Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X-Surf 100, Mediator, 256 MB Radeon & AutoConfig Space  (Read 1191 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaverTopic starter

X-Surf 100, Mediator, 256 MB Radeon & AutoConfig Space
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:44 AM »
I am sure that those of you with the X-Surf 100 NIC board are enjoying it; those with a Mediator know that to work the SWAP jumper must be closed.  I found out two items though:

1) It works fine in OS 4.1 and for those without a USB ASIX NIC dongle on a full-speed USB port, it gives the fastest OS 4.1 Classic transfer speeds available (to me).  It appears that an ASIX chip resides on the X-Surf 100 as well.

2) If your Mediator is using a Radeon 92X0 configured for 256 MB, you will not have the memory address space for the X-Surf 100 without removal of any ZorRAM or BigRAM+ boards.  The same thing happens if you try to use the described combination and two (2) ZorRAM/BigRAM+ boards, i.e., you run out of address space. There is no GURU alert of Grim Reaper report, just a failure to work.  

If one were to drop from Z3 to Z2 address space (something I didn't do) and reduce the X-Surf speed (32 vs 16-bit), I am guessing that this might allow use without the removal of a Z3 RAM board or swapping out for a smaller Radeon/Voodoo card.

Now discuss among yourselves...