Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What will drive the New Amiga?  (Read 22822 times)

Description:

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show all replies
Re: What will drive the New Amiga?
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
Unlike some users here, I see the necessity for various security features such as sudp, privilege separation and permissions. Yeah, its a PITA, but I would rather run BSD, Linux and IRIX, which are at least *somewhat* ready for a security-conscious person, than AmigaOS. In addition, on the aforementioned OSes I can easily setup shell and Perl scripts to run automatically using the system function crontab but if I need to run them on demand all I need to do is make sure their location is in my shell's PATH.

Similarly I have access to significantly more advanced filesystem,. I have never seen an Amiga filesystem support soft updates, for example, and those are safer and easier for me to use, as well as faster and less likely to lose data. I don't know how Amiga filesystems store logs, but it looks like SFS is a 32-bit only equivalent of ext3, PFS and AFFS ( FFS is the BSD name for UFS,so AFFS is standard for Amiga ) are equivalent to the original UFS and ext2, that is no logging or soft updates so the filesystem has to undergo periodic checks on boot and while in use for file fragmentation and possible crash operations. I like soft updates because they ensure disks are atomically written, don't require an fsck before mounting and guarantee filesystem integrity.

Also, just me here, but I like IRIX Magic Desktop just as much as the AmigaOS look. In some ways the GUI is even more flexible, such as the native GL-acceleration allows for transparency and desktop effects without relying on DRI, which is basically a nasty hack over X11. The desktop of IRIX is one of the reasons I continue using IRIX, as it has the right amount of usability and customisable look, using the .Xdefaults file.

Using an NG Amiga would require a damn convincing reason to spend 6 times what I would pay for a top of the line SGI, for comparable performance, that's why I await 4.2+ and SMP/64-bit support/memory protection
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:05:35 PM by TeamBlackFox »
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show all replies
Re: What will drive the New Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:03:32 PM »
I think people forget that mobile OSes are minimal by design to aid ease of use on simplistic devices. Traditional OSes are indeed far from dead: The internet is still run by BSD ( All of the core network infra uses BSD ) most sites are served by BSD, Linux and derivatives. As long as servers are a thing, there isn't any end in site.

I have a concept I have been working on and I have begun coding some of the easier parts of the system. It isn't anymore 'Amiga' than say Haiku OS, but it will certainly take a lot of inspiration:

It is going to have a lot of UNIX and Plan 9 influence on the bare bones and backend look, but it will take some pages from AmigaOS, namely there will be a message passing daemon which handles IPC where socket files involves too much overhead (Moreorless, a D-BUS alternative) it will have one official, supported GUI and will support graphical and text based programs equally, and have a variety of configuration options to fit a user's preference and workflow.

Nobody here will likely use it as I am planning for something beyond the Amiga community, I don't plan to hold to any group or community's plans or interest, and it will likely run on some future proofed, progress oriented platform.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.