Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?  (Read 5993 times)

Description:

Offline Jope

Re: How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »
I wrote that post you quoted VERY tongue in cheek. They are not all that valuable in reality, Doomy's well known for overestimating anything he reckons is good. Maybe I should have sprinkled the text with lots of smileys.

What someone wants to pay for it is its value for the day.

Personally I dislike the A2000 cherry keyboard, since it has a different layout than most other Amiga keyboards. Small function keys + gaps between alt+amiga and space. There are also slight timing differences because they use Philips made keyboard controllers, unlike all other Amiga keyboards, however you probably will never encounter any software that would fail to read the keyboard.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:25:49 PM by Jope »

Offline Jope

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
Quote from: barney;719365
I hear ya.  I wasn't coming after you on that comment.

I didn't really take it like that.. Just thought I'd clarify my stance. :-)

Doomy actually told me the same thing in person and I questioned it then.  He told me her owned 3 of them himself.  For him to own 3 and me to have owned 2, it can't be that rare.

Yeh, I have two as well. I'd say the NMB space invader keyboard is more rare, but I have five of those so is it that rare after all, or have I just been patient enough when tracking them down? :-)

Quote from: barney;719367
The easiest way to spot the better Amiga keyboard is it says "Amiga 2000" without the word "Commodore" above it.

Even easier: the Amiga keys are red. No other Amiga keyboard has them in that colour.

http://jope.fi/amiga/amikbd/cherryfull.jpg

But yeah, just looking at that picture, the Cherry keyboard is very distinctive in its looks. The cover isn't properly closed in that pic, hence it looks a bit wonky around the upper row of keys.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:34:29 PM by Jope »

Offline Jope

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »
Quote from: barney;719446
Not all Space Invader Amiga keyboards have the red Amiga keys.  They also made one with regular black keys.  The keyboard itself has the same shape.

I sold one on Ebay about 2 months ago.

Hmm, none of those have red Amiga keys. I was talking about Cherry kbds when I wrote that. :-)

Space invader keyboards have a Commodore key instead of the left Amiga key and the keyboard layout is identical to the Mitsumi keyboard.

Here is one in case someone else is interested in how they look like. This one is fitted to an A500, but the A2000 one is almost identical. Transistor Q1 (generates kbd reset) and the LEDs are missing if it's fitted to an A2000.
http://jope.fi/amiga/amikbd/nmbtop.jpg
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 07:32:23 AM by Jope »