Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Excessive Censorship  (Read 1405 times)

Description:

Offline RRunnerTopic starter

• Show only replies by RRunner
Excessive Censorship
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »
I was more than a little disturbed today to see that someone was banned from this site because they tried to defend something that they had done. Whether they were right or wrong is beside the point.

Not only was that person banned, the thread where the "debate" was occurring was locked so no further comments could be posted. Link

So if someone disagrees or argues with a moderator of this site they are banned? If someone says something that a moderator disagrees with the thread is locked so no-one else can comment? What happened to free speech? No-one was being attacked except maybe the person who was banned.

I find this whole thing very troubling. It will be interesting to see if I get banned from this board myself for speaking up.

Please note that I am not acquainted with any of the parties involved in said discussion. I just see this as being wrong, a form of censorship and against the right to freedom of speech.

-=>The RoadRunner<=-
A2000 030/40Mhz, 8Mb RAM, 1GB HD
AmiKit

Offline gklinger

• Show only replies by gklinger
    • http://www.vex.net/~falco
Re: Excessive Censorship
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »
I suspect that you weren't privy to the actions and/or comments that resulted in the person being banned. You can pass judgement on a situation without having all the facts but doing so is ill-advised.

It is my understanding that people who break rules receive warnings and should they fail to heed the warnings, they get banned. Bans are seldom capricious or arbitrary. It's also worth remembering that use of these forums is a privilege and not a right. Food for thought.

The right to free speech must be tempered with an understanding that it does not supersede the rights of others. With rights come responsibilities.
Call me Golan; my parents did.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:09:39 PM »
*I* locked the thread 2 days ago, it was a judgment call based on the tone the thread was taking. *I* also am the one who banned eslapion after repeatedly getting personal attack expletive laced PMs. Here are a couple.

Both an electrician and a master engineer claims this device respects all regulations applicable here... tough {bleep}!

You're just a LYING {bleep}!

Only a person who knows JACK {bleep} about power supplies and electricity would think that.

Stupid ignorant asshole

Anyhow, this kind person is now threatening to sue Amiga.org. IMO he has no leg to stand on, but Amiga.org is not my forum, it is Wayne's. It will be Wayne's decision n how to handle this going forward. If anyone did anything wrong, it is me.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
Then please accept my apology. I was obviously not aware of all the facts nor the exchange you listed above.

I will go sit in the corner with my foot in my mouth. :roll:
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
AmiKit

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »

RRunner wrote:
I find this whole thing very troubling. It will be interesting to see if I get banned from this board myself for speaking up.

Why would you get banned? Please read the moderation policy

The following types of posts or comments are subject to automatic moderation or deletion without question:

1. Any post or comment that insults or defames any user of the site, including the webmasters or moderators.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »

RRunner wrote:
Then please accept my apology. I was obviously not aware of all the facts nor the exchange you listed above.

I will go sit in the corner with my foot in my mouth. :roll:

Haha, no problem. Do you mind if I lock this thread? I'd rather this whole thing die.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:45 PM »
Go ahead. You can even delete it if you like, seeing as how I made an ass out of myself, speaking out without knowing all the facts. That will teach me.  :lol:
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
AmiKit

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »
np

Lockie lockie  :-)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
Haha, no problem. Do you mind if I lock this thread? I'd rather this whole thing die.

I think this thread is a great example of why and when Moderation/Censorship is required and that people here could gain a lot from it.

I can understand RRunners concern when he had taken an interest in that thread and he wrote a very polite request for information and debate.

You (Jim) certainly settled this one and made it perfectly clear why the thread was closed and demonstrated that there is a difference between "Free Speech" and "Abuse".

Well, that's my opinion.  I've been "moderated" myself and it has always been for a damn good reason  :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.