Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I have the A3000 system. What software to try on it ? besides games ?  (Read 1895 times)

Description:

Offline darksun9210

personally, i think the A3000 was one of the last Amigas that received true attention from the development team as a "pro" machine, and a step towards a true next gen amiga at the time.
and i think that shows in the aesthetics too, instead of a re-purposed PC case.
true 32bit architecture from the ground up. scan doubler built in. fast sram. scsi onboard. yadda yadda yadda you know the drill.

mines fitted out pretty much as good as you'd want.
Cyberstorm3 cpu card, indivisionECS video adapter, X-Surf100 Ethernet card, Rapid Road USB, Cybervision64/3D, ZorRam256, acard scsi2IDE + CF card adapter, 2+16meg zipram on the mainboard.

though i've yet to do the int2 mod to enable the cyberstorm scsi, and i've a jerry rigged 5volt feed for the keyboard port - mines seen some tough times in her life. (pre my ownership of course ;D ) but i almost prefer the dents and scrapes and dead onboard scandoubler. shows the old war horse has seen some life.

first thing i'd say hardware wise is get your ram maxed out on the mainboard so you're not left hanging in that regard.
as soon as you start doing anything a bit more serious like running an IP stack, USB stack, etc as well as any software, it's going to impact. a megabyte here, and a megabyte there soon adds up in amigaland.

i had some good fun with Real3D - the early versions were pretty easy to pick up and play with, imagine3D was a bit more complex interface wise but still workable, and vista for 3D landscapes was good too. your 030 machine is going to be much nicer to work and play on than any 020 or 000 based amiga. but as soon as your machine takes a breath with any faster cpu, you're not going to want to go back!  :D

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.