on “old” Pistorm and Pistorm600.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 11:16:23 AM »
@F0LLET

Not everyone has a RPi in their sock drawer! Given the choice between a full RPi4 and CM4 for PiStorm32 duties, the CM4 makes the most sense. Yes, there's a kludge adapter due to the full PiStorm32 FPGA being impossible to source ATM. It still is a more elegant cable management/port solution compared to the full size RPi boards! If you want a CM4 for a reasonable price by July, buy one on back order from CPC Farnell like me. Sorry this is not up to your standards but kudos for them amending the design in the face of the ongoing parts shortage!

8)

You really, love to argue.

You would be suprised how many Pi's some people actually have in "their sock drawer" as you put it.

Funny how you quote the only company that quotes a date. Yet, if you checked further, you will have seen that they will have ONLY 2 on that date. Wow, we are all saved, every one order quick.

Please dont try and twist what I have said to try and make it look like I don't like what they have done.

With the adapter board, it may even be possible to install CM4 on “old” Pistorm and Pistorm600.

Now something interesting. That would be cool.

Besides, I think the the Lite is a great idea for using any Pi people may already have. Which was my whole point in the first place.

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 01:01:07 PM »
There are 2No. of the 1GB lite CM4 as of last night left to allocate for July but that doesn't include those already ordered including mine. Initially my 1GB model was going to be shipping in October so they've able to secure more for July since I ordered just over a week ago! There are more of the 2GB models available for July including over 20No. of the lite model with WiFi if you think that will be utilised for Amiga use (it is planned). If people don't have a RPi in their sock drawer and don't want to mutilate their A1200 case then I would recommend backordering a CM4 now! I trust the Claude and the PiStorm team to finalise their boards and software.

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 05:09:22 PM »
There are 2No. of the 1GB lite CM4 as of last night left to allocate for July but that doesn't include those already ordered including mine. Initially my 1GB model was going to be shipping in October so they've able to secure more for July since I ordered just over a week ago! There are more of the 2GB models available for July including over 20No. of the lite model with WiFi if you think that will be utilised for Amiga use (it is planned). If people don't have a RPi in their sock drawer and don't want to mutilate their A1200 case then I would recommend backordering a CM4 now! I trust the Claude and the PiStorm team to finalise their boards and software.

What am I missing, Claude did the Lite board???
So you trust in him on the Full one, but not the Lite???

WHO CARES. Its been designed to fit in pretty well. Please show me where it says you have to mutilate your case. If putting a bit of tape on a header to stop it shorting (JUST IN CASE) is mutilating your case, then I'm sorry I do not know what else to say.
Or if your talking about the USB and other sockest on the board, PLEASE stop. Its easy to extend them and have them going to exactly the same place as the FULL one.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 05:10:13 PM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 08:34:18 PM »
Yeah Michal Schulz is the lead on the lite board and I trust him to deliver too!

The comment regarding mutilating the A1200 case came from photos showing the ports of a full RPi  flush with the side of the case suggesting some cut outs were needed. I may be wrong though and you might be right about routing the ports to the back with extenders.

I'm just excited the CM 4 boards are available at some point this year!

Why not get one too and join the party?

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 05:36:54 PM »
Not everyone has a RPi in their sock drawer!

I do - it arrived today. I bought a 2GB 4B kit from Pimoroni (the PSU and case will come in handy for other applications), but they're now out of stock too. The moral of the story is to just keep trying reputable retailers for a Pi, and it'll be worth it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 05:41:27 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro