Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking issues  (Read 12194 times)

Description:

Offline nineocTopic starter

• Show only replies by nineoc
Networking issues
« on: December 28, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Hello:

Having networking issues between A2000HD, with Wildfire 060, running version 3.5 of the Amiga OS, Older Imac running version 10.11.6 of the Apple OS, and an older generic PC running Windows XP. Network was set up many years ago by experienced Amiga tech, as I am not very tech savvy.

System worked well until our move of 5 years ago. Attempting to look at it now, the Imac shows the Amiga in the network list, but cannot connect to it.

It does not show the PC, and the PC does not show either the Imac or the Amiga.

Win UAE is also installed on the PC, and Explorer is installed on both the Amiga and the PC.

Am attempting to transfer files from the Amiga to the Emulator as a backup in case the Amiga fails.

As stated, I am not very tech savvy, so would appreciate any input as to how to get the systems functional again, if possible.

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Networking issues
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »
My guess is the most modern macOs is looking to connect to the other computers based on modern security protocols and this must fail as you probably never upgraded the Winxp machine or the Amiga since years ago. The macOs has certainly updated everything required.
If you didn't change the physical components of the network (new router? different cabling?) only the software side remains.

You might be able to downgrade the Macs firewall etc to allow legacy networking.
If you got a new router then there might be network settings as well you need to take care off.

Another option is to try and add a simple NAS to your network with open unrestricted access just for sharing files.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:37:37 PM by TribbleSmasher »

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 09:07:35 PM »
Thanks for the input. You have raised some good points, eg: there is a new router in the system, so that may play a part in this. In regards to your mention of an NAS, would you care to explain what that is?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
It is a Network Attached Storage. In the most easy case some routers allow e.g. an USB flash drive plugged in  working as said storage. They need some configuration in the routers setup, which way they are secured and accessible and what not.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »
Thank you. Will do some local research into this. :)

Offline matt3k

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 01:35:39 AM »
NAS's generally use some flavor of unix and are easy to use SMBFS to attach to it.

They are really cheap also.  I bought a qnap 10 years ago and it still works great.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 08:30:56 AM »
@nineoc - it sounds like a fun setup

For the Amiga what Network software are you using, Miami, Roadshow etc? (OS 3.5 has one built in too). Unlike MacOS and Windows you usually have to start it manually.

Something else to look at (if you are connecting to the network) is the IP address of your Amiga: Amiga Explorer on Windows has to have a fixed IP address to talk to the Amiga over TCP/IP. Maybe moving and having a different network means your Amiga is getting a different IP address. Are you able to see what IP address your Amiga is getting (maybe you can log into the router to find this out) and then right-click the Amiga Explorer icon in Windows to see if they match.

Finally (for now) you have to run the Amiga Explorer client on the Amiga to allow Windows to connect to it, so make sure that's running too.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
Thanks for your interest.

It is a fun setup when it works. Have not networked with it in some time. Not sure about the Network software, thought it was Miami, but have not been able to find it yet. Have a second A2000HD that has been down that is now functional, it may be on there. As for the ip addresses, I have found them for the router, the PC and the Mac, but so far not the Amiga. As for Explorer, I have it running on both the PC and the Amiga. The Amiga is able to acess the internet.

To be continued... ::)

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
So, found the ip address for the amiga, thank you. BUT...when I attempt to right click on the Explorer icon to compare, nothing happens. Back to the drawing board.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »
It's great to know that you are able to get online with the Amiga - that will help troubleshooting.

Strange about Amiga Explorer. I get a menu up if I right-click it and I see this in Properties. Does right-click work for other icons in Windows?
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 07:51:32 PM »
My apologies, I thought you meant Explorer on the Amiga. It works on the PC, and the IP address conforms. ::)

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
Miami is installed on the machine.

When double clicking on the icon, which is not on the workbench screen, a popup says:
The assign 'miami' does not exist on your system, indicating that miami was not installed properly. Please install miami before using it, and make sure that the assign 'Miami:' points to your Miami installation directory.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 12:06:17 AM »
Info update:

When attempting to 'ping' the Amiga and Mac from the PC, Mac is successful, Amiga is not.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »
I wonder if it's using something other than Miami as the TCP/IP stack if Miami gives an error when it's run but you can get onto the Internet (I'm assuming you mean you can get onto web sites or similar).

Have a look in the WBStartup drawer to see which programmes run when you boot up or look at your startup-sequence and user-startup files (in the S Drawer) to se if you can identify what programmes run.

Does your Router have an option to Ping devices through one of the admin pages? If so can you ping the Amiga from there?

From the PC you could also try tracert in a Command Prompt. Format is `tracert <IP address of Amiga>` e.g. tracert 192.168.0.123. This will show how Windows is navigating across the network to try and access the Amiga.

I don't know how knowledgable you are about Amigas & IT in general so apologies if anything above is too simple or complex.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 04:45:07 PM »
 I am not very knowledgeable about IT in general, in particular the terminology, so this is very helpful, thank you. Will see how I can navigate through your instructions.