Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Argh, A1200 blank screen on startup  (Read 1794 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Argh, A1200 blank screen on startup
« on: August 21, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Yesterday I got my A1200 / 040 out of storage.  It was working, mostly (quite a few games wouldn't work on it).  As I just plan to just use it for games, I figured that I didn't need the accelerator card or extra RAM, so I removed it.  Now the machine won't boot (blank screen on startup, won't get anywhere further.  I'm going to try the early startup menu but even without the hard disk in, it won't show the kickstart screen.

Any ideas?

I'm wondering about trying to put the accelerator card back in.

- edit -

I've tried putting the accelerator card back in, hard disk plugged or not, no difference.

No startup menu when holding down both mouse buttons.

It responds to Ctrl + Amiga + Amiga though (but isn't that hard-wired to do that?).

The screen changes grey slightly once or twice before settling on a black / dark grey screen.  Power light stays on the whole time.

One thing I did notice was that the first time I booted it after removing the card, the hard disk light came on faintly.

I can't believe I've done this, though I didn't do anything particularly stupid (IMO) when I was inside the case.  It's a standard, classic A1200 chassis.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:39:38 PM by mikeymike »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Argh, A1200 blank screen on startup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
You do have to wait a very long time for boot up on an A1200....

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
Yes, I just noticed that... It took ACTUALLY 30 seconds to get to the kickstart / please insert disk screen, however when it had a hard disk in, it was booting off it within a second of power on, but now it won't boot off the disk (it just remains on the grey screen).  I've just stuck in a floppy and it booted off of it.

I know for a fact that it didn't take long to start booting off a floppy, it definitely wasn't 30 seconds before!

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »
Ok, I'm a moron.  I plugged the IDE drive in the wrong way round (at the hard disk's end).

Time for some more testing I think...

- edit -

Early startup menu is working fine, and the computer checks the floppy drive almost immediately after power-on, so I think that will immediately boot off of an inserted floppy.

I'm feeling a bit chicken about removing the accelerator card now that I've caused so much personal fretting and wasting of time :)

Why didn't the early startup menu show before when I wanted to?  I tried being 30-seconds-patient for it when no hard disk was connected...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:14:30 PM by mikeymike »