Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000 PSU failing?  (Read 1100 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaPixelTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaPixel
Amiga 2000 PSU failing?
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
Hi all,

It has been too long since I have been on the Amiga.org site! Shame on me! Actually I have been sneaking a peak here there lately. No matter how busy I get I eventually come back to the Amiga, there is just something about it I will never let go. It truly was the most fun computer I had the privilege to use and play with.

Anyway my bringing back to life my A2000 (My only remaining Amiga left) is the project I look forward to pursuing.

I pretty sure the power supply is failing even though do not have multi-meter to test it with. Over a year ago I turned it on and it only partially booted up. I unplugged the power cable to CD Writer and tried again, that time it booted up fully
Well in recent months even with the CD writer power disconnected it once again boots about halfway and then hangs. I opened case up and noticed a Molex Y adapter with one male to two female connectors between the PSU and SCSI drive. I removed it and plugged the PSU directly into the drive and tried booting it up again and surprisingly it completed the boot. It did it twice. I plan replacing the power supply with an ATX PSU and Amiga 2000 to ATX adapter cable anyway because I sure it needs it.

I would like to buy an Indivision ECS, all my Amiga monitors died a few years back. In regards the Indivision, I am concerned as to wether it will fit underneath My Derringer Platinum 030 board, which sits parallel to the mainboard, you can see in the photo the board almost covers the Denise chip. The Indivision ECS may push up the corner of the 030 board some what. I  guess as long as it is does not too much and does not put stress on the 030 pins maybe it will be OK. The pins are the long round type that plug directly into the empty 68000 socket.
Does any one have a similar A2000 configuration with the Derringer Platinum and Indivision ECS? If so how well does it fit.

Thanks

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga 2000 PSU failing?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »
Good Day,

Replacing the 68K chip directly sounds like a good idea but, in use it restricts other upgrades as you can see. Keep an eye out for an expansion slot accelerator with some memory and a SCSI controller. This way you can still add a Mini Megachip and still have lots of room, after all you can still boot 68k for old games.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;754397
Good Day,

Replacing the 68K chip directly sounds like a good idea but, in use it restricts other upgrades as you can see. Keep an eye out for an expansion slot accelerator with some memory and a SCSI controller. This way you can still add a Mini Megachip and still have lots of room, after all you can still boot 68k for old games.

Chris

Yes it does restrict a lot in that area. The Derringer 030 has a socket on it for the 68000 chip so you can switch to it for games. I had on there for a while but for some reason I removed it, I don't remember why I removed it. Probably because I got rid of the Kickstart that had the 1.3 and 2.1 roms on it. Still have the 68k chip somewhere in storage. As far as looking for another accelerator I don't want to spend that kind money right now plus I really like the performance of The Derringer. I have Data flyer SCSI/IDE combination controller which served me well for years.
I think the Indivision ECS might work but I am not sure about the chip ram upgrade. I would say there is about 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) between the 030 and the motherboard. Hopefully a Minimeg or DKB Megachip will fit but if it does I hope there are no heat issues with the DKB Megachip or Minimeg.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 02:43:40 AM by AmigaPixel »

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
My A2000 is still in storage but I think my DKB minimeg is about a half an inch thick when mounted, maybe a hair less.

Chris

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Ah, I didn't realize from your previous thread you were talking about an A2000, not an A500.  You can raise the Derringer to fit things underneath it, but then you're going to run into space restrictions with the bottom of the drive sled.

So first, I'd start by ditching the Derringer and replacing it with a "normal" A2000-style accelerator.  Since the ones that fit in the processor socket are more rare, you'll probably to get enough $ from selling the Derringer to buy a normal accelerator, and have some left over.  ;)

Keeping the Derringer just for the extra ROM socket is pretty pointless, if you use WHDLoad to load your old games you won't need to keep a 1.3 ROM around and you'll have plenty of room for Indivision ECS, Megachip, etc.

Attached are some pics of how those components fit in an A2000.  Hope these help!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
Also if you suspect your PSU is failing, get yourself one of these:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=998
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;754468
Also if you suspect your PSU is failing, get yourself one of these:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=998

Yes I plan on getting one of the ATX adapters from AmigaKit and I have been looking at 300 or 350 watt Seasonic PSU for about 40$ US dollars at Newegg.
Well I will try just for fun to see if the Indivision ECS fits before decide to sell the Deringer. It looks like it will fit, Minimeg or Megachip is a whole different story. It appears to be almost a 1/2 inch between the Derringer and the MB.  Of course the FAT Agnus chip socket sticks up a few millimeters and then adding the chip upgrade board on top of that maybe stack up too close to the board.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;754457
My A2000 is still in storage but I think my DKB minimeg is about a half an inch thick when mounted, maybe a hair less.

Chris

Oh boy!! That is going to be a real interesting challenge too see if it works or not. Anyone want to buy a Derringer 030, Ha!J ust kidding, at least for now.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 05:33:43 AM »
Quote from: AmigaPixel;754486
Oh boy!! That is going to be a real interesting challenge too see if it works or not. Anyone want to buy a Derringer 030, Ha!J ust kidding, at least for now.

@AmigaPixel -

I wanted to send you one more picture that illustrates what I don't think I explained very clearly before.  Between the top of the Indivision, and the Top of the Megachip, and the bottom of the drive sled, there's only about 1/4 of an inch of clearance.  Unless you somehow modify your drive sled... even if you do manage to cram those upgrades in there with the Derringer, and *don't* short it out on the bottom of the drive sled, everything's going to be so crammed in there that you'd have almost zero airflow.

I'm not saying don't do it, heck, Amiga is all about trying new, crazy, hardware hacks.  I love 'em.  But I think you risk damaging something by trying to cram the Derringer into so narrow a space.

See attached pic.

Either way, good luck!!!  :D

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
@Oldsmobile_Mike

That is one clean amiga you have there. I can tell you take good care of her :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;754821
That is one clean amiga you have there. I can tell you take good care of her :)

Thanks! :D  :pint: