Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help compile giant list of Amiga hardware vapor  (Read 19026 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: Help compile giant list of Amiga hardware vapor
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Quote from: Pwrmonger;320200
Best I can tell, the addons package for Opalvision was named the Opalvision Video Processor. This is the label added to the box containing a beta unit that I have.

This consisted of an Opalvision, Roaster chip for the Opalvision boards empty chip socket, the Framebuffer card that attaches to the Opalvision, a fan to cool them that blows through a hole on the daughtercard over the roaster chip (I think, been a long time since I've taken that out of the box).

In truth, Vaporware should be limited to items actually announced as being prepared for sale to consumers. The Opalvision Video Processor definately qualifies. I think they were even taking orders for this before it slipped beneath the waves. Internal prototypes and devemopment systems, though we might wish they had been completed and sold, are not technically vapor.

There had to be smoke for there to be vapor.

But all in all, an interesting and informative list.

The Roaster chip is certainly not vaporware, I have seen an Opalvision with the Roaser chip working in Argentina about ten years ago.

Offline Gulliver

Re: Help compile giant list of Amiga hardware vapor
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:44:54 PM »
I remember the heart of the Roaster was a xilinx chip that had to be plugged  to a socket on the Opalvision motherboard, but could only work if the card was the last revision (I can remember the number).

It provided 3D effects similar than the toaster, but also usable in PAL.