Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Am I doing it wrong ?  (Read 2038 times)

Description:

Offline tintinTopic starter

• Show only replies by tintin
Am I doing it wrong ?
« on: September 05, 2003, 09:12:45 AM »
I've posted an add in the classifieds both here and on two other amiga related sites as well as on Amibench.  So far I can see quite a few people had a peep at the offer but I only got 2 people showing any interest at all.  Maybe those two are all I need but I imagined there would be more of an interest in an Amiga 4000.  Isn't that supposed to be hard to get ?
So I'm wondering what's wrong.  Do I live in the wrong part of the world ?  Or am I trying to sell the wrong machine ?  Anyway it's still there so you experts go have a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong... 8-)

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Re: Am I doing it wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 09:17:37 AM »
Hmm, I suppose eBay might be the answer...
I saw an A4000 going on UK eBay for over 100 UKP, which is about 150 Euro (and that was just for the machine alone)
I like Amigas

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 01:34:06 PM »
Thanx.  Might give that a try.  Makes sense really, bigger community so more chances of people being interested.  Somehow I never was fond of e-bay, all those stories about bad sales, of course in this case I'm the seller so no need to distrust myself, is there ?  How about untrustworthy buyers, is there such a thing ?

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 02:08:26 PM »
I'm afraid so - people who win your auction and then don't pay, wasting your time....

But that doesn't always happen! Give it a go.

By the way, I mentioned seeing an Amiga 4000 on ebay, well it hasn't finished yet actually, see:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2749958854&category=1247

Cheers,
Cyberus
I like Amigas

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 03:31:52 PM »
Don't put "offers".  Name a price and stick to it.  People can't be bothered with what amounts to an auction on amibench.

Say someone offers you £100.  you agree.  Then 10 minutes later you get an offer for £110, so you email the first person and tell them that you had a better offer.  Then someone offers you £120, etc... its a pain in the arse for the people trying to buy your computer.  If you want to sell it, name a price, and if you agree to sell it to someone, stick to it - don't back out just because you had a better offer.  

I had this happen to me.  I made an offer on a ppc card, the person agreed to sell it for that price, then he got a better offer and told me he would sell it to this person instead.  It turned out this new person never paid, so a week later he comes crawling back to me asking if I'm still interested.  I told him to f*** off.
 :-D

Offline prowler

• Show only replies by prowler
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 04:57:48 PM »
I agree, seeing 'make an offer' definately turns me off on going for what is for sale. Not just for the hassle of someone offering more but I have seen instances where the person has had an offer they found insulting and, well, got insulting back.

Also, living in Australia tends to make life a little difficult when it comes to buying certain things, ie, whole computers :)

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 05:23:48 PM »
i agre on this , "make an offer" is really boring , i never email em or contact them unless i REALLY REALLY want it , besides as mentioned above the seller also might be clueless and you can get a real bargain or a turky.... or whatever :)

a good example on ebay was, cd32 with 5 games + 2 controllers for 150 EURO ..  

another one , cd32 with 50 games + 2 controllers for 0.99 Euro :) (and no reserve)

maybe they just do it to tease ? , maybe they really dont have a clue? , maybe its broken ?...many questions and no answers.

i use autions if i want the stuff , other times i big cauze i am intrested only if its the right price atm, sometimes its kinda funny to just sit back and enjoy the show...seeing thoose bids fly :)

anyway amigastuff is sometimes hard to post on ebay , due to its 3 sections (ie you can put em in 3 diff..) make sure to atleast view it in the 2 best ones..

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2003, 05:23:48 PM »
By the way, I mentioned seeing an Amiga 4000 on ebay, well it hasn't finished yet actually, see:

I see that as well. One which was upgraded much more never made above the reserve it only had a bid of a 100 pound .

As for offers i dont like them and always try asking for what price they will sell the item, other than that i just offer a price which is way to low to get a price of what they want for the item . :-)

I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline DaveWC

• Show only replies by DaveWC
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 09:12:36 PM »

I'm actually one of the fools who bid on this item. Though I think it's just about reached my limit now.  :-)

Where the heck can you get an A4000 for a reasonable price in the UK anyways?

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 11:03:59 PM »
Lot's of good advice, thanx guys !
 :-)

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2003, 09:45:45 PM »
Keep it simple, they no send the moneys, you no send the item! :-D
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2003, 11:32:24 PM »
Now this is interesting...

Ebay search results when done at www.ebay.co.uk:

68 items found for Amiga 1200
Located In: United Kingdom

And Ebay search results when done at www.ebay.com:

55 items found for Amiga 1200

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Guess I never realized, here in the states, that there was a difference.  ?????  I'd assume that the ebay.com address would pull up all auctions, regardless of location.  But now, the more I look into it, I see Amiga's for sale in countries where the entire listing is in other languages.

Hummm...
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline DoomMaster

• Show only replies by DoomMaster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2003, 04:51:29 AM »
To tintin:

When you sell your Amiga 4000 on eBay, make sure that you have a very good picture of it.  The better the picture the more money you will usually make.  Also, pay the extra .25 cents to place your auction in the Gallery.  Most people only look in the Gallery.  Make sure that you have a well written item description.  When you put up your auction on eBay, wait till Thursday and set it up as a 10-day auction, this way the auction will be up for 2 whole weekends.  Most bidding is done on weekends.  Do not set a reserve price in your auction.  Most bidders hate reserve auctions and will not bid.  Set your starting bid amount at $9.95, if your Amiga 4000 is in like new condition or is in really good shape,  the high-bid amount will quickly increase.  Keep in mind that professional bidders, like myself, will not bid on an item until the last 5 minutes of the auction.  Most of the bidding takes place during the last hour of an auction.  If your Amiga 4000 has extra cards in it, remove them and sell them separately.  Sell the software separately too, especially Workbench 2.04 to 3.9.  Joysticks also sell very well because they are now hard to get.  You should try using the Buy It Now option.  Give bidders an incentive to buy your Amiga 4000 by stating in your auction: If you use the Buy It Now option, I will include Workbench 3.9 and a SCSI CD-RW drive for FREE!  The Buy It Now option only costs you an extra .05 cents.  This advice that I have given you WORKS, afterall, I am a Power Seller on eBay and have many active eBay accounts.  I hope that I have helped you, tintin.  email me and let me know how things turned out.     :-D
[color=FF0033]1 Amiga 2500 / 040, 2 Amiga 2000HDs, Atari Mega4 ST, Pentium 4 PC, Macintosh SE[/color]

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2003, 01:11:11 PM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike

I know it’s a shame they don’t just list everything.  The only way to make sure you see everything available is to go to refine search and check Items available to ...(your country)
For people like me living in Belgium it’s quite hard, who will ever think of having a look at the Belgian e-bay site ?  I’m trying to point people towards my sales by mentioning it on the forums.
Right now I have a few items on there.  Have a look at :

my stuff at e-bay

One thing to beware of though when searching European sites, not everything is compatible with American equipment.  I don’t think you would have use for e.g. a PAL standard direct to disc recording device like the DPS PAR I’m selling.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2003, 06:03:17 PM »
@DoomMaster
Thanx for the advice.  Some of the things you mentioned didn't quite work for me, the "buy now" option was not available, I don't have enough points or something.  I also didn't go for the extreme low prices like 9,95.   I just put the amount I want, whatever people bid more is up to them (and good for me ;-) ).
The gallery, right now, is free here so I definitely used that.  So far everything is going well, a few items already got a bidder, now all I need is a bid on the remaining items...
Any takers ?  :-)  
my stuff on e-bay