Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: News from Hyperion  (Read 4858 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: News from Hyperion
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 31, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »
@reflect

You know, I did not see Piru as putting down this effort, only offering his viewpoint.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 10:14:39 PM »
just admit it your just to biased, and no one feel sorry for your bad choice that is called pegasos/morphos. its time to move on and buy os4.0 and the hw that runs it...

What hardware that runs it :-? 10+ year old Cyberstorm for $1,000? :lol: Hardly new. Sam is no more a target platform then Efika. If Sam even shipping? Has it ever shipped? There is NO new hardware for sale capable of running OS4.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »
@reflect

You're entitled to have your opinion. As an OS developer, however, I see many of the OS4 design choices as quite - well frankly - bad. Many of those bad choices were later reversed, though. Yet, I see OS4 as half-breed between totally new concept and trying to stick to 3.x compatibility. The result: Not quite all brand new system, yet not quite 3.x compatible system either. But hey, I bet 4.1 (assuming the legal troubles can be resolved) will solve all this by throwing away rest of the legacy "crap".

Still, considering the time spent, and the availability of technology and information at the time, I still rank 1.3 -> 2.0 much higher than 3.9 -> 4.0.

You don't need to agree.

Oh heh, it's 2008 here btw, better get back to work now :-)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 05:18:50 AM »
@Piru

Who is more compatible to AmigaOS 3.x:
MorphOS?
or OS4?
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 06:17:48 AM »
AFAIK MorphOS 2 is under development and will support Efika.

Question is, will AROS beat MOS2 to EFIKA?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
Well. at least some things never change, like Hyperion statements full of laughably exagerated claims. "Hyperion renowned AmigaOS 4"?? Biggest update since 1987???

No word on putting all the Amiga eggs in the PPC basket and then watching the bottom fall out of it, so all we're left with is a smelly mess on the floor? Nothing about delivering only about half a decade too late?

Hyperion, have a nice 2008, but YOU BLEW IT!!!
Bill Hoggett

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »
This is announcement is a mixed bag for me.

I always like the way vendors give their New Years Greetings...it really hits home on the New Year, giving one excitement and anticipation for the New Year...just brightens the holiday, these greetings, and all the other ones you get from friends and family, of course.

Then again, Hyperion's announcement is confusing... Hyperion's operating system?  Is is Hyperion OS 4 or Amiga OS 4?

Not that I like Amiga, but when Hyperion writes a strangely worded missive, I have to wonder if their lawyers asked them to write this greeting, or if it was genuine.

On the other hand, I do not share some of the same criticism I have read in this thread...  largest update, yes.  Largest just means the largest in terms of bytes the update takes on disk.  It probably is the largest update.

Amigans used to value efficiency, and didn't brag about how bloated something was...but the truth is....larger tends to be better, for various reasons, i.e. more features, doing more...supporting a whole new hardware architecture.

The main thing of interest is that they plan to support a larger range of hardware options.

Someone said its not Amigas business model, to support unlicensed platforms, like old Mac hardware or Genesi hardware....I had to laugh...please, I know what you mean, but business model it is not.  It's their current rules maybe... a 'business' implies something, that I don't think Amiga knows much about.

Anyway...happy new years to everyone.  And Hyperion...not really a fan of what you've done with Amiga OS, other the you did something... but then again, what would have been Amiga OS, MorphOS, has done something too, they just don't have the name....but Hyperion, wish you the best anyway, and I hope you succeed in 2008, supporting a wide range of platforms, with your updated, but still obsolete, Hyperion OS 4... I hope you get there, a modern Amiga-like, Hyperion OS 4, would be interesting indeed.

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »
@Bhoggett

Thank you!  Been saying that for months.  By the same token, x86 is just a gilded cage.  I say, take control of the platform, if you can't own the parts in it, I want none of it.  License ARM, SPARC, MIPS, SuperH, SOMEONE that you can, should your vendor flake out on you, you can go to someone else with!
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
Hyperion Entertainment extends its best wishes for 2008 to all of its customers and supporters world-wide.

Best wishes to Hyperion Entertainment, the OS4 development team and OS4 beta testers.

My classic Amiga is an ancient A2000HD, which I purchased in 1989.  It has been running Amiga OS3.1 for many years.

Just over 3 years ago, I purchased a Micro AmigaOne.  On December 18, 2004, I powered up my brand new MicroA1 for the first time and installed AmigaOS 4.0 from the CD.  Clean install on a brand new machine with no other operating system required.  No fuss or bother.

For me, AmigaOS 4.0 was a joy to behold.  It was familiar, colourful and usable.

And that was AmigaOS 4.0 Developer Pre-release update 1.

Since then, I have updated as new updates became available (update 2, update 3, update 4, OS4 Final Update (aka December 2006 update) and July 2007 update).

I use my OS4 machine every day for web browsing, listening to internet music and general enjoyment.

Thanks to Hyperion, the OS4 development team, and OS4 beta testers for a very fine product.

I look forward to more updates in 2008.

---
redfox
MicroA1-C (IBM PowerPC 750 GX)
AmigaOS 4.0 July 2007 Update

Offline miksuh

• Show only replies by miksuh
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
Poster: DJBase  Posted: 2007/12/31 16:51:59
...with heavy cardboard box, dedicated emergency floppy and glossy Quick Start manual, brought professional production values back to the Amiga platform which have not been seen since the demise of Commodore.

Oh really? What about OS3.5/3.9? Were these not professional productions?

And from where did you get AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 with heavy cardboard box, dedicated emergency floppy and printed manual? I would really like to hear where you did get those, because all I got was a CD and nothing else.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
Tying "professional" to a card-box and some printed manual ain't the most stupid thing I've heard in the Amiga-market, but it surely makes the top 10 list ....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »
Who is more compatible to AmigaOS 3.x:
MorphOS? or OS4?

Good question, but I may risk an opinion. IMHO MorphOS wins the compatibility race. It also runs 68K apps faster, and support for WarpUP/PowerUP programs either never existed or was recently removed from OS4.

However, UAE beats them both :-)

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »
..the Amiga 1200/3000/4000 version of AmigaOS 4.0, with heavy cardboard box, dedicated emergency floppy and glossy Quick Start manual...
:cry: My "heavy cardboard box" got crushed in shipping....