Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: !@#% eBay or Why Piracy Makes Sense  (Read 4170 times)

Description:

Offline gdanko

• Show all replies
Re: !@#% eBay or Why Piracy Makes Sense
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:30:04 AM »
Maybe I will get flamed but here goes. While I have an A1200 with 030/40, 64mb RAM, and an 8 GB CF card sitting on my desk, I collect and do not feel ashamed for it. I work hard to find free or near free Amiga hardware so I think I've got the right to reap the fruits of my labor without guilt.

Offline gdanko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, eBay is not *the* place to find Amiga gear. I have acquired over 30 Amigas in two years. Not ONE has come from eBay. If you are resourceful enough, you will find Amigas and related hardware and pay 1/5 of what you would pay at an auction.

Offline gdanko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
For all that I have collected for free, I have tried to give back to the community as well. I gave good friend of mine a CyberStorm MkIII for his 3000T because he uses it on a pretty regular basis. I also gave a full loaded mint condition A2000 68040 to a friend of mine who used to work for Amiga, Inc... he got rid of everything out of anger when Gateway screwed Amiga over but saw my stuff and wanted to get back into the scene. You give a little and get a little. And do not fault those whose desire is to restore and collect.

Offline gdanko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:24:47 AM »

That's Amiga saint hood right there! Most Amigans would give their left arm for one. I just clocked mine up to 80 MHz tonight. The 68060 is a pretty nice processor after it gets up to speed.

Thank you. I feel that if someone shows me an act of kindness (give me free Amiga gear) then I should return that act of kindness to the community.

Unfortunately most people are out to make a profit. The love of money is the root of all evil, they say.. and I believe this to be true. Very few folks in the community are willing to share from their overflow. On the other hand there are a few who do and I find that most commendable. If we all practiced this sort of kindness we'd have a much more fulfilling community.