Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Internet on a1200 using serial cable  (Read 2078 times)

Description:

Offline mrad

• Show all replies
Re: Internet on a1200 using serial cable
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »
Amiga Explorer is strictly a file transfer solution.  It is about as bonehead simple as it gets (with the floppy you can  boot the Amiga blind without a monitor and just operate from the PC side), but the Windows suckage does show through. You thought you could map to a drive letter and/or use a .bat script to automate your long, slow copy jobs?  Or expect large copy operations to operate unattended reliably?

Amiga Explorer won't forward internet packets, so it won't do what the original poster wanted.  I have used the Linux pppd command and Miami to do pretty much this exact thing, for pretty much the same reason: to have Jabberwocky up while ditzing around on my A1200-with-unviolated-wedgie-case.  I can't remember, though, how to set it up to forward packets (iptables something...) (It is also possible to use getty, if you want login control).

If you want to do go this way and need more help, email me at catmrad@usermail.there-is-no-cat.com.  I've been doing a bit of Amiga resussitation lately and have been meaning to hammer out the details of doing thses knds of things.  (If I can only get the Linux affs file system working...)

Offline mrad

• Show all replies
Re: Internet on a1200 using serial cable
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:39:06 AM »
Ok, these are the commands to have Linux route your DSL/whatever to your Amiga over the serial port.  I know it works because I am typing this on my A1200 connected in just this manner.

pppd noauth lock proxyarp 192.168.0.10:192.168.0.11 /dev/ttyS0 57600 persist &
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You have to be logged in as root or sudo it, of course.  The first command starts PPP...
192.168.0.10 is the Linux box address on the ppp interface (pick an unused address, not the same as the address on the ethernet interface)
192.168.0.11 is the Amiga's address
/dev/ttyS0 is the first serial port (use ttyS1 for COM2)
57600 is the baud rate
persist lets you "dial" back in after dropping the connection
The & makes pppd run in the background

The echo command writes a 1 in that super-special spot that turns packet forwarding on.  

The Amiga side just needs to connect without a dial script using the static address you gave it.

If you don't have Linux installed, you can burn a Knoppix CD and boot/run it right off the CD.