Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A cautionary warning note for anti Amiga, AROS & MorphOS trolls  (Read 14380 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellsl

Quote from: Karlos;586531
Personally, I figure most of us have been around long enough to know the difference between trolling and heated but otherwise reasonable debate.

Or at least I'd like to think so.

No, we're obviously not intelligent enough for that and we need a forum moderator to censor what is said here so as to protect us from all the sticks and stones!

Offline ferrellsl

Re: A cautionary warning note for anti Amiga, AROS & MorphOS trolls
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:06:35 AM »
Piru is right.  Censorship defeats the purpose of even having a forum. How can anyone here now expect to speak freely or have a different point of view if you're standing there threatening to ban them if you don't agree with what they have to say?  The posting guidelines are pretty clear so I'm a bit disturbed by your post as well.  At best, it seems threatening.  Not the kind of place where I want to share ideas or debate.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18:54 AM »
Quote from: Transition;586585
Your reading too much into it. Trolling is different then expressing your ideas. It's only intent is to damage and hurt others.

Then maybe you should take a stab at defining "trolling" and adding that definition to the posting guidelines?!!!!

I've seen several people on here with points of view that weren't popular and they were accused of trolling, even though they hadn't made ANY personal attacks or said anything vulgar or indecent.  You initial post in this thread actually sounds like you're ready to ban anyone who says anything that you deem to be anti-Amiga, anti-MOS, or anti-AROS.

So what will constitute trolling?  Will advocating an x86 processor over PPC be viewed as trolling?  What about people who prefer AROS over OS4?  Will they be accused of trolling?  What about people who prefer emulation instead of using classic hardware?.........After reading your initial post you have more people than me wondering about it.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:52:52 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;586594
@ Transition

thank you!..this has been long overdue

@ those who pretend not to know what a troll is

if a thread is about OS A and you repeatedly come into saying that it's crap etc. and that OS B is better blah blah blah then Transition wrote that note for you..very simple:afro:

Oh, so having a different opinion is grounds for being banned?  And Transition has appointed you as his spokesman?

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;586607
This is what I think the difference is between trolling and expressing an opinion:

Original-Poster: This is a new Amiga related project I am working on. It has feature X and it can also do feature Y.

Positive-person: Great work! I'm glad you have taken the time to start this project which is something that various Amiga users may find a use for and enjoy!

Not-a-troll: Looks okay, can you add feature Z as well?

Another-non-troll: Have you considered compiling it for my Amiga-like OS of choice? I would use it if you do. Keep up the good work!

Troll: I have no use for this (because I don't use an Amiga-like system at all), so why are you bothering to make it?

Another-Troll: Pfft, I can do that on my iPhone.

Troll-Feeder: Where can I download the iPhone version from?

The trolls are pretty consistent, they will continue to post cheeky or cruel remarks at any chance they get. They prefer to start a fight and back out of it while others join in and continue it, or take a stab when they feel there's no chance of retaliation. I have no problem with cowards like this being removed from the forum.

I'm sure the moderators don't regard passionate, opinionated Amiga users who like to debate about their favorite platform as trolls. I think a lot of people are getting upset about something that's not going to affect them in any negative way, and in fact it could be just what we need to get more Amiga-related discussion happening on this site. I know for a fact, from chatting to hundreds of Amiga users around the world on IRC, MSN and through forum private messages, that there are many people who would post a lot more often about Amiga-related projects and ideas if they weren't afraid of having their thread derailed by someone whose only intent is to crush their spirit and stop them from wanting to go any further with their idea.

Well, then why can't you be an adult and just ignore the trolls instead of coming up with ambiguous reasons to just ban people?  Are the people on this forum really so immature and intellectually feeble as to need a censor to remove comments that they might not like?  Wait, don't answer that question.  I'm beginning to see a trend here.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Quote from: Argo;586795
How ironic!

He's just bluffing!  A censor would never censor himself!  That would be an admission of some sort!  LOL