Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonic the hedgehog?  (Read 14654 times)

Description:

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show all replies
Re: Sonic the hedgehog?
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 10, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
I've got Mr Beanbag running around in Green Hill Zone now.  I've also converted some of the bad guy's sprites so I'll add them in next.  I could do with a few more frames of animation though, I've only been able to get static images of each character from screenshots.

The hardest thing to do is going to be loops.  But... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;675146
Do I need to install Backbone to run this, or is it stand-alone?

Just played it, it's pretty good, where did you get the sprites?  I somehow managed to fall off the level :roflmao:

His jumping action is pretty weird, he just goes straight up and then comes straight back down again, I guess this is backbone's fault.  He seems to have sideways inertia though.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;675543
I wonder if the music could be redone in 3 channels and fourth one used for game sounds, so the music is not interrupted when game sounds are on. Rhythm, base and music.

I had to cut enough out to get it down to only four channels, I'd recommend using a different channel for the effects though, at the moment it interrupts the tune which is the last thing you want.  On Mr Beanbag I typically interrupt the bass channel for SFX and you don't notice it so much.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;675607
I always wondered if a game could resume playing a note that was cut out, or if that channel would stay silent until the next note in that channel of the track is played, perhaps if the sample for the note was a long one or was inserted once with a loop.

This is possible, although you'd have to fade the interrupted note back in because if it came back suddenly it would sound out of place.

I also wonder about things like using the CPU to mix the channels to give you eight instead of four like how OctaMED does it, could it be used in an action game like a platformer or is there too much going on already?

Eight full music channels might be asking a bit much in a game, but it might be possible to mix effects into the drum track, if all the samples are the same frequency.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
I want to get my hands on the code for Jochel Hippel's 7 voice replay routine as used for the title music of Turrican II.