Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple News: They made $4bn profit  (Read 5405 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show all replies
Apple News: They made $4bn profit
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:40:22 AM »
$4 billion profit. Hats off to them.

:flame:  :hat:

Let the flames begin.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

• Show all replies
Re: Apple News: They made $4bn profit
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:26:23 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;585808
I disagree, Windows 7 needs a gig of Ram, a GHz of processor, 16 gig of HD space and at least a DX9 GFX card.  What do I get in return for this over a 32Meg 486? Not enough IMHO. I now run a machine that's over 100 times faster than my old blue lightning but it's far from 100 times quicker in practice, so much power is eaten up by the OS. Even mundane background programs like the BBC iPlayers updater use over 30Mb of RAM and as for the file structure, who knows what half of those .dll files do, why many of them are repeated over your hard disk or if they are even necessary. Even MS themselves have admitted that they have lost track of the file interdepedencies in Windows. The only reality is that MS has a monopoly that can't be broken. I use Windows because I have to (my university software requires it), not because I like it. Windows needs trimming down, I don't need half of the extra nanny managers nor do I need a stack of built in drivers for hardware I don't have and when I uninstall a piece of hardware and reboot I certainly don't need Windows installing it's own drivers when I boot up again without bloody well asking me or deciding to reboot because it's updated myself and I loose the last half hour of my Galactic Civ II game. I know, I know, I can change the update options.....and then it nags me to change them back to what MS thinks is best for me. Grrr...decent OS? your joking surely.

It just shows you that Microsoft aren't talented just lucky. Except for maybe Windows 95 (imho) nothing they have done has been particularly imaginative or user-friendly. And of course Office 97-2003 seems to cross all the t's, dot all the i's.

Is it true they got outside developers to do Windows XP?

Compared to MacOS 68k/PPC it's a finely crafted user interface with easy to understand preferences etc.

AmigaOS, I wouldn't say out of the box user-friendly, but you can learn how do everything in a hour (and not forget it because it's intuitive).
Go Go Gadget Signature!

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;585962
Talk about missing my point completely!!

I'm not saying a 486 could do the things a modern PC can do, If it could I wouldn't have paid out for a modern PC, I'de still be running my old 486. What I am saying is that the relative power is wasted, you can quote all the "but it costs less now" arguments you like, I don't care! It doesn't change the fact does it. The BBC iPlayer app was a great case to point and you didn't even read what I said did you. No, read it again man, this time pay attention. I said that the UPDATER used over 30Mb of RAM, not the app, it's not processing any video or doing anything clever, it's just checking every 5 minutes or so to see if an update is present. Tell me a 486 couldn't do that and I'll laugh at you. Next time you comment on my post, do me favour and read it first.

I second that.
You buy a simple puzzler game online and most of it is bloatware. First you download a small exe file. You run that and it downloads a downloader. The downloader downloads a shell for running games. Then finally you can download the game and run it via the shell.
Except for flash which I've seen use up to 80% CPU time you could easily view anything on the net with 16MB-32MB.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:19:27 AM »
Quote from: runequester;586625
Having a job where I have the misfortune of occasionally having to teach basic computer tasks to people who have no idea about computers, the notion that windows is somehow "intuitive" is hogwash.
People use "intuitive" when they should have said "what I am used to"

Amiga and 68k MacOS is intuitive. I've seen people who have never used a computer before get the hang of it in around a minute. My cousin who is actually quite thick had no trouble remembering amigados commands and any other tinkering, but gave up on computers (meaning PC) when the playstation 2 came out.
I found Windows 95 simple enough to pick up after only knowing how to use a dos based directory manager.
Use to be that you could learn the basics without ever consulting a book or guide.
Go Go Gadget Signature!