Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dnetc benchmarks  (Read 13675 times)

Description:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
Re: dnetc benchmarks
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
Is it possible to buy G4 processors new from anywhere these days?

Not talking about old mac's or whatever, but are there sources where factory new chips for a new computer design could be sourced, or is that a completely closed off option?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;679216
MOS and old Apple machines are better than AmigaOS 4 and any SAM/X1000.

Linux on my dual core is better than MOS and old Apple machines.

But that's not really the point, is it?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;679219
Freescale still sells 744x processors, e.g 7447A:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7447A&tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&nodeId=018rH38653&pspll=1&fromSearch=false

or 7448

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7448&tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&nodeId=018rH38653&pspll=1&fromSearch=false

Prices are high, but not completely nuts.

But G4 series rather shifted to the 86xx chip line - which unfortunately never made it into a GP computer..

So... would they have been an option for something like this?

Do we know what the cost difference is between that and the PA96 thingie?
In other words, would using those chips have saved cost significantly?

I guess what I am fishing for is.. how much of the computers cost is made up by the processor specifically?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;679224
You are right, bringing in Linux into a comparison of "Amiga" operating systems would be pointless. The point (and what this is about) is comparing "Amiga" options...

Throw amiWM on there and its as much amiga as anything else these days. Whether an app runs transparently or in emulation is not really relevant, since both are blazing fast nowadays anyways, and just about every 68K app has long since been surpassed by newer alternatives. (and in many cases, you have to. I love wordworth and final writer but they just aren't any competition to libreoffice if I actually need to interact with the rest of the world).

I have an amiga on my desk. It was made by Commodore in 1992. It has better compatibility, has wireless internet and didn't cost me a billion dollars.

All this bitching about the "NG" options might have made some sense in 1996. It was cute in 1999. In 2011, it's absurd.
We're arguing about whether it's better to pay huge sums of money for new hardware or scavenge ebay for old discarded apple computers?

And what's worse, we're seriously holding one of those options or the other up as a sound decision so we can deride the opposition?

Why would anyone that isn't bat**** insane ever invest here?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;679321

With this in perspective, a bit "amusing" to actually see someone enjoying the benefits of Kenya paying the price tag of 3-4 Core-i7 systems, for an Ethiopian "Meatballs Plus" dish, to be able to say "I am an Ethiopian(TM)".

Across the lake, in Bulgaria, people bought cheap computers for less than the price of a morph OS license, put AROS on them, and while it wasn't perfect, and while it had a long way to go....

.... it belonged to everyone, it could be freely shared, copied and distributed and could never be taken away from them.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;679573

I don't know the exact number but they went within a matter of hours and more have been requested so they are not up there with mighty apple and its dodgy ways of producing hardware yet. If I were takemehomegranma instead of running weird and unnecessary parallels between Operating Systems and people starving I'd check the way those apple ipads, imac and ipods are manufactured and the conditions those workers and children have to endure so people can have a shiny iphone.

Slavery is freedom!