Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The little things are pretty amazing about Linux.  (Read 2893 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: The little things are pretty amazing about Linux.
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 27, 2005, 06:24:54 AM »
I like Windows' console subsystem, but I would like to see built-in support for backquotes. 'Cause this:

set hostname=`hostname`

is easier than this:

for /f %i in ('hostname') do @set hostname=%i

Obviously, hostname is a bad example, but it was simple. Hmmm. [browsing platform SDK] Looks like attaching to a console and preprocessing its input buffer is pretty simple. Time to play. . . .

Apart from [legally] recompiling the kernel, there's not much you can do in Linux that you can't do in Windows. So really, it all boils down to how much of your skill set matches up with the operating system's out-of-the-box features.

Trev

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2005, 06:35:02 AM »
@Waccoon

It wouldn't be hard to implement your command prompt status bar idea. Of course, you always have the option of making cmd.exe your shell instead of explorer.exe.

But I'm not sure what you mean by native. Since you mentioned Cygwin, I'm guessing you're looking for an Explorer extension that provides a Bourne-style command-prompt in all status bars or in a toolbar attached to the taskbar.

Actually, a transparent, pop-up command-prompt attached to the taskbar would be kind of cool.

Trev

Offline MiAmigo

• Arbiter of Succession
    • Show only replies by MiAmigo
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2005, 06:48:48 AM »

redrumloa wrote:
As I slowly RTFM learning command line, I am amazed by how much can be accomplished by the basic command line (BASH etc).

Starting with 5 VOB files, I decided I wanted one. No easy way to do this in Wintendo, but I happened to think of cat on Linux.

cat zombie* > zombie.vob

~3 minutes later I had the 5 combined into one big file.

Nothing major, I just thought it was neat;-)

I'm currently running three flavors of Linux: RedHat 9, Suse 9.1, and Mandrake 10.01. I also have a few versions lying around that boot solely off of CDs, or DVDs. Linux reminds me of the command line driven interface of the old DOS versions, "B.W." (Before Windows), and that is where it gets its real power. The GUI, however, is quirky, and consistent in 'weird' ways. For instance, the password handling applet crashes in almost ever flavor of Linux I've ever tried. Why is that?

Offline legion

• Show only replies by legion
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2005, 07:54:40 AM »
@miAmigo

Have you tried XFCE?
Have you hugged your KennyR or Paul Gadd today?