Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000D - Yellow screen  (Read 1831 times)

Description:

Offline cehofer

Re: A4000D - Yellow screen
« on: January 11, 2023, 05:12:58 PM »
FYI,

About 10 years ago, I found an A4000 MB on ebay yellow screening.  I started poking around on it and found and I don't know how they did this but Buster was installed 90 degrees out and forced into the socket.  I carefully  got it out and put it in correctly.  It booted right up.  At that time I was able to get a Buster 11.  So yellow is definitely Buster.   I was surprised by putting in the chip 90 degrees out didn't fry the board. 

Since then, I recapped it and still runs great!

Offline cehofer

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 10:03:12 PM »
Yes.  On another A4000D I have, I had to replace all 3 chips and trace repair by the battery because of leakage.  I actually lost one direction of mouse, aga, and real time clock.  It wouldn't find it and I could not save the time manually.  There is a trace that runs back to the ROMs I think that tells it that it is AGA capable.  It sounds like battery damage.  Even if it doesn't look that bad, over time the chemical reaction just keeps dissolving the traces.  I think I got the 3 chips on Ebay or Digikey.  It has been a couple years now.

It was scary and fun at the same time to desolder each chip with my new solder/heat gun station.  You have to use a heatgun.   I watched several videos on Youtube before attempting desoldering.  I think there is a guy that actually does the battery damage repair on youtube.  I have been soldering for years but that was my first at surface mount chips.

If you have battery damage, It can creep all the way to the through hole eyelets and damage the connection.  I recommend an ohm meter and ohm all the connections.  It looks like from your pictures that you have the battery damage creeping with the discoloration on the board.  Once you get the chips out, you can clean the board with alcohol.  BTW, It really sucks if it creeps to the right and damages the RAM socket.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:18:37 PM by cehofer »

The following users thanked this post: Tumbleweed

Offline cehofer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 05:15:52 PM »
FYI,

Even after I fixed all the continuity of the traces and before I replaced the chips, it still didn't fix my problems.  I was really discouraged at that point.  It wasn't until I removed, cleaned and replaced the 3 chips that it fixed my problems.

I purchased my solder/heat gun station 4 years ago on ebay for around $250 US.  I did because I had 2-A4kT, 3-A4kD, and a CD32 to recap as well as their power supplies.  I wanted nice heat control to be able to recap the smd caps.  I am still not fully confident on using a heatgun to remove chips.  I purchased an IR table to preheat. 
There is a guy in NZ who is highly recommended and not cheap.  There is pretty much nobody in the US that does it that I am aware of.  I am scared that my stuff would get lost or damaged if I shipped it all the way to NZ plus the shipping would be outrageous.

The solder station was a good investment.  I have used it to repair a lot of other stuff too besides my Amigas.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 05:48:08 PM by cehofer »

Offline cehofer

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 10:30:55 PM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:32:33 PM by cehofer »

The following users thanked this post: Tumbleweed