Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Big missing classic feature on the new Amiga's?  (Read 6390 times)

Description:

Offline HammerD

Re: A Big missing classic feature on the new Amiga's?
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;546710
Not having to boot the OS to load programs, what I mean is on the classic Amiga you could use your Amiga without ever having to load up the OS/Workbench, games could boot straight up, even programs could self boot, all powered by the Kickstart. I think this is one of the reasons the Amiga had a edge over the PC in early days, no having to go into Dos or Windows to load a program, just slam the disk in and let it get on with it. I kind of liked this, because you could just use it like a game console, never having to touch the OS or complicated code to get a game or program running, why are these days gone,  I know this is not really an OS issue but more of a Bios and Uboot issue but do you think we will ever see this again on a computer?

plus why does everything has to be installed, ok I know its quicker and easier no disk required etc, But kind of liked the option of not filling my hard disk up and having to use it to perform every task, these Linux Live disks proves that you dont really have to have a hard drive for everything.
 So what do you lot think?

Well it is still possible today. The difference is kickstart is loading from hard disk instead of a ROM.  Once kickstart is in memory, if you had no OS partition set to boot, you would get the "insert disk" screen.  So at that point you could start to play your floppy-based game :)

I guess it's the fact that things have moved on.  Hard drives are standard now, games don't fit on floppies, run better off of hard disks than CDROMS, etc etc.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!