Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCART RGB Lead problem  (Read 18109 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: SCART RGB Lead problem
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »
From the pics it looks like your TV is not switching to RGB mode correctly with the signal coming from the Amiga. Sometimes on modern flatscreen TV's there is a menu system that lets you select which kind of signal the Scart sockets on it should expect (ie: Composote, S Video, RGB).... :)

It could also be that the voltage on the Blanking (Scart Pin 16) and AV Select (Scart Pin8 ) pins and could either be missing or not being interpreted correctly by  the TV... :(

The cable you bought should have have  a connection going to scart pin 16 and this needs > 1 to 3V applied to it for the Blanking Signal otherwise the TV will be trying to display a composite picture...

Pin 8 for the AV/Select should also have +12V on it, to display the Amigas picture correctly in 4:3 Apect ration if your TV is a widescreen version.

Do you have the Brand and Model number of the TV your using...

See here for pinouts Amiga to Scart

http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/AmigaScart_pinout.shtml

I would think the Cable you bought from AmigaKit should be fully wired but you never know, if you can open the SCART hood and check to see if there are connections made to pins 16 & 8 as if there aren't the TV won't switch to RGB mode and you can end up up with a mixed signal like you seem to have... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Pin 20 on the Scart end is used by the Amiga for the composite sync signal  (on the TV itself this is usually for composite video) and should be fine... :)

Pin 8 (Scart side)  I always just connect up directly to pin 22 on the Amiga (+12v)

Pin 16 (Scart side) again I always just connect up directly to pin 23 on the Amiga (+5v)

I have always made my own cables up and never had the need to put resistors inline on any of the connections and have never had any problems getting them to display a picture. The only time I came across this was with an Amiga I bought on eBay which came with an Amiga To SCART RGB cable it wouldn't switch my TV in the living room to RGB (resulting in pictures much like you posted), when I opened up the hoods and spotted the resistors I removed them and re-soldered the wires up directly and it worked fine after that... :)

It's up to yourself, but if there are resistors inline with pins 16 & 8 I would remove them and solder the wire up directly, in 25 years I've never damaged an Amiga or TV by not having these resistors in the cable... :)

PS: If your not too sure about using your meter to measure the voltage then I would advise against it as you could damage your Amiga if you do it wrong... :eek:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
Looking at that pic I'd build me own cable (use good quality OFC shielded cable more expensive but worth it) as you shouldn't be getting that ghost image like that appearing... :)

I've made one before 12 metres long and still got a prefect picture, could still be something to do with the TV though, try and get me the Make and model no and I'll see what I can find out... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;630447
Modifying a perfectly good cable based on hear-say in this forum is not a wise thing to do.

Every Scart cable from us has been made to modern LCD TV standards and is fully wired.  The cable has been assembled correctly and has been Quality Tested before despatch to customer.  We test on a wide range of models and use a widely used schematic.

Forums can be a good source of information sometimes but it is better to consult with your dealer before resorting to modifying the product and jumping to conclusions that there is a fault in the product.

Ahem... no one said there was a fault in the product... ;)

I simply suggested that he check the product was fully wired and stated that I thought it would be... :)

It's not "hear-say" it's 25 years of experience making such cables for my own use that I advised him with. Modern LCD TVs can be quite hit and miss when it comes to using an Amiga RGB signal with them (as well as DVD Recorders) and in some cases it take a bit of tinkering to build a cable that suits a particular set... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »
Pin 20 on The SCART Connector for Composite & Pin 17 for its Earth/GND.... :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:58:38 AM by Franko »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
Hi Tribz... :)

To wire up the composite video connector of the Amiga like AlexH is advising you... :)

You need to connect the central wire of the Composite Video Phono cable to PIN 20 on the SCART connector and the outer sheilding/earth wire of the composite video phono cable to PIN 17 of the SCART connector... :)

Hope that's a wee bit more simpler to understand... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
AV2 SCART socket on a lot of TVs are usually not RGB enabled and that is most likely why your getting a clear (although composite) picture using that socket... :)

AV1 SCART sockets are usually RGB enabled and from the pic you've just posted it looks to me like it's trying to display both a Composite and RGB signal at the same time... :(
Hence the "double" image your getting... :(

That's what the voltages that get applied to pins 16 & 8 on the Scart socket are for, to tell your TV to switch to RGB display mode and not display the Composite picture. It looks like your TV is not switching to RGB mode and instead trying to display a composite and RGB picture at the same time... :(

It could be one of many different reasons for this but most likely it's the voltages going to pins 16 & 8 on the Scart connector that are incorrect and thus your TV is not switching to RGB mode... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »
Off topic but... Is anyone else having problems with the site being dead slow the past few days and getting "DataBase Errors" showing up... it's driving me nuts... :(

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
Quote from: tribz;630720
The remaining ghosting was caused by having the L/R rca being wired at the DB23 end. Must have been some interference. I've connected them in at the SCART end and no ghosting at all now, great picture.

http://www.datacenta.it/Photo7.jpg (phone cam not doing it justice)

Thanks for all the help. This is a milestone day for my miggy. Everything done, time to play.

Glad you finally got it sorted... :)

So which way worked best for you resistors or no resistors ??? :)

(sorry the sites so slow just now, I've only just spotted your reply... always found myself putting in these resistors cause a lot of problems with LCD/flatscreen TV's... ;))
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:40:43 PM by Franko »

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
Quote from: utri007;630740
Just to be sure, NO resistor for 12v wire? Fron pin 22 to pin 16??

It looks like that's what tribz has done, as I say I've found having these resistors on the cable to cause a lot of these problems with flatscreen TVs... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »
From what he's described after following the advice given here, he's simply removed any of the resistors that were in the cable and instead of using the composite sync signal coming from the Amigas 23 PIN Video output, he's spliced in a Phono/RCA cable to use the Amigas Composite Video output for the sync signal instead... :)

(The composite sync signal given out by the Amiga's 23 PIN D-SUB Video output can be very flakey when used with a lot of modern flatscreen TVs and sometimes you have to use the Amigas Phono/RCA Composite Video output instead to get a clean sync signal...:))

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
Quote from: utri007;634581
I ordered scart cable from Amikit, picture quality is PERFECT :) even in hires modes, no flickerin/blur etc.

My last question is: It works only in SCART1, SCART2 doesn't give picture at all. SCART1 is RGB, but is it possible to make cable wich gives picture from SCART2???

I've 3 amigas, wich I wanto to connect to LCD TV

Most TVs only have SCART1 RGB enabled and unfortunately on most TVs SCART2 usually is only hard wired for Composite and SVIDEO... :(

Sometimes on more expensive TV's there is a menu whereby you can switch SCART2 to RGB but this is quite rare and it's usually a case of SCART2 not being hard wired for RGB... ;)