Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Harald Frank / AROS  (Read 7441 times)

Description:

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
Re: Harald Frank / AROS
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 30, 2003, 12:11:11 AM »
@walter

A nice interesting read but nothing beats this.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2003, 12:30:21 AM »
@Paul_Gadd

A nice interesting read but nothing beats this.

You'd be surprised. Let's just say that episode is a mild one by HF standards.

:roll:
Bill Hoggett

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2003, 02:07:51 PM »
Well I think this is very good news. I can't see a problem with this, as the work is to be submitted under the AROS licence. Don't worry have trust in the AROS team. They rule.

I know everyone deserves a second chance... but IMO only after he settles the problem he had created with Bernd Meyer, not one day before...  

For me these are very bad knews, as I respect a lot AROS team, but somewhat I don't feel Harld for what he'd done in the past deserv to be part of it...

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2003, 02:29:09 PM »
Allmost completly off-topic, but how could I resist ?

Look here  :-P
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2003, 03:01:21 PM »
@Kronos

:-D

I've never known Bernie to be a fool. If someone is going to give him free hardware, he'll take it.

To be perfectly honest, if he is doing paid work for Genesi, who can blame him? I can assure you that Bernie has become a better judge of character over the past two years and that he does read the forums too.

That's not to say I know anything about a Genesi connection. I do know Bernie has a proper job now, so he is at least earning money for his talent, which is about time.

(Incidentally, Bernie did offer to do a PPC version of his JIT 68k emulation some time ago, provided that the company approached - who were not Genesi - were willing to supply him with the hardware and would pay him the going rate for this kind of work)

All this, as you say, is totally OT.    :-P
Bill Hoggett

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »
PS; I don't consider Linux (at this time) as a ?consumer desktop OS? since one has to build/compile source codes not just consume (i.e. "obtain and play" mentality).

What is this thing non-linuxers have with how Linux works?

For reference: The last year I have had to install 1 (ONE) application (that I actually needed. Playing with beta versions of things that might turn out to be a dead end doesn't count, because a user doesn't have to do that) via source. Everything else, including games, has been installed in the usual manner (apt-get install tuxracer for instance). WHY DO WINDOWS USERS KEEP CLAIMING LINUX IS ABOUT COMPILNG SOFTWARE???

God damn hippies ;-)

Offline walter

• Show only replies by walter
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2003, 07:26:42 PM »
He was more outrageous, abusive, incoherent and radiating
pain is some of his list posts.  If ya can believe it.

Very sad.  He killed a REALLY GOOD THING.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2003, 12:31:44 PM »
Sveral things:

1. This post is late, I've been off line for a while.

2. Harald Frank or anybody wishing to contribute to AROS is a good thing.

3. Any violation of our licence will result in the harshest of penalties, if any AROS dev violates any other licence the offending code is removed from our CVS. We take the concept of the "Licence" very seriously.

4. With Mr Frank contrubiting to the AROS project, AROS now has considerable "Industry"/"Comunity" support. Lets give the Amiga comunity a free OS, then software houses can sell some kiss-ass software to run on it!!!!

5. Wasn't Amithlon a "competitor" to AROS?  :-D

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2003, 12:46:06 PM »
yep paul...and we shouldnt foget that anytime soon...that level of nonsense hurts the community...

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2003, 01:41:05 PM »

It's all about ease of use. Linux world could learn things from MacOS X.

For reference: The last year I have had to install 1 (ONE) application

That's you not other people.

Linux may have to adapt to  transparent re-compiling ecosystems.

(that I actually needed. Playing with beta versions of things that might turn out to be a dead end doesn't count, because a user doesn't have to do that) via source. Everything else, including games, has been installed in the usual manner (apt-get install tuxracer for instance).
WHY DO WINDOWS USERS KEEP CLAIMING LINUX IS ABOUT COMPILNG SOFTWARE???

They may not like the infamous command prompt.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2003, 02:03:51 PM »

Should I post my Linux desktop? Careful with "non-linuxers".

For reference: The last year I have had to install 1 (ONE) application

Just one????

(that I actually needed. Playing with beta versions of things that might turn out to be a dead end doesn't count,

Some parts of Linux is still in work in progress e.g. WINE/WINE-X. Odd numbered Linux kernels.

Many Windows software vendors offer public beta/demos/trial thus multiple installations/de-installations. This mentality may have transferred to Linux. This is one of the many ways on how a commercial software vendor markets their pride and joy.  

because a user doesn't have to do that) via source.

IF one has a non-X86 Linux, the chances for this type activity is greater.

Everything else, including games, has been installed in the usual manner (apt-get install tuxracer for instance).

Not click, click...

WHY DO WINDOWS USERS KEEP CLAIMING LINUX IS ABOUT COMPILNG SOFTWARE???

Erm... Kernel and new driver(for new hardware) related issues....
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline IonDeluxe

• Show only replies by IonDeluxe
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2003, 04:28:53 PM »
Somebody said something earlier: AROS is a competitor to Amithlon.

This was what I was thinking too and may be his motivation.

I hope AROS does well, I hope they keep a close eye on HF too.I dont think its going to be a competitor to OS4 or Morphos though.It could very well replace AUE provided you can adjust the speed it runs programs, after all, you dont wanna be playing turrican 10x faster than usual :)

I\\\'d post something satirical, but I\\\'m afraid it might get used as genuine evidence in the Thendic Amiga trial!

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2003, 04:47:08 PM »
Dont think it could be a competitor? ;) if AROS was more mature i know of a zillion ex Amigans that would install it in a flash (and they have no intention of ever buying OS4 or even MOS because it dosent run on what more or less everyone has these days namely a PC)! time will tell i guess but im confident that when AROS hits a mature enough state people will start using it.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2003, 04:56:40 PM »
@bloodline

5. Wasn't Amithlon a "competitor" to AROS?

Not according to Fabio, and I tend to agree, at least as things stand now.  Certainly there is a very marked difference in what the two systems focus on.

Whether the two systems would have become rivals at some point in the future is a matter for speculation.

What I have my doubts about is HF's motivation. He claims to still be updating and developing Amithlon (I'm tempted to say the update is "on track and rockin'" but I won't), yet he is planning to contribute code to an open source project which may in time become a rival. I know HF wants to sell drivers, preferably the same driver for all Amiga-like systems. This works with supplying his library for closed source systems, but as AROS is open source, anyone will be able to write the drivers. Perhaps he is hoping AROS drivers will then be portable back to Amithlon to alleviate the chronic lack of drivers released for that system? Who knows? I've given up trying to read his mind.  :-P
Bill Hoggett

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2003, 04:59:56 PM »
I don't think we will need to keep any special checks on Harald, people don't seem to realise that he has been involved with AROS since 1997, that's even before me  (1998-1999) :-) .

I seem to recall that Harald suggested AROS as the base OS for Amithlon (instead of Linux). But Bernie wasn't happy with that.

I have no insider knowledge on the subject, but I suspect Harald might be thinking of using AROS for future Amithlon projects. I think this would be great, as AROS would get drivers and Harald can continue his/the Emulator.

Please, I don't want to get into political arguments about Amithlon, because I simply don't care. The whole incident was ugly and I may not like the way certain people behaved, but that has nothing to do with AROS.

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2003, 05:38:31 PM »
I have no insider knowledge on the subject, but I suspect Harald might be thinking of using AROS for future Amithlon projects. I think this would be great, as AROS would get drivers and Harald can continue his/the Emulator.

His emulator! ah! Only on his dreams!

Please, I don't want to get into political arguments about Amithlon, because I simply don't care. The whole incident was ugly and I may not like the way certain people behaved, but that has nothing to do with AROS.

Harald still's the same person, and if he nows on AROS team, it has everything to do with AROS!

How do you and other people from AROS project can sleep well at night I don't know, he has done  all the sh*t he has on amithlon, but hey... it doesn't matter as far as he doesn't do the same to us he's very welcome... pelease! At least have some dignity, since he has lost his a long time ago!

Or is it because AROS want to take a slice from Amithlon market!?

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal