Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FS: 2x Commodore 2002, 2x Amiga 1084 monitors  (Read 4491 times)

Description:

Offline Damion

Re: Old Commodore/Amiga CRT monitors worth the trouble?
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
Quote from: partycentralpartygirl;701361
I almost want to figure out a way to hook up a 21" CRT monitor I have to my old consoles as the LCD's make me angry.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=XRGB_Wiki

Something I've noticed with the LCD's is that the pixels will distort and such during fast paced action. I suppose this is the unit stuttering and the LCD is showing the actual output as opposed to just bluring the pixels together like it would on a CRT. Though I am not 100% sure why this occurs.

Fast paced, low-res scrolling games are the _worst_ on LCDs, just the nature of LCD technology unfortunately. Could also be the way the monitor is processing the signal, combined with a large screen size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_time_%28technology%29#Display_technologies

On the Amiga, you can really see the difference with a pinball game. On a CRT it's smooth as silk, but the smearing is obvious even on "fast" LCD panels. I've always found the problem to be exaggerated when the monitor is displaying a non-native resolution (like a Genesis connected to your LCDTV).

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
Quote from: mpiva;701350
I'd be interested to know if they sell. My wife's really been hassling me to clear out some of my old computer stuff but I'd rather give it a good home, if possible, than throw it away. I have a few 1084s and 1942s packed away in my basement that I'd like to sell/give away (I just can't bring myself to throw away anything Amiga), but last time I tried to give away Amiga software manuals/programming books for cost of shipping only, most people weren't interested. Shipping on monitors will be a heck of a lot more than books and I don't want to go though all the hassle of packaging these monitors if nobody's willing to pay shipping from Canada.

Are you in the USA? If so use Craigslist to offer then for $25 or less and they will be GONE in to time.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »
Quote from: TjLaZer;701450
Are you in the USA? If so use Craigslist to offer then for $25 or less and they will be GONE in to time.

I don't use Craigslist, anymore, since it changed posting requirements.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
JUst put them out on the nature strip, or I think Americans call it the parkway, overnight and they'll be gone by morning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Mr_DBUG

• Show only replies by Mr_DBUG
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
One thing I wonder: I also have a 1084S that I use for one of my C64s - Ive just wondered as this monitor is getting old now ... should I have a fire extinguisher closeby ? How will this monitor fail .. If that happens ? With a bang or simply going out quietly ?

I also have a bunch of old PC CRTs that I cant bring myself to throw away .. Some of them has BNC, how do I make a cable for AMIGA to BNC ??

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 03:00:51 AM »
I wouldn't bother shipping them anywhere.
At $25, you should have no trouble finding local buyers.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 05:46:59 AM »
Quote from: persia;701461
JUst put them out on the nature strip, or I think Americans call it the parkway, overnight and they'll be gone by morning.

That's actually funny.  I don't know why, but I have left stuff out by the street and days go by without anyone touching it.  I literally have to put signs on things saying "please take me" before someone will grab anything.  Whereas at my friends' places, anything on the street is gone before day's end.

Offline nscaleworld

• Show only replies by nscaleworld
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 06:15:28 AM »
Classic Amiga games and software actually look better on a CRT monitor.

Because flat-panel monitors are lower quality then CRT monitors, you MUST set the resolution on a flat-panel monitor to 2 to 3 times that of a CRT monitor to get the same clear picture.  Since most Amiga software is designed for low res screens, they look terrible when viewed on a flat-panel monitor.

I did a test, to see for myself which was better CRT or FP monitors.  I set up two Amiga 2000 computers, one with a Viewsonic CRT monitor, and the other with a Viewsonic FP monitor.  The Amiga 2000 computer with the CRT monitor BLEW THE FRAKEN DOORS OFF of the Amiga 2000 computer with the FP monitor.  The CRT monitor had a much clearer picture, with bright, vibrant colors.  MagicWB looked great on the CRT monitor, but looked like crap on the FP monitor.  Games looked much better on the CRT monitor.  The only time that the FP monitor looked almost as good as the CRT monitor was when displaying Workbench 3.9 in 1024 by 768 resolution.  Because of this test, I will not use a FP monitor on a classic Amiga system, just on the new AmigaOne systems with Amiga OS 4.1.
Amiga 500 (like new in box) , Amiga 2000 (like new in box) , Amiga 2500 (like new in box) , Amiga 3000T (like new) , 2 - Amiga 500 Towers , AmigaOne with OS 4.1

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »
Quote from: nscaleworld;701485
Classic Amiga games and software actually look better on a CRT monitor.

Because flat-panel monitors are lower quality then CRT monitors, you MUST set the resolution on a flat-panel monitor to 2 to 3 times that of a CRT monitor to get the same clear picture.  Since most Amiga software is designed for low res screens, they look terrible when viewed on a flat-panel monitor.

I did a test, to see for myself which was better CRT or FP monitors.  I set up two Amiga 2000 computers, one with a Viewsonic CRT monitor, and the other with a Viewsonic FP monitor.  The Amiga 2000 computer with the CRT monitor BLEW THE FRAKEN DOORS OFF of the Amiga 2000 computer with the FP monitor.  The CRT monitor had a much clearer picture, with bright, vibrant colors.  MagicWB looked great on the CRT monitor, but looked like crap on the FP monitor.  Games looked much better on the CRT monitor.  The only time that the FP monitor looked almost as good as the CRT monitor was when displaying Workbench 3.9 in 1024 by 768 resolution.  Because of this test, I will not use a FP monitor on a classic Amiga system, just on the new AmigaOne systems with Amiga OS 4.1.

To a large degree I have kept hold of the CRT monitors for the quality aspect.  I still use a CRT TV because I can't stand the blocky-ness of DVDs and streaming media on LCD and the CRT has a natural tendency to smooth that out.  In past years I understood that your standard consumer LCD (monitors, mostly) provide good-enough color reproduction with lower bit-depths per pixel than what they're being fed, and the higher bit-depth were more expensive.  Though I believe that might be changing these days.

I know that AGA through my PIV SD/FF looks a lot better on a CRT VGA monitor than an LCD VGA monitor.  None the less, I simply cannot justify the space any more to store these monitors, and they take up valuable desk real estate.  I'm hoping that someone can put them to better use.

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
Quote from: TjLaZer;701450

Quote from: mpiva
if nobody's willing to pay shipping from Canada

No, Canada is NOT part of the USA.:smack:
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;701312
Commodore CRTs are still my favorite display for Amigas, even if they are small by modern standards. The picture quality is unbeatable.

+1

And it feels good to have an 'original' system too.  So long as my CRTs are working well, I'll continue to use them.

How can you even mention bringing such a monitor to the dump??
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:08:03 PM by orb85750 »

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;701502
+1

And it feels good to have an 'original' system too.  So long as my CRTs are working well, I'll continue to use them.

How can you even mention bringing such a monitor to the dump??

I understand.  Considering they've lived through about five moves each and sat unused in a closet for the past seven years, I just cannot justify the storage space required to maintain them nor the desk space required to use them if I did.  There's a likelihood that I'll take them up to Goodwill instead of the dump, but there's no guarantee what happens to them at that point.  I would rather put them in the hands of someone who has an active hobby but no one here has yet to make an offer for even just shipping and packaging.

Offline unclemat

• Show only replies by unclemat
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;701509
I understand.  Considering they've lived through about five moves each and sat unused in a closet for the past seven years, I just cannot justify the storage space required to maintain them nor the desk space required to use them if I did.  There's a likelihood that I'll take them up to Goodwill instead of the dump, but there's no guarantee what happens to them at that point.  I would rather put them in the hands of someone who has an active hobby but no one here has yet to make an offer for even just shipping and packaging.

Can you post pics of the monitors? 2002s and 1984s came in multiple variants.

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 02:37:58 AM »
Quote from: mpiva;701350
I'd be interested to know if they sell. My wife's really been hassling me to clear out some of my old computer stuff but I'd rather give it a good home, if possible, than throw it away. I have a few 1084s and 1942s packed away in my basement that I'd like to sell/give away (I just can't bring myself to throw away anything Amiga), but last time I tried to give away Amiga software manuals/programming books for cost of shipping only, most people weren't interested. Shipping on monitors will be a heck of a lot more than books and I don't want to go though all the hassle of packaging these monitors if nobody's willing to pay shipping from Canada.

I'd be curious to know how  much shipping costs within Canada, as I'm in Canada as well.

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #28 from previous page: December 04, 2012, 05:15:42 AM »
Quote from: Mr_DBUG;701469
I also have a 1084S that I use for one of my C64s - Ive just wondered as this monitor is getting old now ... should I have a fire extinguisher closeby ? How will this monitor fail .. If that happens ? With a bang or simply going out quietly ?

Usually the picture will fail due to bad solder joints.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Grou
http://videocam.net.au/fcug