Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Status report on AmigaOS 4.2 development  (Read 12349 times)

Description:

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
Re: Status report on AmigaOS 4.2 development
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;731017
how do you want to support them to give us a better price/performance ratio? with money?

well if you really wanted a system capable of running AOS4.x, you ciuld always support a-cube by actually buying a SAM system.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
Quote from: yssing;731012
What is it that windows can do, that you miss in AOS4.x? I use both on my office, and I don't miss anything in AOS4.x, but the SAM does boot into workbench in less than half the time, that my office PC uses to boot into windows.
And on top of that AOS4.x is alot more responsive than windows, not just by margins but by miles.
Well, I can't really speak for OS4 as I haven't used it (see above comments re: too damn expensive,) but do remember that your use case is not necessarily everybody else's. Personally the only thing that would keep me from using an alternative platform as a daily driver is my VSTs (and that may change in the future, as I've started to get into real hardware MIDI gear,) but lots of people are dependent on Windows or Mac-specific software for different things. I, for example, could probably get along fine with a native Amiga drawing program, but for someone who really needs a new version of Photoshop or Illustrator for their workflow wouldn't find it so easy.

Quote from: antikk;731016
I've seen a qoupe of sam's in sweden going for about 385usd. One ep and one flex. I don't think thats an unfair price.
My point isn't so much that the price is unfair (that's a thorny discussion that I have no intention of starting up,) but that for a lot of us there's only so much we're willing to drop on a hobby system. The only SAM boards currently in stock at Acube are $750-870, and that's for just the board and OS4. That's simply much more than I want to spend for something I'd just be playing around with, especially when I could drop a couple hundred bucks on a MorphOS license for one of the G4 Macs I got for $10 at the recycle center and have a complete working system instead.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;730972

Difference is, MorphOS makes or breaks it on their own - MorphOS isn't masquerading as "Amiga" to try to make it appear to be something it's not.

Personally, I only consider Amiga compatibilty a plus.
I actually run mostly native software.
And I like the 30 second boot times.
I could take a nap during the time it takes my X86 hardware to boot.

Plus, unlike some of you, if I've got a word processor and a web browser I'm pretty much good to go.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Borut

• Show only replies by Borut
    • http://www.crt-software.com
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
Real Amigans don´t piss on OS4, MorphOS, AROS, UAE - yes and they even don´t piss on OS 1.0 - 3.9 and for gods sake even not vice versa. Don´t forget - we R family!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
Lots of families feature heavy infighting and mutual loathing :P
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
BTW - IF they can manage to introduce these features, OS 4.2 should be pretty formidable. Better OpenGL support would be nice too.

I'm still in the blue camp, but SMP, Radeon HD graphics, etc?
Pretty nice.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;731021

Shoddy x86 hardware.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 01:18:02 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;731021
And I like the 30 second boot times.

Seriously? My "X86" is from 2007 and boots into a fully bloated gnome/nautilus desktop in 30 seconds or less* from a regular (mechanical) drive.

*not including the 10 second grub menu time-out.
int p; // A

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »
Quote from: yssing;731019
well if you really wanted a system capable of running AOS4.x, you ciuld always support a-cube by actually buying a SAM system.

can buying it second hand qualify as "support"? will that have an influence on their price/performance, what do you think?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;731046
Seriously? My "X86" is from 2007 and boots into a fully bloated gnome/nautilus desktop in 30 seconds or less* from a regular (mechanical) drive.

*not including the 10 second grub menu time-out.

Well, I sold off the parts from my Phenom II X4 system, so the hardware I'm using IS dated.

But I also like being able to shut my system off when I want to (rather then having to allow the OS to do it).

And, once I upgrade my drive to the Western Digital Raptor I have sitting on my dresser I expect even better performance (although MorphOS already works pretty good with the one  system I'm giving away that has a U320 drive in it).

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;731056
Well, I sold off the parts from my Phenom II X4 system, so the hardware I'm using IS dated.

But I also like being able to shut my system off when I want to (rather then having to allow the OS to do it).

And, once I upgrade my drive to the Western Digital Raptor I have sitting on my dresser I expect even better performance (although MorphOS already works pretty good with the one  system I'm giving away that has a U320 drive in it).

Personally for just 300 bucks I have obtained a full blown super duper monster beast you name it AMD+ motherboard with a CPU black edition. It is an 8 core processor running at 3.50 Ghz each and the motherboard support 32 GB of RAM, 64 bit processor at that, with SUPER COOL FEATURES build into it include a GUI sweet BIOS system and security, flashing, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s slot, PCI express, blah blah blah blah blah and even control your fan speed through your motherboard...I mean this is a monster for just 300 bucks.

Can anyone say  you can achieve all that in a PPC AmigaOS 4 for that cheap price? SO wouldn't AmigaOS 4.x have being better off in an x86 platform? All these resources, money could have spend on improving AmigaOS 4.x with better drivers to support different motherboard platforms and perhaps it can be a Linux alternative with huge software library. But being stuck in a 6k dollar PPC hardware I doubt it will go anywhere.

Offline Frags

• Show only replies by Frags
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 04:05:21 AM »
My windows machine boots much faster and is much more responsive in use than my Powerbook with MOS.  It runs better software and is superior in every way except one - it doesn`t remind me of being a kid nor give me a warm glow in my belly.

It`s like drugs really - there`s no logical explanation for using them, they just make you feel nice x
-insert clever profundity here-

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 04:09:09 AM »
Quote from: Frags;731063
My windows machine boots much faster and is much more responsive in use than my Powerbook with MOS.  It runs better software and is superior in every way except one - it doesn`t remind me of being a kid nor give me a warm glow in my belly.

It`s like drugs really - there`s no logical explanation for using them, they just make you feel nice x

That is why I spend 550 bucks for an Apollo 1260 @ 80 Mhz with 64 MB of RAM and I spend 200 bucks on an Amiga 1200 and 75 bucks on a HD.

Just for that feeling...no logical reason, no common sense, just for that....a feeling I am not finding in AmigaOS 4.x even through screenshot or PC.

Offline Frags

• Show only replies by Frags
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 04:15:31 AM »
Precisely, bang on.
-insert clever profundity here-

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 05:53:53 AM »
Development cost of roughly 100K euro per year since 2001 i.e. 12 years and running, expensive lawsuits (500K litigation cost).

Sorry but the shareholders are going to sit this one out and you can be glad that they do because they are the ones funding AmigaOS 4.x development for over a decade without any financial return.

I don't understand how SOMEONE is not making any money considering the high cost of the hardware. I can't imagine anyone dumping 100,000 euro x12 years + 500k euro into a losing business. Makes no sense, but then welcome to amiga.

I wonder how much more money MORPHOS made than them then?

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 03, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;731049
can buying it second hand qualify as "support"? will that have an influence on their price/performance, what do you think?

Ofcourse it can, if the sellers intends to buy a newer system.