Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga XP x86 guide  (Read 9437 times)

Description:

Offline lelezetecTopic starter

• Show only replies by lelezetec
    • http://enigmaamigarun.blogspot.com
The Amiga XP x86 guide
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »
Hello my friends!

I made that small guide for all Amiga users around the world.

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XSUD2RLE
Amiga 2400 x86 owner

Amiga is in my heart and in my mind...

Offline Atariflops

• Show only replies by Atariflops
Re: The Amiga XP x86 guide
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Great stuff! Will try this on a spare slimline PC when I get the time! Thanks!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »
That is a poor site to upload your file to.  Who wants to waste their time waiting for the file to be able to download it and look at all that advertising.  Couldn't you just upload it to a real Amiga website instead?

Edit:  That is a really excellent guide!  Thanks for taking the time to write it all out so that anyone can follow the simple instructions.  I will have to give it a try on one of my PC's and get back to you on how well it worked out.  I think I will use a separate hard drive just for the Amiga installation w/ minimum WinXP Pro underneath of it, and then just use the BIOS to choose which hard drive to boot from.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:13:50 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
We are willing to host it for free with no Ads. Download would be fast from our site too.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:49:25 AM »
This is a great guide, and I will be using this for an emulated pc project.

See my other thread, I all but gave up on the kxlight installation of amiga forever, which is a shame because it seemed to work nicely. I just didn't want to be stuck at 800x600.

I tried a faster pc, an amd1400mhz with 512megs ram, with windows xp installed as the host. Video works up to 1600x1200, but the video updating seems slow. This may be because I'm using the built in video
card. I will be purchasing an accellerated pci video card and hopefully,
the speed of the system will be much improved.

How did you get the commodore symbol and the amiga logo on that case?

Steven

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 03:00:43 AM »
Quote from: lelezetec;524068
Hello my friends!

I made that small guide for all Amiga users around the world.

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XSUD2RLE

Thanks Lelezetec, the download was painless and the guide was an excellent read.  I will muster up some old hardware and put this guide to the test.

Thanks,
The Dawg
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »
First of: thank you guy for your support!

Second, I saw that on some machines my procedure to eliminate windows combos ALT-TAB, CTRL-ALT-DEL and F12, won't work so i suggest you to use a little software freeware called mapkeyboard to eliminate the ALT and ALTGR keys and the F12 key. So since I can't remember the last time I used ALT on Amiga I think is not a great loss. In that way you can ssing the ALT function to F11 and F12 so if you mnemonically hit ALT, nothing will happen :)

@ Steven: to make the C= on my Amiga 2400 I used the stiencil technique by first painting the part in blue, then I applied the C and the upper part of "=" and painted it in red. Once everything was dry I applied the lower part of the "=" and then painted in white. Once the white paint dried I removed the C= and this is the result. :)
Amiga 2400 x86 owner

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
Sforzo superbo. Well done!  Your Amiga XP PC looks fantastic too. The Chicken lives...!
Gertsy.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:48:23 PM by gertsy »

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »
You don't happen to have a .jpg file or something for the stencil?
I was hoping you made the template on a pc.

I guess I could make my own, but figured I'd ask. I really like that, and can put it on each side of the case, since its tower case. Can you tell more details about your system, like the video card your using?

How well does it play most software? Games?

I played with this amd1400 and the setup you described, though I didn't get rid of the windows shell just yet. The video seems to be very slow updating, like if you open the system folder, takes what seems like too long (compared to my main windows pc)

My main windows pc has a good accelerated video card with gpu and winuae/os3.9 runs just great on that.

I'm wondering, is that what I need for this amiga x86 machine so
it has faster video? Any opinions on this guys, would be greatly appreciated.

I also considered that an amd1400 may just not have enough horsepower.

I tried loading wbasteroids and its so slow, its unplayable really, that pretty much tells me most things I'd like to use would run like crap.
I'm really hoping its just the video card.

Any ideas how to improve the speed of this? I'm very excited by this dedicated emulation pc, and I'd even buy myself a catweasel pci if I could get the rest of it working.

Ahhh, dumping all the old amiga floppies I have to hard drive would be great! It would be even greater if I could use some of that stuff again.

I wanted to buy a pimped out a1200 tower system, but I just can't afford
paying that much, this would be great if I could get it going.

Thanks for your guide, I'm halfway there now, I really hope I can get this
working.

Steven

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Hello everyone again. Let's talk about my Amiga 2400 configuration.
This summer I decided to get the rid of my Athlon 64 x2 4200+ and give it to my father since I didn't use my computer to play anymore. So I made a small computer by myself using an Intel Little Falls 2 motherboard with everything embedded, 160Gb SATA 2.5" 5400rpm Hard Disk and a Wireless Netgear USB Board. I used that computer just to run MSN Messenger and browsing some sites since when I want to play I use my Xbox360. But I felt alone again because I missed my good old 2D/3D software. Imagine, Lightwave, Image FX, Scala MM 400... all things that made my Amiga 1200 great. I missed them so much so, since I work as Microsoft System Administrator and I understand very little about Linux, I tried to make my own version of AmigaOS on x86 by ripping off Windows.
I tried with virtual machines and when it was ready, I erased my windows installation in place of the ripped off version for AmigaOS.
Then I must say that I'm pretty satisfied. For a short period of time I owned an Amiga 4000/040 with Powerchanger and 68040 28MHz, Retina 24, Flicker fixer et all but man...my Amiga 2400 is a totally different thing! It's fast, it can run all the softwares I used to run at a totally different level. I can send by mail to the one that are interested my benchmarks with AIBB so you can see how fast it is! Right about now, I had no problems in running games or applications and I even made heavy rendering with Imagine v5. No problems at all. The Workbench is running on 1680 x 1050 and I still have plenty of RAM (512Mb) to run lot of applications at the same time.
The only bad side? Hard Disk speed during booting. Maybe it's because it's a 5400rpm hard disk but it took about 40 seconds from turning on the machine to having an usable Workbench, I will put the video on youtube as soon as possible. However I tried the same configuration over a more powerfull machine (Pentium D 3.0GHz) and it's definitely a warhead!
Maybe in the future I will upgrade to another, faster computer and I will of course, mod the case as well making, I don't know, the Amiga 4500... but right now, until NatAMI will be available for the masses I will continue using my Amiga 2400.
After 13 years without Amiga (I left it in May 1996) now I feel alive again.
Amiga 2400 x86 owner

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:15 AM »
You are not using an accellerated graphics card with gpu? I hoped that was all I needed, but I suppose not.

Man, must be that this athon 1400 is a celleron equivelant or something...
I gotta try this install on a 2ghz or faster real intel cpu, and see what happens. Very frustrating!

Steven

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
Great work thank you. Very nice customization too. I wonder how much a totally non working 2000 or 4000 would go for? Just to buy it for the casing.

Does anyone know if this guide will be valid on reactOS ? Could a special WinUae distro be made for just this purpose, with reactOS being open source and all. In theory?
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »
Thanks a lot for the hints and the nice guide.
Davvero un buon lavoro! :)
Italians are not so far behind! :D
Ciao!

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:28 PM »
@haywirepc: No I use the all embedded board. Maybe it's because the board you're using is aged and don't have some performance upgrade like mine one. However if you want to give it a try, the Intel Little Falls 2 is worth about $90. So you may think about it. There are new Mini-ITX boards that can be equipped with Core Duo processors. This will give a real big boost to the Amiga XP performances!

@Cicero: On the Amiga 2000 is possible and very easy to do. On the 4000 you have to use a mini-itx board like mine one but it's pretty more complicated.

@Ognix: Thanks my friend :)

Well guys what can I say to all of you? Thank you very much! I feel part of the community now.
Amiga 2400 x86 owner

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »
Just a quick note to say that my AMD1400 is running great after installing an agp accellerated graphics card. Its only a 32meg card but it made a HUGE difference.

I guess having the GPU is what matters alot. WBasteroids and everything else I tried ran great. So in building your emulation machine, the lesson is that you should care just as much about an accellerated video card as you do about the cpu.

Before the new video card, the machine seemed to crawl when loading any games.
Now it flies, so what do you know, 1400mhz is plenty fast as an emulated amiga.

Steven