Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building A Website  (Read 18140 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Building A Website
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;694780
That's a fair point from a "how to approach a new design" perspective, but I still don't quite get the horror with which tables in existing sites are reacted to...

That's perhaps because you aren't visually impaired. Proper site design, in which the logical structure of the document comes first and layout is achieved purely via CSS produces pages that are far more accessible to Braille output devices and other non-visual browsers.

I've made use of tables for layout in the past for personal projects, but never for any sort of public facing site, except when rendering data which are by their very nature, tabular.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;694814
Really? I'd have thought that tables, properly applied, would if anything be an aid to specialty readers...

Historically, the complete opposite tends to be the case, though newer screen readers have gotten rather better at parsing badly-formatted stuff. Regardless of which, a clean, well structured HTML document is always going to be far more accessible than a soup of nested tables.

Other reasons for avoiding table based layouts, especially nested tables, are the impact they have on page render speed. More often than not, they tend to require repeated recalculation of the page or complete retrieval of the page markup before the page can be laid out.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:43 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;694505
Good point. Maybe you should consult with Karlos. I think he did a version of this website designed to be used by classic miggies.

Well, I'm more of a web application developer and server-side / backend at that. The "site" you are referring to is a proxy application that simply sits between your oldschool amiga browser and this site. There's very little HTML involved, 99% of what it does is regular expression text processing...

Anyway, to reiterate, a text editor and some basic grasp of HTML is all you need to get started making web pages.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »
Quote from: jsixis;694860
BS I run a website and after the index page it is all tables and loads faster then most video cards can draw it. http://www.cowtownmusic.com/musicians.html

The only reason your page is fast is because you are using tables for what they were intended - displaying tabular data. There's not much "tables for layout" evident in your HTML markup.

Speaking of which, you might want to tidy that up a bit, it's pretty bad.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cowtownmusic.com%2Fmusicians.html
int p; // A