Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?  (Read 5992 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaverTopic starter

How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »
It is the one with the Red "Amiga Keys" and I just saw one go for $61 on *Bay; I had read this in the past:

"The Cherry G80-0879 and G80-0904 were the first generation of keyboards to ship with the Amiga 2000. It features Cherry MX black switches, and the standard Amiga layout. The keycaps are double-shot  ABS plastic and originally featured a slightly lighter almond and light  grey color-scheme than the default Cherry keycap color-scheme. ...
Among Amiga collectors, the keyboard fetches high prices and is  highly sought after, due to its rarity. The keyboard was only in  production for the first batch of Amiga 2000 computers and was later  replaced by a more cost efficient foam and foil variant made by Mitsumi."

and

"Doommaster reckons this keyboard is worth hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately his forum is offline so I can't link you.
[edit: forum back online, actual value $1200: http://www.retrogeekcomputers.com/ph...c.php?f=4&t=28"

Offline danbeaverTopic starter

Re: How Rare is an Amiga Cherry Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
I have a few A2000 keyboards; one is mechanical and the devil to clean; the others use a carbonized rubber, but none use a membrane.  I have 2 A4000 keyboards that are great.

For my PC I have a new 122 key Unicomp keyboard (they supplied IBM for a while, now make replacement keyboards for every old IBM model).  I still have an old original IBM AT keyboard -- heavy, clicky, durable as a tank -- but it doesn't match my eyes!  Er, I mean my black PC, so I replaced it.

I like the tactile and audible keyboards the best; the Amiga's are fav's with me because of the large return key; the PC-122 from Unicomp also has a large Return key.