Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?  (Read 5994 times)

Description:

Offline barney

• Show all replies
Re: How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?
« on: December 16, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;718887
It is the one with the Red "Amiga Keys" and I just saw one go for $61 on *Bay; I had read this in the past:

"The Cherry G80-0879 and G80-0904 were the first generation of keyboards to ship with the Amiga 2000. It features Cherry MX black switches, and the standard Amiga layout. The keycaps are double-shot  ABS plastic and originally featured a slightly lighter almond and light  grey color-scheme than the default Cherry keycap color-scheme. ...
Among Amiga collectors, the keyboard fetches high prices and is  highly sought after, due to its rarity. The keyboard was only in  production for the first batch of Amiga 2000 computers and was later  replaced by a more cost efficient foam and foil variant made by Mitsumi."

and

"Doommaster reckons this keyboard is worth hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately his forum is offline so I can't link you.
[edit: forum back online, actual value $1200: http://www.retrogeekcomputers.com/ph...c.php?f=4&t=28"

This $1200 keyboard info is a bunch of crap.  There isn't a single Amiga keyboard worth that much.  I've owned a few of them myself, so they can't be too rare.  The Amiga 2000 keyboard with the red Amiga keys is simply a keyboard that was made/sold in Finland.  They also made the same style keyboard with mechanical switches but without the red Amiga keys.  I have owned about 3 of them.  Note:  The easiest way to spot the better Amiga keyboard is it says "Amiga 2000" without the word "Commodore" above it.  Now if this was supposedly a $1200 keyboard, then why didn't the recent auction reach $1200?  Because nobody in their right mind would pay that.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:02:08 PM by barney »

Offline barney

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
I hear ya.  I wasn't coming after you on that comment.  Doomy actually told me the same thing in person and I questioned it then.  He told me her owned 3 of them himself.  For him to own 3 and me to have owned 2, it can't be that rare.

Offline barney

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
The easiest way to spot the better Amiga keyboard is it says "Amiga 2000" without the word "Commodore" above it.

Offline barney

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
Not all Space Invader Amiga keyboards have the red Amiga keys.  They also made one with regular black keys.  The keyboard itself has the same shape.

I sold one on Ebay about 2 months ago.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:37:30 PM by barney »