Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IBrowse 2.5.2 / AmiSSL 4.4 and Images…..  (Read 5096 times)

Description:

Offline giZmo350Topic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
IBrowse 2.5.2 / AmiSSL 4.4 and Images…..
« on: February 21, 2020, 01:05:37 AM »
So, a few days ago I installed IBrowse 2.5.2 and AmiSSL 4.4 on the A1200 in my sig. Both were installed over existing installations. It’s a very speedy A1200 mostly due to the Elbow FastATA and the accelerator w/FPU that supports DBURST!

I did have a problem where I couldn’t load the NAV Toolbar images but installing WarpPNGdt took care of that. I also have WarpJPGdt installed. Very nice datatype sets!

The only immediate problem I’m having (besides being quit slow - as reported by others) is that the browser seems (to me anyway) choke on embedded webpage images. I can’t even load GIF images at all. Does WarpDT have a GIF data type?

I have loaded up quit a few secure websites and it’s always the same thing…. the browser chokes on embedded webpage images and can’t display them. Amiga.org is PAINFULLY slow and I can’t display any GIF images. Images in posts load as fast and as well as can be expected though.

I downloaded akGIF-dt from AmiNet but the install won’t even get thru a “pretend” install without failing. Can anyone recommend a GIF data type that’s fast and non-intrusive to the OS that I might try?

Working with the latest browser version and it’s prefs will seem to be a lengthy process but thought I would try to get past this problem first.

Any tips appreciated (especially with SETTINGS! - & yes, been reading the docs - actually for years).....   ;D

BTW, Lemon Amiga works perfect with Javascript and the game images are gorgeous in 256 colors!   ;D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:51:58 PM by giZmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline x303

Re: IBrowse 2.5.2 / AmiSSL 4.4 and Images…..
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 02:14:17 PM »
Isn't the browser using the internal image plugins from the codecs dir instead of using warpdt / akdt?

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 04:28:48 PM »
Isn't the browser using the internal image plugins from the codecs dir instead of using warpdt / akdt?

Yes, all the image types are ticked for "internal" and I verified that the codecs are there.

When I installed 2.5.2 I chose to display the NAV images in 256 colors, which states during the install of the Image Sets, that the PNG data type is required. If I had chose 32 colors the install states that ILBM images are used, which I assume would then use the “Internal” codec functionality. Should I tick “external” for PNG images if I leave the 256 color option? This still doesn’t explain my GIF image problem though.

If I perform another re-install of 2.5.2 to the same drawer, will the install procedure update any changes I make?

I might have chose to install for a 68040 when I should have chose a 68020 (would this error slow the browser to a crawl?). Will a re-install change this for me? Can I manually switch to a different processor by copying and renaming a file if needed?

Can I just create a new clean install to different drawer? I checked my U-S and S-S and didn’t find any assigns or anything. Would that create a problem between IBrowse and AmiSSL?

I guess I’ll just have to try it and find out! 
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Offline x303

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »
Well, checking w/ snoopdos3, the codecs (incl. gif) are loaded, so that shouldn't be the problem. Maybe the gif codec is broken for your system ?

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:47 PM »
Performed a completely fresh install choosing 32 colors where ILBM images are copied to the images drawer which then uses the “Internal” codec functionality. I don't seem to have any conflicting GIF data types installed.

Still can't load embedded website GIF images.

Any ideas..... anyone?   ;)

Offline futaura

Re: IBrowse 2.5.2 / AmiSSL 4.4 and Images?..
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 12:42:44 PM »
Firstly, datatypes are always used to load GUI elements such as the toolbar buttons. All systems should have ilbm.datatype by default, so that's why the 32-colour set is in ILBM format. The 256-colour set was originally for OS4, where png.datatype is system supplied, but on OS3 you need to make sure you have one installed to use that set.

The internal decoders are only used for webpage images... Datatypes are only ever used for unhandled image types, or unless you have the built-in JPEG, PNG, GIF or XBM decoders set to external or the internal decoders cannot be loaded for some reason. Otherwise, the internal decoders will be used. On a 68k system (no PPC card), always set the 4 decoders to internal.

What is the error message shown when you hover the mouse of the error placeholder for GIF images?

And you definitely selected the 68020fpu option when installing?  BTW, it is safe to re-run the installer over an existing installation.

The following users thanked this post: giZmo350

Offline duga

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 05:30:48 PM »
There's a problem with either PNG or JPEG (or both) in 2.5, 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 (but not in 2.4).

I'm using datatypes instead and the problem is gone.

Someone who bothers can try to replace one at a time to find which one is the problem.

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 05:48:51 PM »
Firstly, datatypes are always used to load GUI elements such as the toolbar buttons. All systems should have ilbm.datatype by default, so that's why the 32-colour set is in ILBM format. The 256-colour set was originally for OS4, where png.datatype is system supplied, but on OS3 you need to make sure you have one installed to use that set.

Thanks for the reply, Oliver is it? I’ll try to keep this breif. Thanks for the clarification about the 256 color GUI elements usage.

The internal decoders are only used for webpage images... Datatypes are only ever used for unhandled image types, or unless you have the built-in JPEG, PNG, GIF or XBM decoders set to external or the internal decoders cannot be loaded for some reason. Otherwise, the internal decoders will be used. On a 68k system (no PPC card), always set the 4 decoders to internal.

Yes, I have always set the built-in JPEG, PNG, GIF or XBM decoders as Internal and are sets such now.

What is the error message shown when you hover the mouse of the error placeholder for GIF images?

The error message is: (mostly on GIF Images)
Image Error: SSL Connect Error. The remote server is using an encryption protocol not supported by IBrowse. Please refer to the troubleshooting > SSL section of the documentation for assistance.

In many other cases I get:
Network Error: Broken Pipe.

And you definitely selected the 68020fpu option when installing?  BTW, it is safe to re-run the installer over an existing installation.

On the clean install, I definitely selected 68020 FPU option

Just FYI:
I had the least amount of problems when I first installed over IBrowse 2.4

With a clean install:
I can’t load ANY images from Amiga.org, some from AmigaWorld.net, Everything loading from LemonAmiga (not a secure site), and nothing from something big like AccuWeather.

I did try right clicking on an error-ed image and can always get the image to display when choosing “view image separately.

I really like your WarpDT product and will purchase today if I can solve the problem using it. However, the package does not seem to have a datatype for GIF images - any suggestions there?

I will now go check out the SSL troubleshooting section for IBrowse.

Thanks much for any help Oliver.

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 05:51:23 PM »
There's a problem with either PNG or JPEG (or both) in 2.5, 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 (but not in 2.4).

Someone who bothers can try to replace one at a time to find which one is the problem.

Hi duga, thanks for the info on the other versions of IBrowse! Yeah, WarpDT datatype sets really seemed to help. I was installing them one at a time but did not find one for GIF images. Which one are you using for GIF images, if I might ask?

Offline futaura

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 06:38:34 PM »
Ok, then it seems to be SSL timeouts. On the errored images, if you right click and select load image or view separately, do they then load and display, if you do one at a time?

What do you have maximum number of secure connections set to in the Network settings? I would suggest setting it to 2 or 1 on your system.

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 06:51:33 PM »
Ok, then it seems to be SSL timeouts. On the errored images, if you right click and select load image or view separately, do they then load and display, if you do one at a time?

Yes, right clicking on an error-ed image I can always get the image to display when choosing “view image separately.

What do you have maximum number of secure connections set to in the Network settings? I would suggest setting it to 2 or 1 on your system.

Right now I have the max secure connections setting to "Pedal to the Metal"!  ;D   (on this same machine, years ago, setting connections to full max was a great speed up when loading pages). Yea, I was reading the docs stating that that can slow the loading process down. I'll try reducing that and get back....

Also, do you offer a GIF datatype?   ;)

BTW, I purchased IBrowse 2.5.2 a while back and a HUGE thanks for maintaining IBrowse!!!   :D
I have always know about WarpDT but never used it before yesterday. I really like it and will be purchasing today!  8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:55:45 PM by giZmo350 »

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 11:58:48 PM »
Hi Oliver...  dropping the secure connections to 2 fixed the GIF image problem. I found dropping it to 1 is actually even slightly faster. Thanks so much for your help...

Now, is there any way to speed up secure connections? I'll offer to test anything, anytime to help!

Thanks again!

Next I'll install on my A2K - in my sig.  :D
Trying to play youtube vids might better left to the BLIZZZ!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:21:24 AM by giZmo350 »

Offline futaura

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 10:27:58 AM »
The trouble is that, particularly on 68k, the the bottleneck on HTTPS is the CPU, opposed to network speed for plain HTTP. Of course, even network speed is not so much of a problem these days either, compared to when these features were first introduced into IBrowse :). In reality, on 68k, there is not going to be a big difference in total page loading speed with 1 secure connection or 16, because the CPU will be saturated in either case, because the SSL algorithms are more complex and slower now then they were in the past. In fact, with multiple connections battling for CPU time, it may end up being slower because SSL renegotiations are triggered, ultimately leading to timeouts.

For IBrowse 2.5.3, I'm currently working on adding SSL session caching, which allows handshaking to be bypassed after the first connection, which I hope will help speed up things on 68k, especially for TLSv1.3 which has an even better caching method than previous versions.

No GIF datatype from me - since one came supplied with OS3.5 (or was it 3.9?) or later, I never saw the point, as there is not much room for optimisation. Thanks for trying the WarpDTs.

The following users thanked this post: giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 03:14:18 PM »
Well, without going into some diatribe of how javascript and then SSL has killed off pretty much the ability to use the web on PPC and Intel Dual Core/Core2Duo machines I have had in the past 7 years or so, I think it's a miracle that IBrowse 2.5.2 & AmiSSL 4.4 works as well as it does on a 40MHz machine. I don't have an OS4 machine to test but I'll bet it works pretty well on 1GHz+ OS4 machine.

While testing last night I actually had the same thought of caching the SSL session.  :D

So again, thanks much for this huge functionality and and continued updates!

Offline duga

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »

Hi duga, thanks for the info on the other versions of IBrowse! Yeah, WarpDT datatype sets really seemed to help. I was installing them one at a time but did not find one for GIF images. Which one are you using for GIF images, if I might ask?

For GIF I use the internal iBrowse function. I only use datatypes for PNG and JPEG.