Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasoses are arriving  (Read 8166 times)

Description:

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
Re: Pegasoses are arriving
« on: April 08, 2003, 08:00:32 PM »
About Softex firmware:
AmigaOne != Teron CX

Why do I say this? Because the Teron CX evolved into the AmigaOne SE. Then came the PX which evolved into the XE. The Softex firmware never ever supported the AmigaOne XE, since it doesn't support either the 750FX or the 74xx CPUs.

I am not sure how many actually know this, but the reason for dropping the Softex firmware was NOT that it didn't work. For _quite_ some time it worked a HELL of a lot better than PPCBoot  :-P . However, having firmware that only support one CPU doesn't pay off in the end, especially if you're aiming to produce boards with other processors. MAI therefore contracted out the work of porting PPCBoot to the boards to Hyperion (ok, that's cutting a few edges, but it'll have to do for now).

So, stop with the "Eyetech lied when they said the firmware worked" thingie, because Linux was able to patch around everything we found of bugs in the Softex firmware. Noone said there wasn't bugs, we just said it worked. Which it did. But 750FX and 74xx support was crucial to the AmigaOne XE, so Softex HAD to go. Thanks for listening, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 09:37:22 PM »
Well, Teron PX with 750CXe is more or less EXCACTLY the same computer as Teron CX with 750CXe. So OF COURSE Softex worked in that case. But I'm still claiming that Softex does NOT support the 750FX and 74xx processors, which was what the AmigaOne XE was being spec'ed with. The AmigaOne XE differs from the Teron PX sent to Tom Gall back then in a couple of ways, though. Positioning of connectors, onboard AC97 codec chip, and type of ethernet chip.

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 09:41:53 PM »
You're not listening, are you? I know both the Teron and AOne use PPCBoot. Actually, U-Boot (PPCBoot has merged with the spin-off product ArmBoot, and gone x86 as well, hence the name-change). But the _reason_ Softex was replaced was afaik that the license with Softex had expired, so there would be a: no bugfixes, and b: no support for newer processors. Bugfixes can be introduced inside the OS. It's _pretty_ dang hard to work around a non-booting BIOS inside an OS...

I'm not saying YOU'RE claiming Eyetech lie either, but I see references to this old dreary story constantly, and 100% of the time it's been told wrong. I'm just trying to introduce some actual facts into the argument, which I understand can be a bit frustrating when you're not used to dealing with that sort of thing  :-P  :-D

Actually, that was a joke. But you get the point?

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 10:09:50 PM »
It wasnt a flame...I genuinely mean that... OS4 will run on AmigaOne for reasons of piracy/etc(so they say)... they chose to do that... no flame there ;P I might have mentioned the old PPC Accelerators it WILL support... but it still wont run on Pegasos..

AOS4 will run on AmigaOne because that's what Eyetech are marketing the AmigaOne FOR. How piracy has ANYTHING to do with AOS4 running on the AmigaOne is WAY beyond me. It does NOT have anything to do with AOS4 running (or not running, as it were) on the Pegasos. That would require actual support from Genesis (or someone else, I guess), which noone has so far been willing to provide. Don't blame Eyetech for that, please...