Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PiStorm Full and Lite Discussion  (Read 5729 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: PiStorm Full and Lite Discussion
« on: January 13, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »
Not just the Pi shortage, they can't source the original FPGA used in the design! The CM4 will still work with the 'lite' model but will require an adapter board that is being custom made! In the meantime the other RPis are compatible though air flow will be better with the CM4.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 10:29:49 PM »
Because they're making more CM4s but not necessarily full PiStorm32s due to continuing issues with the supply chain! If the lite is all they can make then that with an adapter board makes sense!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 08:22:45 PM »
@F0LLETT

Also, it is stupid having your HDMI, ethernet and USB ports stuck inside the A1200 trap door! The CM4 will allow better air flow as the board will be almost flush and a mounting kit will be provided to take the ports to the expansion slot at the back of the case! The CM4 is still the best option even for the 'lite' Pistorm32 IMHO!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 08:03:40 PM »
@F0LLET

Not everyone has a RPi in their sock drawer! Given the choice between a full RPi4 and CM4 for PiStorm32 duties, the CM4 makes the most sense. Yes, there's a kludge adapter due to the full PiStorm32 FPGA being impossible to source ATM. It still is a more elegant cable management/port solution compared to the full size RPi boards! If you want a CM4 for a reasonable price by July, buy one on back order from CPC Farnell like me. Sorry this is not up to your standards but kudos for them amending the design in the face of the ongoing parts shortage!

8)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:05:52 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 01:01:07 PM »
There are 2No. of the 1GB lite CM4 as of last night left to allocate for July but that doesn't include those already ordered including mine. Initially my 1GB model was going to be shipping in October so they've able to secure more for July since I ordered just over a week ago! There are more of the 2GB models available for July including over 20No. of the lite model with WiFi if you think that will be utilised for Amiga use (it is planned). If people don't have a RPi in their sock drawer and don't want to mutilate their A1200 case then I would recommend backordering a CM4 now! I trust the Claude and the PiStorm team to finalise their boards and software.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 08:34:18 PM »
Yeah Michal Schulz is the lead on the lite board and I trust him to deliver too!

The comment regarding mutilating the A1200 case came from photos showing the ports of a full RPi  flush with the side of the case suggesting some cut outs were needed. I may be wrong though and you might be right about routing the ports to the back with extenders.

I'm just excited the CM 4 boards are available at some point this year!

Why not get one too and join the party?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 07:24:13 PM »
Ha ha! It took me a moment to get that! ;D

But seriously maybe it's Michal doing the CM4 adapter board but he's definitely heavily involved! 

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 12:27:49 AM »
@kolla

What did I say? That Michal is a trustworthy guy! CM4 adapter prototype boards are already in production!

https://mobile.twitter.com/michal_schulz
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:31:23 AM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 09:29:03 AM »
@Karlos

Did you back-order a CM4 in preparation?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 11:21:20 AM »
Considering the CPC deliveries start in July for the CM4 if you order now I expect the beta tester "pioneers" will have ironed out most of the issues by then! Plus the CM4 is only £30 to £40!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
I think the larger RPis will fit "in a fashion" since RetroPassion IS selling prebuilt kits with the RPi3A+ so it's possible. However, the CM4 is a minature RPi4 spec board without the IO so will fit better. Claude has designed a neat IO port and cabling solution routing to the back of the A1200 case and Michal has designed an adapter board that both allows the IO cable to connect and provides an internal SD slot (for the EMU68 software) as well as providing a low profile way of attaching the CM4 to the 'lite' PiStorm32 model (we ideally would have got a 'full' version of the PiStorm32 board without the need for an adapter but the parts are unobtainable at the moment).

I view the CM4 solution as the ideal and think it'll fit in the A1200 better than the current RPi3A+ solution sold by RetroPassion and it will give more MIPS. If you have a spare full RPi in your sock drawer then I guess you just give it a go and see how well it fits otherwise go the CM4 route! Obviously, we're still at early doors and some testing still needs to be done with the incoming adapter prototype boards but I have faith that Michal/Claude will overcome any obstacles as they seem to know their stuff. Make sure you buy a lite version of the CM4 board to get SD card functionality on the adapter board and any more than a 2GB model is a waste (I went for a 1GB model). WiFi functionality is being worked on for the future (so get a WiFi model if that interests you) but all CM4s support ethernet, USB and HDMI.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 04:34:48 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 05:27:53 PM »
Its going to run into same issues as normal Pi. It will have an even bigger footprint than a normal Pi.

I can't see how you surmise that since all the extra IO ports on the full RPi boards which will use up space and hence block airflow are not present. The CM4 has been positioned as far back as possible on the design of the adapter board and the IO ports are then positioned at the back of the case on a separate module connecting the adapter board with just a ribbon cable! It makes perfect sense to wait for a CM4 if you don't own a RPi already. The RPi 4 boards are even harder to source (and at least £10 more expensive) and if used for the PiStorm have a lot of ports trapped within the case! Yes, you can trail extension cables out from them but it's a very ugly solution IMHO! 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 05:28:24 PM by BozzerBigD »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
Surely ethernet and USB will be supported too?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 05:57:20 PM »
Will you write the drivers needed?

I would if I could! I obviously love the open source nature of this project and am prepared to tinker but drivers are a bit beyond me! I think it's a case of installing the ports on the back of the A1200 and one day we'll be able to use them all!

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 08:24:49 PM »
@Thread

Such a shame the first batch of PiStorm32 boards manufactured by JLCPCB had paste layer mask issues causing beads of solder to get wedged in the connector holes! Hopefully this will be sorted out and JLCPCB will respect the paste layer masks/paste locations provided rather than produce their own erroneous ones!

Excitedly awaiting a report from Michal regarding the prototype CM4 adapter boards for the PiStorm32! I pray that they work and are ready for production!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 08:25:34 PM by BozzerBigD »